Mobile edition and iPhone

blakeh

I purchased the mobile edition of whmcs and didn't really find much here on making it not zoom out as much on the iPhone, so I thought I'd post what I've come up with.

This is just a quick little hack to make the mobile interface a little more iphone friendly.

First, in the mobile/templates directory, edit the style.css file and change the line that says:

font-family: Tahoma;

To this:

font-family: Tahoma, Helvetica;

Second, edit the header.tpl file.

Right after the 4th line (the line that starts with <meta http-equiv...)

insert the following line:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=290">

Then save the file.

You can tinker with things by changing the value of 290 to anything between 250 and 320.

Optionally, you can also add:

<meta name="viewport" content=user-scalable=0">

on the next line if you want to disable zooming on the mobile edition. Since the header.tpl is loaded by all the pages, this is really all you have to do.

You can also play with the font size in the style.css file as well.

It should not affect how the mobile edition displays on other phones, but I don't have a way to test that directly.

bh

• 1 month later...

Using my iphone I use the normal admin interface rather than the limited mobile edition. It works great being able to see everything about customer accounts. Just curious, if you have an iphone why you would want to use the mobile edition ?

Si

Because iPhone internet is slow and the mobile edition is much lighter and quicker to load.

fair enough - I'm in the UK and use mine on the O2 3g network and have to say that even on 'edge' it is acceptably fast enough for me. I guess it does depend on your network though.

Si

I don't have a iPhone, but do use the AT&T network with my wireless laptop card. The iPhone and my wireless card does use the same network. When I am connected to "3G" things are fine, very acceptable speed. However there is one thing I have noticed when the "3G" signal drops below a signal strength of -90 dBm, the "3G" speed is really slow.

Of course when there isn't any "3G" signal, the much slower "2G" signal takes over automatically and this is like being on a dial up connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
@sparky - if you're looking for a mobile detection and redirection script check this out, it's one of my sites and the code works on a vast array of handsets and allows you to set different URLs for different devices.

http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi/

Has anyone come up with a mobile sign up template yet?

Sorry, I don't need a detection script. I gave one to Jas and helped him set it up.

Yes, I shouuld mention that I had to recut all the templates to suit my site style, but I've found it to work great on just about every pda & mobile I can get my hands on (haven't tried an eww-phone)

However, when its all you got, its all you got.

I get complete functionality (except tooltip help hovers of course), including dns lookups, ordering, tickets & kb. What didn't work?

Edited by Zorro67
extra

• 3 weeks later...

I would still like to see an iphone app for whmcs.

Something like credit card terminal in the app store. (http://www.innerfence.com/apps/credit-card-terminal) but allows you to run simple transaction (say your selling hosting/design packages) so you need to do 1 large charge and then setup a hosting account that comes out monthly.

With credit card terminal you can't store credit cards for later use. If you could store credit cards it would allow you to add your customer to whmcs when your back in the office.

A mobile whmcs/terminal. I'd pay $49+ for that ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...