How is this still allowed/being ignored?

zomex

Hello,

This has been brought up in the past but completely ignored by WHMCS staff so I am raising it again.

Your license reseller program:

https://www.whmcs.com/resellers/

Clearly states that licenses can only be sold by web hosting providers in bundled with reseller, VPS and/or dedicated hosting.

Yet we have thememetro.com who is authorised to sell licenses with their WHMCS Templates and has been doing so for years.

WHMCS why is this allowed when you terms clearly state it isn't? It's a huge disadvantage to your other developers and is one example of why a lot of us are starting to add support for competing software.

Always was curious as to why they were provided an exception for selling of licenses.
Honestly, I would have to say that even if they're obtaining licenses for the normal reseller cost, they're then selling the design that it comes with *very* cheaply. Seems unlikely to be the normal license cost for it to be a valid cost of doing business in selling templates.

This is the email I get 2021

Although we have some legacy resellers that are bundling with non-hosting related products we are no longer accepting new applications for this category of resellers. We officially only allow hosting companies that bundle WHMCS with their reseller hosting packages.

Regards,

Johnny Kim
Partner Manager
WHMCS, Ltd.

7 hours ago, bear said:

Always was curious as to why they were provided an exception for selling of licenses.
Honestly, I would have to say that even if they're obtaining licenses for the normal reseller cost, they're then selling the design that it comes with *very* cheaply. Seems unlikely to be the normal license cost for it to be a valid cost of doing business in selling templates.

Indeed it doesn't make any sense. In terms of their pricing perhaps it is viable for them. I see the domain comes back to India so perhaps a smaller margin is possible. Maybe not everyone who orders opts for a license as they already have one. Perhaps a low introductory offer but renews much higher.

4 hours ago, wsa said:

This is the email I get 2021

Although we have some legacy resellers that are bundling with non-hosting related products we are no longer accepting new applications for this category of resellers. We officially only allow hosting companies that bundle WHMCS with their reseller hosting packages.

Regards,

Johnny Kim
Partner Manager
WHMCS, Ltd.

I have been using WHMCS for over 13 years and always kept an eye on the reseller program. From what I can remember it has always stated for hosting providers only. Theme Metro was registered in 2015, I don't buy it being any different in 2015. All of the license resellers such as licensepal and licensecart have not offered WHMCS for this very policy.

Edited by zomex

4 minutes ago, zomex said:

I have been using WHMCS for over 13 years and always kept an eye on the reseller program. From what I can remember it has always stated for hosting providers only.

I also check the site like once a week

15 hours ago, zomex said:

From what I can remember it has always stated for hosting providers only.

Previously there had been resellers allowed (straight license, no hosting needed). Licensecart, Licensepal and others sold licenses directly as a standalone product. That was eventually changed to "only with hosting of some kind", but I don't recall the date it was done. I believe it coincided with the end of owned licenses in favor of the current lease only license.
Been a while , so my memory of it has faded.