Determining reason for fraud rejection

snake

When an order is flagged as fraud and rejected, I am having problems figuring out why it has been flagged as fraud.
Most of the time it is obvious because it comes from a foreign country, and I only deal with UK customers, so I don't even have to bother investigating.
However, sometimes I get legitimate orders flagged as fraud and I cannot tell why and the only solution is to email fraudlabs and ask them. This obviously isn't great, since it takes several days to get a response, leaving the customer hanging.

For example, in the latest case it was because the address was a "virtual address" provided by a company formation service and didn't match the cardholders address, but it doesn't tell me this anywhere in the WHMCS fraud check results.

So how am I supposed to determine the cause for the order being rejected and the reasons for the high risk score?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, snake said:

When an order is flagged as fraud and rejected, I am having problems figuring out why it has been flagged as fraud.
Most of the time it is obvious because it comes from a foreign country, and I only deal with UK customers, so I don't even have to bother investigating.
However, sometimes I get legitimate orders flagged as fraud and I cannot tell why and the only solution is to email fraudlabs and ask them. This obviously isn't great, since it takes several days to get a response, leaving the customer hanging.

For example, in the latest case it was because the address was a "virtual address" provided by a company formation service and didn't match the cardholders address, but it doesn't tell me this anywhere in the WHMCS fraud check results.

So how am I supposed to determine the cause for the order being rejected and the reasons for the high risk score?

WHMCS has no fraud check build in, as such if you are using the FraudLabs service, they are the best to answer that question. You probably have a control panel with them on which you can check the score on why it was marked as fraud. WHMCS will just mark the order as fraud based on the score you set but the scoring itself is done by the service.

Yggdrasil is spot on, you'd need to get the data from an external system - I do think it'd be good for that data to be included for admins to see inside of whmcs. 

A few times we've checked and realised there's something very untoward with a customer- that should be very apparent to us in billing software and not have to go through to an external site for the same integration 

Obviously i know that whmcs does not have built in fraud protection, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this question.

I am using fraudlabs, and their control panel doesn't provide any more details than is shown in whmcs.

Even fraudlabs themselves couldn't tell me How I can determine the reason for the fraud. They said i have too contact them to find out, which seems crazy.