Annual invoice for all domains

On 5/2/2022 at 1:55 PM, Bigol'tastynuggets said:

Nothing wrong with discussion, I don't see why it'd be done that way anyway but the site is pretty dead

I wasn't going to reply but my reason for asking him why he was asking all of these questions is because I thought they were already answered and/or self explanatory.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:01 AM, evolve hosting said:

Why are you asking all of these questions?

You would go through and manually renew any other domains that you wanted through the client portal afterwards. If you don't want to renew for any longer at the moment, you'll do nothing and wait until your annual invoice arrives the next year to renew again.

Ah gosh I was just curious. If you go through and manually renew the domain name, they are now generating a separated invoice. And by doing a yearly invoice I can tell you what happens...Most users will go off and turn auto renew off in your system because they don't want to be billed for domains they don't want. At this point the yearly invoice will useless and they will just manually renew domains as they see fit, which is more or less exactly what WHMCS already does. This without mentioning that changing invoices after they are issued is not allowed in some jurisdiction. Having options per domain is far more granular than bulk.

There is no need to be angry, I was just asking how this is supposed to work for someone with tons of domains which they don't want or don't even know yet if they are going to renew. Don't get me wrong, this might work for some specific corporate customers, but for most consumers they are just going to increase support tickets replying to have domains removed from an invoice because they don't want them included. I just don't see what advantages this is bringing over issues. Or people wondering why you want to charge them many months ahead of renewal. Not to mention most people will not wait for a yearly invoice, for important domains they will just renew them before they even receive the yearly invoice. Personally, I don't see how a yearly invoice is better here. But that is just me.

You need to consider many different things, like not having domains included in your yearly invoice that just go transferred in and other issues. Domains transferred out but already included in the invoice... Some domain names don't have a grace period at all, they go into redemption the next day which means the price is now completely different to your renewal price. Domains change states independently unless you sync the dates many domains have different billing rates which are mostly affected by dates.

I'm not against this idea, I was just curious how someone will handle all these situations and I don't think you really considered all the problems yet. There is a reason not a single domain company does this and I can mention dozens of issues on why they don't. They bill per domain for a reason or all domains in a giving close expiration date. Unless you plan to completely tweak how WHMCS works with invoices, domains and dates, this can be done with hooks and API and just turn billing off for domains in WHMCS. Is it possible? Yes, it can be done but there many more issues you are not taking into consideration, including if your invoice is billed with credits or CC and they did not want a domain included for renewal.

I personally don't think you know how domain and renewals work properly, with all the different extensions, times and prices. Based on your post about renewing domains for 10 years....in a different post. Hence believe me when I tell you that a yearly invoice for all domains that expire in the next year will give you a headache with issues, complaints and problems.

Edited by yggdrasil