Hook to add the `Email Sending Failed` errors from the System Activity Log directly to the relevant ticket?

ramf

Hi,
Now when sending an ticket reply to a client / contact while there is a problem with the email address - the email will not be sent (although there will be no indication of that in the ticket log) and it will be logged in the System Activity Log like that:

Email Sending Failed - Email Sending Failed: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: email@domain.com The mail server could not deliver mail to email@domain.com. The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries. (Subject: [Ticket ID:XXXXXXX]

Or

Email Sending Failed - Email Sending Failed: SMTP Error: The following recipients failed: email@domain.com: Temporary local problem - please try later (Subject: [Ticket ID: XXXXX]

Or any other such `Email Sending Failed` errors.

As mentioned before there is no indication in the ticket that there was a problem and unless we manually search for such errors in the System Activity Log or we get a complaint from the client - we have no way to know this ticket reply was not sent to the client.

Now since in most (or maybe in all) such `Email Sending Failed` errors there is a clear indication of the ticket ID (in the examples above I changed the actual Ticket ID to XXX) I think that  it should be  easy to use a hook to add the relevant error as an inside note to the relevant ticket and the ticket status to change to "open" or "customer reply" or maybe another predefined status. 

Can someone provide such an hook that can handle such issue?

We need to know if there is a problem with a ticket reply we sent a client / contact - and keeping an eye on such errors in the System Activity Log is not realistic. I think that adding the information to the ticket with a clear way showing that there is a problem (with the new status and the inside note) will make things really better.

What do you say?

Can someone help?

Regards,
Ram

• 7 months later...

I was having an issue with sending email and even though my issue was not the same this post helped me fix my error.
I found that I had entered my personal email in my admin profile and used the email from the hosting admin for smtp sending.
I still have to find the answer to to why verification email isn't sending, I'll look at the logs next