Pay Methods error

We've come across a potential quirk with the pay methods page and wondered if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

After reporting the issue to WHMCS they are blaming the MyWorks PayPal Billing module but I haven't seen any other users reporting the same thing which is a bit strange.

To reproduce the error go to Billing > Pay Methods > Add new card > Enter any test card data and submit

After doing this we are seeing this error (full error is stripped but you get the picture):

Oops!
Something went wrong and we couldn't process your request.
Please go back to the previous page and try again.

Error: Call to a member function getDisplayName() on null in /home/user/public_html/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/ClientArea/Account/PaymentMethodsController.php:0
Stack trace:

**unable to insert anymore as the community software is throwing up an error!**

This happens with all clients, new or old, regardless of the default payment method they use.

We are running WHMCS v7.10 and the issue is there on the default Six theme and also after removing all custom hooks.

The gateways in use are:

- Sagepay repeats

- Myworks PP billing

- Nifty Gocardless

- Bank transfer

One thing I was curious over is what gateway WHMCS is trying to attach cards to that are added via the Pay Methods page because AFAIK our card module (Sagepay repeats) doesn't allow you to add a new card without an associated invoice/payment (or it didn't prior to pay methods being instroduced) so I wondered if this could be the issue and if the PP module is actually a red herring?

Edited by D9Hosting

5 hours ago, D9Hosting said:

After reporting the issue to WHMCS they are blaming the MyWorks PayPal Billing module but I haven't seen any other users reporting the same thing which is a bit strange.

there is an argument that development on that module has been discontinued....

5 hours ago, D9Hosting said:

One thing I was curious over is what gateway WHMCS is trying to attach cards to that are added via the Pay Methods page because AFAIK our card module (Sagepay repeats) doesn't allow you to add a new card without an associated invoice/payment (or it didn't prior to pay methods being introduced) so I wondered if this could be the issue and if the PP module is actually a red herring?

i'm sure the Kipper once said that SagePay doesn't trigger the Pay Methods link, so if that's the case you might only need to worry about MyWorks and Nifty... i'd suggest contacting Nifty first and seeing if they can rule out their module being the cause.... you could try MyWorks, but from previous comments on other threads, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

either way, it won't be bank transfer causing this, so it's likely one of the third-party gateways that you listed.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

I think it must be the MyWorks PP module causing the issue as Nifty have said their module wouldn't trigger the pay methods link so I'll migrate away from the PP module and see how it goes.

Just to confuse things even further, when I try to add a card from the admin area I get a message saying no active gateways support this, which suggests that none of the active modules should be triggering the pay links feature on the client side so who knows!? 

whmcs.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone who has the same issue. We've just updated to WHMCS v8 and the "Add payment method" button is (rightly) no longer shown to the client, so whatever the issue was got fixed in the upgrade.

......now to get used to the new admin area menu where everything seems to take far more clicks than it should to get to where you want to go.

13 minutes ago, D9Hosting said:

......now to get used to the new admin area menu where everything seems to take far more clicks than it should to get to where you want to go.

Fun, right? System settings, no sort option and large puffy buttons is one of my favorites. 😉 
Not meaning to hijack, but the changes are annoying to us all. 

16 minutes ago, bear said:

Fun, right? System settings, no sort option and large puffy buttons is one of my favorites. 😉 
Not meaning to hijack, but the changes are annoying to us all. 

My colleague just spent her entire lunch break trying to find where the domain pricing page had gone 😬

It may seem insignificant but the thing I noticed straight away was the lack of the system time at the top of the page as that always comes in useful when checking through the logs and tickets. Thank god for Brian!