Links in Admin Menu

yggdrasil

6 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

I'm not sure  about this if it was WHMCS or another competitor but if memory serves me right you could add your own links for staff on the admin WHMCS menu. Again, sorry if this was not WHMCS but if is this was WHMCS is the feature gone?

it doesn't particularly ring any bells, though the admin menu is just HTML, so can be edited... granted in v8, the menu is now ridiculously split between the nav and sidebar templates.

you know the admin user will be logged and can therefore be identified, so you could add conditional links in there, e.g if brian is logged in, add this link; if support operator, add this link; if they have this permission to do x, then add a link etc.

54 minutes ago, bear said:

I'm not on the latest version(s), but menus are edited via hooks in my version.

not necessarily in the admin area - it's still old fashioned html/Smarty.... yes ultimately it can be tweaked using hooks if necessary, but not in the client area navbar/sidebar hook type sense... you would end up having to use JS.

for example, i'm using JS in a hook to rewrite the entire navbar so that it makes some logical sense...

eventually, that will be an addon module and I can start working on it again now that 8.1.1 is out of the way as it should be a few months until the next update (one would hope).

in fact, Kian posted an admin stats hook that could be hijacked for your purpose if you wanted the custom links to be on the right hand side of the menu.

1 hour ago, brian! said:

not necessarily in the admin area - it's still old fashioned html/Smarty.... yes ultimately it can be tweaked using hooks if necessary, but not in the client area navbar/sidebar hook type sense... you would end up having to use JS.

So, kind of like having CSS and language mixed into pages as well as separate files/places, menus are also handled in more than one place or method. 
Makes sense? 😉

7 minutes ago, bear said:

So, kind of like having CSS and language mixed into pages as well as separate files/places, menus are also handled in more than one place or method. 
Makes sense? 😉

there will be a whiteboard somewhere in Milton Keynes / Houston that's been used to convince themselves that it does.

the most obvious issue is that "Setup" (and everything useful under it) has been removed from the main menu - so no direct one-click access to General Settings, Products/Services, Email Templates, Support Departments, Promotions etc... you can still get to them, but it would take a number of clicks... in different parts of the page.... welcome to v8.

8 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

Maybe it was not WHMCS then? I know you can add things with hooks but this was a simple form. You could submit the name, URL and then it would show under the menu. Maybe it was not WHMCS after all.

I don't think that there has ever* (during my time) been such a mechanism within WHMCS to do that.