Child theme shows only copyright link

Hello,

I'm trying to test the well advertised child themes feature, but the only that I succeed is to show a blank page with WHMCS copyright link.

What I did is:

- I created a new template folder inside templates/ naming it mytheme

- I copied the header.tpl and I did some changes

- I created a new folder templates/mytheme/css where I upload a custom.css file with some stylevars

- I created the file theme.yaml with this content:

name: "MyTheme"
description: "MyTheme Clild Theme"
author: "ChrisTERiS"
config:
  parent: six 

and I uploaded it inside templates/mytheme/ folder

- I set in admin Mytheme as default template

This is the result that I got

image.png.d54d3de1bb04bc87e03fa757c6be3a48.png

I also tried theme.yml - mytheme.yaml - mytheme.yml instead theme.yaml, always cleaning browser cache, but nothing good happen.

Any idea?

Thank you

Chris

25 minutes ago, ChrisTERiS said:

I'm trying to test the well advertised child themes feature, but the only that I succeed is to show a blank page with WHMCS copyright link.

using which WHMCS version ? certainly, following the instructions @ https://developers.whmcs.com/themes/child-themes/ does work on v8.1.... that docs page says it's for v8, but i'm pretty sure that's wrong and it should say v8.1

i'm getting all sorts of errors in the v8 activity log about missing templates - so it must need v8.1 to support this... which is what the blog suggests... https://blog.whmcs.com/133660/child-themes-in-whmcs-81-and-later

on v8.1, it works fine.

18 hours ago, ChrisTERiS said:

Always here 🙂

you caught me just as I was leaving yesterday... 🤪

Is there any ETA for release of 8.1?

it' been mentioned that it will be this week...

As I can see there is no option to download or upgrade/online for 8.1

well it's still in beta (there's been one beta and one RC and they now seem to think it's ready).

I would  have thought that if you change your Automatic Updater settings, that you should be able to update a v8 install to a beta or RC... though I wouldn't update a production install to a beta or RC.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Automatic_Updater#Choosing_an_Update_Channel

• WHMCS Technical Analyst
On 18/12/2020 at 11:41 AM, ChrisTERiS said:

@brian! Always here 🙂

I'm using 8.04 and just now I realized that the Blog post was for 8.1

Is there any ETA for release of 8.1? As I can see there is no option to download or upgrade/online for 8.1

Yes, I am hoping to see version 8.1 released to the public in the next week. Should be a nice Christmas present 🙂

• WHMCS Technical Analyst
19 hours ago, brian! said:

you caught me just as I was leaving yesterday... 🤪

it' been mentioned that it will be this week...

well it's still in beta (there's been one beta and one RC and they now seem to think it's ready).

I would  have thought that if you change your Automatic Updater settings, that you should be able to update a v8 install to a beta or RC... though I wouldn't update a production install to a beta or RC.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Automatic_Updater#Choosing_an_Update_Channel

That is correct, it is still currently in beta and is a release candidate but it is NOT recommended to update a production installation to a beta or RC. In fact, we always recommend to install a development license in a test environment before updating any production installation to make sure there aren't any surprises or issues. 🙂

If you login to the admin area of WHMCS and navigate to Utilities > Update WHMCS and then click on Configure Update Settings and select Release Candidate, Save Changes and then Check for Updates again you will have the option to update to version 8.1.0-rc.1

Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 1.36.52 AM.png

2 hours ago, WHMCS Danny said:

Yes, I am hoping to see version 8.1 released to the public in the next week. Should be a nice Christmas present 🙂

So you'll have extra resources available for support / questions / issues / hot-fixes for the release? 

Umm , probably not given the time of year. But let's not that get in the way. 

9 hours ago, WHMCS Danny said:

unless of course you're involved with helping a few theme developers fixing bugs in their code, caused by v8.1, and now having to complete that work asap to get ready for this premature launch - with potential undisclosed new features included in the GA;, to be released on an undisclosed day telling users to "Update NOW!"; with no v8.1 class docs to currently work with etc... oh what fun... headshake.gif

in any event, I think everything is now fixed (subject to the GA screwing it up)... waiting.gif

Danny, any more unwanted presents like this and i'll have to take you off my Christmas list. 🎁

6 hours ago, Damo said:

So you'll have extra resources available for support / questions / issues / hot-fixes for the release? 

this is almost corporate self-harm... there will definitely be issues not picked up during the beta testing and there's no real need for them to release it this month - I certainly won't be updating the beta or answering GA questions until next year... i'll wait for the inevitable maintenance release.

6 hours ago, Damo said:

Umm , probably not given the time of year. But let's not that get in the way. 

we may have to cut him some slack if he's a newbie that's only worked @ WHMCS for a few months... he won't yet understand the usual car crash that major launches are.... he still has the whiff of innocent enthusiasm about him that everyone working at WHMCS starts off with and it would be a real shame to give him a dose of reality at this early stage.