Bugfixed Version 7.8.4 ETA?

Just now, AndyW said:

When is the bug fixed stable version 7.8.4 expected?

from their previous statements, my understanding is that there isn't going to be a v7.8.4 and they intend to go straight into v7.9 with a beta release "before the end of the year"...

if you needed to update today, you would use v7.8.3 + any applicable hotfixes - if you want to wait, then I suspect the beta would have to be launched pretty early in Dec for it to reach GA before year-end... and WHMCS don't pre-announce beta releases unless they are imminent.

6 minutes ago, wsa said:

Here more information on V7.9

Interesting. Lia plays the part of the "interviewer", but I've seen a WHMCS Lia here on the community. Part way down she asks (but allegedly knows nothing about the release: "Q: VPN is something we haven't really seen before in WHMCS. What's the thinking behind launching this product and how will it work?"

Lucky guess? 

6 hours ago, brian! said:

from their previous statements, my understanding is that there isn't going to be a v7.8.4 and they intend to go straight into v7.9 with a beta release "before the end of the year"...

if you needed to update today, you would use v7.8.3 + any applicable hotfixes - if you want to wait, then I suspect the beta would have to be launched pretty early in Dec for it to reach GA before year-end... and WHMCS don't pre-announce beta releases unless they are imminent.

There are 10 hotfixes at that community-link, each with a set of files in an archive. In which sequence should the patches be applied? I cannot see a serial number of the release/application!  My worry is I may create a mess if there are common files in some of the patches and if patches are applied in incorrect sequence. I cannot believe that that community link is the official document to reach a stable build. Is there a github link I can use to get the latest stable with all hotfix patches?

16 hours ago, bear said:

Lucky guess?  

possibly an advantage of being the "Marketing Strategist" for WHMCS. 😉

16 hours ago, wsa said:

Here more information on V7.9

thanks for the link - I rarely take any interest in the blog as most of it is pure marketing spin... would be nice to see these people answering genuine questions publicly here from the users.

interesting though that there is no mention on hosting renewal on demand - that was planned for this year but must have been shelved and held back for v8 next year... and going GA the week before Christmas??  😲

14 hours ago, AndyW said:

There are 10 hotfixes at that community-link, each with a set of files in an archive.

there are only 4.

1. CORE-13774 - Separate email CC's when opening a ticket as a support contact via email

2. CORE-13809 - GoCardless Mandate Migration Improvement

3. CORE-13801 - Call to undefined function run_hook accessing Client Area

4. Payment Gateway Issues (Reference, eWay, Auth.net CIM, Stripe, 2Checkout, Accept.js)

In which sequence should the patches be applied?

personally, I would apply them in reverse date order (as above), so oldest first (e.g the 3 dated 31st Oct and then the larger multiple 1st Nov patch last) - but if you don't use GoCardless, then there is no real need to install the GC patch (so there's one less to install!)...

I cannot see a serial number of the release/application!

if you're installing v7.8.3, you only need to worry about the 4 hotfixes tagged v7.8.3..

wNggnFI.png

any patches tagged for earlier releases should have been incorporated into the next maintenance release afterwards- so v7.8.3 should contain all those patches apart from the four tagged v7.8.3.

15 hours ago, AndyW said:

My worry is I may create a mess if there are common files in some of the patches and if patches are applied in incorrect sequence.

the sequence shouldn't matter as they should all be independent of each other, but if i'm wrong on that, then WHMCS staff will no doubt correct us.

I cannot believe that that community link is the official document to reach a stable build.

generally speaking, WHMCS don't update their maintenance release zips with hotfixes... I think I can recall them doing it when a MR had some missing files (they updated the zip, slightly changed the internal release version, but didn't change the public release name)... possibly they may update the version installed via the automatic updater, but I doubt it.

so the v7.8.3 zip available from September 2019, should be the same as the one you can download/install now (with no additional hotfixes added) - I checked the zip a few weeks ago after the hotfix releases and it was the same as the Sept version, so I doubt they will have updated since I last checked (but again, they will correct me if i'm wrong on that).

Is there a github link I can use to get the latest stable with all hotfix patches?

not that I am aware of - hence why I said the method would be to install v7.8.3 and then add the hotfixes.

depending on your current installed version, unless there are feature(s) that you desperately need in v7.8.3 today, it might be a preferable option to wait until v7.9.1 early next year and update then.