Manual Paypal

I have some clients that have me put their bills through Paypal every month. I then have to manually post to WHMCS, because when I put through the Paypal payment it does not auto post to  WHMCS.

However, when my clients put payment through Paypal it does post and show the write off.  I have tried to show the transaction fee but it does not post correctly. Does anyone also have this problem?

Could you describe your steps a bit more as I am not 100% sure what you mean.  It sounds like you are taking payments outside of WHMCS and having to add the payment manually in WHMCS.  If that is the case, you should be able to add the fee part when doing the add payment via the invoice page -> Add Payment tab -> Transaction Fees  .

If you try to do a negative, it should do an error that it has to be a positive number -- even though I saw docs saying it can be a negative.

Which total are you referring to?  The invoice paid total?  If so, do you have any hooks or other customizations as that isn't normal behavior. 

Say we have a bill for 225.00 and after Paypal takes it's part we are left with a payment of $217.72. So I want to show that we were paid a net of $217.72 and have the balance of $7.28 written off. I do not want it to show as income, but it needs to show as a write off.  I thought the transaction fee would be the way to go, but when I tried it it brought my billable up to $232.28, which is why I thought maybe a negative transaction fee would work.  It was like we were charging the transaction fee to process instead of Paypal.

22 hours ago, Netbilling said:

Say we have a bill for 225.00 and after Paypal takes it's part we are left with a payment of $217.72. So I want to show that we were paid a net of $217.72 and have the balance of $7.28 written off. I do not want it to show as income, but it needs to show as a write off.  I thought the transaction fee would be the way to go, but when I tried it it brought my billable up to $232.28, which is why I thought maybe a negative transaction fee would work.  It was like we were charging the transaction fee to process instead of Paypal.

Well, again, where are you seeing this figure at as that behavior is not what I have noticed in at least the built-in reports.   So for example, if you look at the monthly transactions report mentioned by @WHMCS ChrisD you will see fees are listed and the balance column has the total for the day minus the fees.  The total at the bottom of the page will then reflect what the balance column totals up to.   I have not seen where the fee adds on to income reports.  Are you perhaps charging the fee as a surcharge? 

I have a picture for you. If you look I have posted the net amount from Paypal and put in a transaction fee of 7.28. All of this shows on the picture, however, if you look, you will see there is a balance listed of $7.28. What I need to do is manually post it and have it come out as $0 while showing the correct amount we received with the Paypal transaction fee.

WHMCS Posting Problem.PNG

On 27/03/2019 at 13:44, Netbilling said:

I have a picture for you. If you look I have posted the net amount from Paypal and put in a transaction fee of 7.28. All of this shows on the picture, however, if you look, you will see there is a balance listed of $7.28. What I need to do is manually post it and have it come out as $0 while showing the correct amount we received with the Paypal transaction fee.

on the "Add Payment" tab, when you entered the amount received, did you enter $225.00 or $217.72 ? if you entered $217.72, then that would explain the $7.28 shortfall.

what you should have done is posted the full amount of "225.00" in the "Amount" box, and then entered "7.28" in the Transaction Fees box - because in effect you did receive the full amount of $225, it's just that PayPal deducted their fees before giving you the balance.. when you manually enter a payment in WHMCS like this, it will calculate the amount received by deducting the fees from the amount.. it sounds like you've deducted the transaction fee yourself, entered 217.72 and then WHMCS has deducted the fee itself again.

if that's what you've done, just remember to enter the full amount in the future (or amount actually received + fee) and then let WHMCS take the fee off.