Using G Suite Email within WHMCS

I have moved over to using G Suite for my domain email. I set up the MX records and everything is fine i can send and recieve from different accounts etc. I am trying to set this up within whmcs under the settings > Mail > using the following config

Mail Type SMTP

Mail Encoding 8bit

SMTP Port 465

SMTP Host smpt.gmail.com

SMTP Username email@mydomain.com

SMTP Password mypasswordformynewemail

I am getting the following error

Email Sending Failed - SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting (Subject: Confirm Your Registration)

This is using G suite on my domain

Hey @Encrypted

The settings we recommend are:

mail method --> SMTP
PORT 465
host: smtp.gmail.com
Type: SSL

We've also found App Passwords need to be used  So, you have to login to your G Suite account and click on MyAccount.  Then go to Sign-In & Security, and under App Passwords, you will want to create a password there.  It'll give you a password to use instead of your own password, so that it knows you are using an app connection.

This thread should help

• 11 months later...
On 3/14/2019 at 2:53 AM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

Hey @Encrypted

The settings we recommend are:

mail method --> SMTP
PORT 465
host: smtp.gmail.com
Type: SSL

We've also found App Passwords need to be used  So, you have to login to your G Suite account and click on MyAccount.  Then go to Sign-In & Security, and under App Passwords, you will want to create a password there.  It'll give you a password to use instead of your own password, so that it knows you are using an app connection.

This thread should help

Using these settings AND the App Password, I still get the following error...

Email Sending Failed - SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting (Subject: [Ticket ID: 895317] TEST)

Any suggestions on where else to look or what measures to take?

1 hour ago, n10s said:

Using these settings AND the App Password, I still get the following error...

Email Sending Failed - SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting (Subject: [Ticket ID: 895317] TEST)

Any suggestions on where else to look or what measures to take?

@n10s if you add the following line to your configuration.php file do you get any more detailed error outputs when sending an email?  This will help try and identify where the issue is occurring.

Personally, I use Office365 myself and in my case I've switched to using Postmark to send my WHMCS emails, they still are SPF & DKIM verified but its a much smoother process, that could be worth checking out too.

19 hours ago, Damo said:

Do you have a firewall on the server? Check that port 465 is open. 

Noob Reply:  I'll pose that question to the Host Server Administrator, as I am currently without SSH access. I am a low-level, reseller-novice. Getting my WHMCS training by immersion and trial-by-fire. Thanx!

On 2/25/2020 at 6:05 PM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

@n10s if you add the following line to your configuration.php file do you get any more detailed error outputs when sending an email?  This will help try and identify where the issue is occurring.

Personally, I use Office365 myself and in my case I've switched to using Postmark to send my WHMCS emails, they still are SPF & DKIM verified but its a much smoother process, that could be worth checking out too.

I thought I had replied to this a day ago... user error. Anyhew... I am just adding the code you "suggested" (LOL).

Added:

$smtp_debug = true;

to public_html/clients/configuration.php

I then resent a verification email to a client(myself) gmail account. Not sure where I should see the debug report.

BTW:  Have done all of the setup over at Postmark and been verified on their system with updated DNS, etc.

Edited by n10s

On 2/28/2020 at 8:10 PM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

@n10s With $smtp_debug added in your configuration.php file the SMTP Debug will show on the screen when you send an email it usually shows above your WHMCS screen 

I still get nothing.

OAN:  would you be willing to share just HOW you configured your Postmark to work with WHMCS?  I am still stuck at getting my email to work. I am communicating with both WHMCS support and my Web Host support. There seem to be more answers than solutions. I'm reaching out to ALL possible avenues of getting this resolved and my business UP!

4 minutes ago, n10s said:

2 minutes ago, n10s said:

I still get nothing.

That is odd and almost seems to indicate you are not using SMTP if nothing is showing, are you using the default Blend Theme in the admin area?

4 minutes ago, n10s said:

OAN:  would you be willing to share just HOW you configured your Postmark to work with WHMCS?  I am still stuck at getting my email to work. I am communicating with both WHMCS support and my Web Host support. There seem to be more answers than solutions. I'm reaching out to ALL possible avenues of getting this resolved and my business UP!

If it's helpful to you the configuration I use is:

Mail Type: SMTP
Mail Encoding: base64
SMTP Port: 587 (make sure this is open with your host) you can also use
SMTP Host: smtp.postmarkapp.com
SMTP Username: Server API token located under the API Tokens tab of your PostMark Server
SMTP Password: Server API token located under the API Tokens tab of your PostMark Server
SMTP SSL Type: TLS

https://postmarkapp.com/developer/user-guide/sending-email/sending-with-smtp shows the other ports you can use.

Thanks, to ALL for the priceless help and support on this!! Discovered that the host had to make some "adjustments" to their firewall settings. However, I am grateful to have had these issues in a community that provided me with other VERY useful lessons and learning! Today, I'm setting a Go-Live date for the hosting site. Thanx, @WHMCS ChrisD, I'm getting up to speed on transactional emails and successfully using Postmark. Looking forward to their "Message Streams." There's so much to learn out here in this big ole marvelous world!!😊

• 6 months later...
On 3/1/2020 at 5:46 AM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

That is odd and almost seems to indicate you are not using SMTP if nothing is showing, are you using the default Blend Theme in the admin area?

If it's helpful to you the configuration I use is:

Mail Type: SMTP
Mail Encoding: base64
SMTP Port: 587 (make sure this is open with your host) you can also use
SMTP Host: smtp.postmarkapp.com
SMTP Username: Server API token located under the API Tokens tab of your PostMark Server
SMTP Password: Server API token located under the API Tokens tab of your PostMark Server
SMTP SSL Type: TLS

https://postmarkapp.com/developer/user-guide/sending-email/sending-with-smtp shows the other ports you can use.

Thank you. Originally came here to find out G Suite settings. My main concern about G Suite were daily limitations for outbound emails https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852?hl=en (thinking of growth). At the moment we have 400 customer accounts.

Signed up to Postmark after your suggestion (did check sendgrid and others as well) - Postmark does seem perfect for sending out system emails.

And setup was really simple as well.

Thank you,

Helmuts

p.s. will stick to G Suite only to send out emails manually and to receive all.

Edited by HostMaria