SMTP connection to postmark failed

Hi everyone,

Here is one good brainscratcher :)

I've been contacted by friend of mine, having some issues setting up SMTP on server.
We spent good 2 hours already, without result.

We are adding Postmark service in smtp setup.

Problem is when I make telnet connection using data produced by SMTP debug log, I always have success login.

But using whmcs I always receive 

SMTP ERROR: Password command failed: 535 Incorrect authentication data
SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.
CLIENT -> SERVER: QUIT
SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Email Sending Failed - SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

I event use base64 hash generated by phpmailer in result, and I'm always able to authenticate using those data.
Simply by doing copy/paste I'm always able to make telnet connection, while whmcs always fails.

I have found few issues mentioned where mailer lib should be changed, but that didn't helped too.

Anyone having any more ideas?
Or do you consider this as viable whmcs error to be reported? :D

Thank you everyone!

• WHMCS Technical Analyst II

Hello,

Thank you for your post!

Attached is a test file which simulates the connection to your SMTP mail server and attempts to send a simple test message:

* Please open the smtptest.php file in your preferred text editor and replace all the fields with the corresponding values in your WHMCS installation.

* Upload the file to your WHMCS directory

* Visit the file in your browser

If the email is sent a "Success" message will be displayed on-screen.

Any errors that occur in the email sending process will be displayed on-screen. These errors will need to be worked with the mail-server admin to resolve, adjusting the settings within the file as necessary whilst troubleshooting.

Once the test script is able to successfully send the test message, you can change the settings in your WHMCS Admin area to match (Setup > General Settings > Mail tab).

smtptest.zip

Hi Alex,

this was very helpful.

Eventually, I managed to find that previous admin activated remote SMTP restrictions so non-root accounts were not able to access any remote servers.
I noticed weird thing when I figured I can make telnet connection from root and not from another user.

Thank you for this script (I will keep it handy)
And sorry for false alarm.

Cheers!