Disable Domain Sync when unused

Hi there,

I am trying to setup a non-supported domain registrar module (such as Namesilo) for my account.

If I will only use this third-party module, should I disable the domain sync under the Automation Settings and use the manual Cron setup?

Please see screenshot below:

2HSoiuZ

In WHMCS files, find modules/registrars and open the namesilo.php file . If it is encoded, then you would need to talk to the developer.  If it isn't, then look for _Sync and if it has it then leave that option on.

however, you mentioned a cron setup and if you have a cron to call a file for namesilo specifically at that time, then you can disable that domain sync option. 

Alright.

So of what I've understood,

I need to find the "_sync" function in my namesilo php file and when I do, I can pursue the specific cron command for namesilo (using the namesilo domainsync php file) base on their instruction to be called per 24hours. And after that, I can disable the built-in domain sync for WHMCS.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

17 hours ago, Mauwiks said:

If I will only use this third-party module, should I disable the domain sync under the Automation Settings and use the manual Cron setup?

going from their instructions, I think the answer would be yes.

If you wish to use the SYNC script to update the domain’s expiry and due dates (if selected in the setup of the registrar module) you will need to setup a CRON tab to run the “namesilo-sync.php” script. Our recommendation would be to have this run nightly to ensure the information displayed to your client’s is as current as possible.

the code isn't encoded and there's no _sync command within it.

33 minutes ago, Mauwiks said:

Thank you for your participation in this issue by the way!

no worries - it's good having @steven99 answering some threads - as it leaves less for me to reply to and more time available for other projects! thanks.png

34 minutes ago, Mauwiks said:

So shall I turn on both? because NameSilo doesn't have the _sync function?

if all your domains are under Namesilo, then i'd just run their sync file... looking at their code, it looks like it's going to sync all of your active domains, whereas the WHMCS sync would just check/update 50 at a time... and I suspect the WHMCS cron would only work with registrars that were configure to use it anyway.. and if Namesilo was one of them, why did they add their own separate cron?

so i'd disable it in WHMCS and setup a separate cron - perhaps well away time-wise from whenever the cron runs that performs the daily tasks.

also, it does look like it sends it's own sync report, so you should be able to tell if it working or not.

29 minutes ago, brian! said:

no worries - it's good having @steven99 answering some threads - as it leaves less for me to reply to and more time available for other projects! thanks.png

Cool to know you're having a lot of work to do! Appreciate your presence here really. 🙂

29 minutes ago, brian! said:

if all your domains are under Namesilo, then i'd just run their sync file... looking at their code, it looks like it's going to sync all of your active domains, whereas the WHMCS sync would just check/update 50 at a time... and I suspect the WHMCS cron would only work with registrars that were configure to use it anyway.. and if Namesilo was one of them, why did they add their own separate cron?

-----> Do you mean it would still run if I don't setup a separate Cron for NameSilo? and even if it's not a supported Module?

3 minutes ago, Mauwiks said:

Do you mean it would still run if I don't setup a separate Cron for NameSilo? and even if it's not a supported Module?

I think I mean the opposite!

if all your domains are under Namesilo, then even if you ran the WHMCS Sync, I don't think it would update any of these domains - only the NameSilo sync would do that... but it would do no harm to check with NameSilo support about this as they wrote it (in 2015 apparently!).

4 minutes ago, Mauwiks said:

Anyway, lastly. May we use multiple Domain registrars to offer in WHMCS? 

absolutely yes... if you're automatically registering, you can only assign one per TLD... if manually accepting registrations, then you can choose which registrar to use.