How to move domain

SamS1

21 minutes ago, Vox said:

Was your solution any different to the WHMCS recommended option:

https://docs.whmcs.com/How_To_Guides#Switching_Domain_Registrars

Not sure if I agree with changing Contact details like that but that's the recommended solution....

That has to be the worst solution I've ever read. Changing those details triggers a verification email to the new address. Once you're done moving (and it says nothing about notifying the customer you're doing this, nor that it will trigger verifications) the domain, setting it back will trigger one to the customer, who will either be very upset and confused, or really upset that you're making changes to his domains without his knowledge. 

Is that really what WHMCS would recommend here?
The "new registrar" will likely be the one your ex-client moves to once this happens. 

1 hour ago, bear said:

Is that really what WHMCS would recommend here?

this will be one of those situations where the docs are out of date and last updated before those ICANN changes... step 4 about changing the registrant's email address is just insane... and possibly a little naughty from an ICANN/Registrar pov. naughty.gif

1. Begin by navigating to Clients > Domain Registrations and select the domain in question.
  2. Untick the Registrar Lock checkbox and click Save Changes
  3. Click the Modify Contact Details button.
  4. Change the registrant email address to your own and click Save Changes.
  5. Return to the client's Domains tab and click the Get EPP Code button
  6. Note down the EPP Code provided on-screen
  7. Select the new domain registrar from the Registrar dropdown menu
  8. Click the Transfer Module Command button.

unless @SamS1 has found a magical path around it, you're going to end up needing to get clients permission, which is fair enough I suppose as it's their domain and they ultimately need to decide the registrar... about the only exception where permission might not be required could be a transfer between two resellers of the same registrar... but even that might depend on the registrar in question.

personally, I would (and have in the past) do the transfer outside of WHMCS and then just change the assigned registrar for that domain within WHMCS when the transfer is complete.

9 hours ago, brian! said:

this will be one of those situations where the docs are out of date and last updated before those ICANN changes...

Perhaps. 
That page was last edited 06/22/2018 14:20:05, according to the time stamp on it, so yesterday? ;) (document.lastModified)

9 hours ago, bear said:

Perhaps. 
That page was last edited 06/22/2018 14:20:05, according to the time stamp on it, so yesterday? ;) (document.lastModified)

you can ignore that - all the pages of the docs have a recent timestamp on (and have for the last couple of years I think).. it seems it's a quirk of their software that it must refresh every few hours - I still stand by the page not being edited recently.

checking archive.org, it looks like it was last updated in November 2017... nothing since... in fact, after a quick look I couldn't find any docs page that had been updated this year... I thought Domain Grace might have been, but it wasn't even in the archive (it is now lol).. so I don't know if WHMCS are actively blocking the archive from searching the docs site... I doubt they are though as they don't seem to be blocking help.whmcs.com or the main site as both those have been updated this year.

long story short - you can't trust the lastModified value in the docs pages any more. :idea: