Sequential Invoice Number Format

vj135

If i have my invoice starting # as 136, what should i do to make the sequential numbering format(PAID invoice) to be AT- 136.

Please note that one invoice has already been generated as #136 and paid invoice as AT-1

Question 2)

My only client has paid her invoice and has an active order but the payment status shows "incomplete"

Please see the uploaded 2 images-- u will then get a clear idea of what i am asking

thanks

vijay

Anmoltech issue 1.jpg

Anmoltech issue 2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I too am curious about question 1. I started my invoices at 3500 and when 3500 was paid it changed to C-1. How can I keep it as 3500 even once paid.

Thanks

If i have my invoice starting # as 136, what should i do to make the sequential numbering format(PAID invoice) to be AT- 136.

Please note that one invoice has already been generated as #136 and paid invoice as AT-1

Question 2)

My only client has paid her invoice and has an active order but the payment status shows "incomplete"

Please see the uploaded 2 images-- u will then get a clear idea of what i am asking

thanks

vijay

• WHMCS CEO

The place where this is configured is General Config > Invoicing. In there you can enter the next sequential number you want applying to paid invoices so in the case above, that would be 3500. The feature is sequential invoice numbering for paid invoices so the number isn't necessarily going to match what the ID of that invoice was.

Matt

Exactly what I needed. Thanks. Your product continues to amaze me. Very pleased.

Exactly the same as before it was paid. There is no change to the invoice number when the sequential paid invoice numbering feature isn't enabled.

Matt

• 5 years later...

I know that this is a very old post, but I am curious if the paid invoice number can contain the original paid invoice number.

I originally was setup to keep the invoice numbering the same for unpaid and paid invoices. I switched over to paid invoice numbering, so it would be easier for my clients at a glance to see which invoices were paid and which ones were still unpaid. However, when a client goes back sometime later to match up paid transactions (usually via check) to invoices paid, they have a hard time discerning which checks were applied to which invoices.

The current example in the setup page shows WHMCS2007-{NUMBER}. Can there be something like WHMCS2007-{INVOICENUMBER}?

Or even something as simple as a P put in front of the invoice number. I know, it probably isn't that simple. But you get the idea.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

• 6 months later...

This is very interesting... I have been pulling out my hair on this forever. Often times a client will get frusterated and just call in their credit card number and I manually run it through my merchant account. When I do I reference the invoice number but after it's paid the invoice number is different. I need issued and paid invoice numbers to be identical. So I need to turn off sequential numbering. But can I still have a invoice prefix WHMCS-{number} so that I can discern online hosting invoices from my quickbooks invoice numbers? So I want to add "MGH-" to the front of all the invoice numbers when issued and want that retained when paid.

Is this possible.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

To keep the same invoice number when paid an unpaid you need to enable both Custom Invoice Numbering and Sequential Paid Invoice Numbering in the EU VAT Addon.

Then set the Custom Invoice Numbering Format and Sequential Invoice Number Format fields exactly the same

Finally set the Next Invoice Number and Next Paid Invoice Number fields exactly the same.

• 1 year later...
Hi,

To keep the same invoice number when paid an unpaid you need to enable both Custom Invoice Numbering and Sequential Paid Invoice Numbering in the EU VAT Addon.

Then set the Custom Invoice Numbering Format and Sequential Invoice Number Format fields exactly the same

Finally set the Next Invoice Number and Next Paid Invoice Number fields exactly the same.

I hope this finallly brings an end to my sequencing problems. Thanks, I'm giving it a try.

• 7 months later...

If i understand right, i use proforma invoicing, And i want to keep invoice number forever the same, so when client pay , invoice number to be the same as before.

So to do that i need to go @ EU VAT Addon > Select (Tick) Enable > "Custom Invoice Numbering" , and than @ "Proforma Invoicing/Sequential Paid Invoice Numbering" to UnSelect "Tick to enable New Sequential Invoice Number Assigning on Payment of Invoices" ?

Is that right?

Or how to do that?

It won't work Acidburns, eventually the numbers will go off. I tried everything. Especially when cancelling or so they go off. So, in stead, I decided to clearly use a different name for pro forma invoices. A normal invoice could be invoice1001.pdf while a proforma could be called proforma_incoice1209.pdf. This way it's also obvious to the customer that pro forma invoices are not the same as invoices.

I know it's a real pain, companies complain a lot that when they get a pro forma, they book it into their automatics banking payment system. Then when their bank pays the suddenly get another invoice number mailed ot them which is a nightmare to accountants. Somehow they learn to work with it.

it seems very difficult for whmcs to make this work.

• 1 month later...

I would just add a page break, then paste a copy of an invoice (a blank invoice with no data would be less confusing). This would be my document:

PAGE 1

Invoice #1 with the long version of the field

---------Page Break------------

PAGE 2

Invoice #2 with the short version of the field

PAGE 3

Invoice #3 with the short version of the field

etc.

For additional convenience, I would select a blank invoice and define it as an autocorrect sequence. After that is done, I would go to the the last page (or first page, if you want reverse order) and type, for instance, "ni\" to insert a new invoice. You could even include a leading or trailing page break with the blank invoice.

• 1 month later...

I just changed the name from Invoice in my language file to Proforma.

So after the payment is done, i created an invoice of my excell program.

In this system i have the correct numbers and not from number 2 to number 5, because a few deleted or canceled the order.

In Belgium my invoices numbers have to folowing up, if number is missing i have serious problems.

I also work with an online store whit different invoices than Whmcs, for this reason i renamed the invoice to proforma.

A little extra work, but my accountant is verry happy and also the inspectors. loll

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect - just a simple answer to a comment made:

On 15/01/2014 at 5:55 PM, WHMCS John said:

Hi,

So doing all the above makes sense - so how does this affect the paid invoice numbering settings in the Setup > General Settings > Invoices?

Does the addon mean those settings are ignored in favor of the addon settings? Or should the general settings "version" be unticked?

Thanks