Quick question about WHMCS terms in the download.

See this in the most recent EULA (end user license agreement), and find it concerning.

2.6 Updates. The Software may automatically download and install updates from time to time from WHMCS. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the Software and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules, completely new versions and additional products and services offered through or from the Software. You agree to receive such updates (and permit WHMCS to deliver these to You) as a condition to Your use of the Software.

This doesn't say we can choose to receive updates or not (as in allowing automatic updating), but by installing you agree to allow them to make changes without asking or agreeing to said changes since it's in the EULA that they are allowed.

Am I reading that wrong?

I think you are reading that correctly.. BUT I don't think WHMCS has the capability to actually download and install a patch/update without you having to click at least a few times. Perhaps this alludes to a future opt-in (I hope) 'automatically download and install any patches' option in WHMCS.

Although terms are literal I think this is another example of the terms of service being designed to protect. WHMCS have this in the terms to protect their back if for instance you using a old version of WHMCS causes your website to get hacked. I don't see WHMCS forcing updates on users.

WHMCS have this in the terms to protect their back if for instance you using a old version of WHMCS causes your website to get hacked.
Then it should say exactly that; as in: "We assume no responsibility if you are compromised while using a known outdated and potentially exploitable version".
I don't see WHMCS forcing updates on users.

And yet...

"The Software may automatically download and install updates from time to time from WHMCS".

I see the section as a "we might decide at some point to automatically, and without user input, update things in your installation". This grants them the right to do that since we have to agree to these terms in order to use the product. Though they may never do that, this grants them the right, without recourse, if they do.

• 2 weeks later...