Plans for PHP 7 compatability?

niemie

Question

8 answers to this question

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

We certainly do intend to provide support for PHP 7.0 and are well under-way working towards it. At this time Ioncube has not yet released a date for when they will begin offering support for PHP 7.0 but rest assured we are working to bring PHP 7.0 support as soon as possible.

Currently the PHP7 support for Ioncube is still beta, nobody knows when its final. So WHMCS will wait for the final version. Furthermore the new Loader needs encoded files for PHP 5.6, but I think WHMCS still supportes PHP 5.3, so WHMCS will support PHP7 maybe with WHMCS 7.

• WHMCS Technical Analyst
Currently the PHP7 support for Ioncube is still beta, nobody knows when its final. So WHMCS will wait for the final version. Furthermore the new Loader needs encoded files for PHP 5.6, but I think WHMCS still supportes PHP 5.3, so WHMCS will support PHP7 maybe with WHMCS 7.

The next version of WHMCS is introducing a minimum PHP requirement of PHP 5.6. You can learn more about that and our PHP 7 plans in our blog post from earlier this month: http://blog.whmcs.com/?t=114831

What about PHP 7.0?

We're already developing, running and testing WHMCS internally in PHP 7 environments. Within the last few weeks, Ioncube has released loaders that support PHP 7.0 under beta status. We continue to monitor and watch with interest the progress of Ioncube's loader development for PHP 7.0 and are committed to delivering WHMCS with support for PHP 7.0 as soon as the necessary Ioncube loaders are made available.

-Eddy

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for php 7 until version 7. That's a pretty reasonable bet.

Adding php7 support would be a good thing, but it'd mean totally redesigning reports (which are still using the old school query functionality), rewriting a ton of docs (which it looks like they're doing), and a ton of other stuff.

While they could totally surprise us , I'm pretty sure we won't see php 7 support until the next major version release (v7).