Adding a service fee for offline transactions?

delusion

I'm getting tired of people sending me cheques. I understand that some companies/organizations need 2 signatures for expenditures, but that's not my problem (is it?) and it's a pain in the rear-end to have to go to the bank and deposit the cheque (which costs me more than the 3% transaction fee the credit cards charge, on most occasions).

I would like to be able to add a fee to payments that are done via cheque, so as soon as the client chooses cheque as a payment method, a % is added to their invoice.

I realize that people can just switch to a credit card payment on the invoice-view and then write a cheque for that amount, but I hope people are honest enough not to do that..

I responded to you earlier but for whatever reason it said my response needed moderator approval. Maybe we are not supposed to provide links to WHMCS documentation? I dunno.

Anyways, check out the InvoiceChangeGateway hook. You might be able to write a script and insert it at that point. That gets called anytime someone changes the payment gateway.

-- Jess

- - - Updated - - -

Are you using the 'Mail In Payment' gateway for cheques?

I responded to you earlier but for whatever reason it said my response needed moderator approval. Maybe we are not supposed to provide links to WHMCS documentation? I dunno.

You've got a very dirty IP address and are being automagically moderated due to that.

• 3 years later...

long ago thread and still no option to add a surcharge.  Unbelievable.  WHMCS must be the slowest bunch of devs on the planet 

Anyway - this topic is still relevant - how can I add a hook to add a $5 fee on to a specific client for any service they are billed for.  They insist on paying with a cheque !

9 hours ago, sol2010 said:

WHMCS must be the slowest bunch of devs on the planet 

difficult to argue against that. :P

Anyway - this topic is still relevant - how can I add a hook to add a $5 fee on to a specific client for any service they are billed for.  They insist on paying with a cheque !

there are commercial solutions in Marketplace - do a search for "Gateway Fees"...

or if you want a quick free solution that will work for now (probably won't work in v8)...

@WHMCS ChrisD thank you for your answer (which was amazingly fast! ;-) ), although sadly, it is not a very sufficient one.  For a start, your answer doesn't make sense: I am not wanting to add a surcharge - I want to add a convenience fee for users who wish to pay with cheque.  Secondly, you state:  "particularly with a number of countries cracking down on surcharges." - but then you go on to contradict yourself to suggest a third party app that will work ?  Huh ?

As a dev, I would prefer to be able to author this small modification. I don't see why I should need to pay for yet another "add on" just to achieve what should be a fairly simple function. There must be an easy hook to create that will achieve this.  However, WHMCS always choose not to assist users and instead always push third parties.  Is WHMCS is on some kind of commission from e.g. Modules Garden or whoever?  I do not agree with this philosophy. 

Thanks @brian! - As always, you offer more help than the WHMC team.  I will look into my own hook for this and will update the thread with my progress.

Edited by sol2010

Secondly, you state:  "particularly with a number of countries cracking down on surcharges." - but then you go on to contradict yourself to suggest a third party app that will work ?  Huh ?

that's not really a contradiction... in the EU, we can't now surcharge for those users paying by credit or debit card - that applies worldwide to EU customers (let's ignore how that would be enforced for now!)... but if you're outside of the EU, and don't intend to have clients in that area, then there is nothing necessarily legally wrong with using a third-party addon and adding a surcharge for card payments.

in your situation, where you want to surcharge a customer for paying by cheque (I still have customers who insist on paying that way too!), it's acceptable to charge a fee (assuming it's legal where you and the customer are - Australia ?) to such customers, and so using such an addon would be fine.

10 hours ago, sol2010 said:

As a dev, I would prefer to be able to author this small modification. I don't see why I should need to pay for yet another "add on" just to achieve what should be a fairly simple function.

because WHMCS are clearly not going to do it themselves, and commercial developers have spent their time writing solutions to fill that gap in the market.

There must be an easy hook to create that will achieve this.

the free Github module will do the job - for now at least.

However, WHMCS always choose not to assist users and instead always push third parties.

I can recall when I first bought my first license years ago, WHMCS staff used to do development work... but they stopped doing that years ago - I assume to let them devote more time to development of the core product.... yeah that's gone well and that's been racing along at lightning pace over the last few years... NOT.

it still drives me nuts that they considered it perfectly acceptable that you need to write a hook to modify a menu - that's just insane and why I try to answer as many navbar questions as a I can.

of course, if they don't push third parties, you're left with using the remarkably pointless feature requests system.... you'd have more luck throwing a dollar into a wishing well.

Is WHMCS is on some kind of commission from e.g. Modules Garden or whoever?  I do not agree with this philosophy. 

their former "special" partner... i'm not sure if that close relationship still exists as they're no longer listed on the partners page.

As always, you offer more help than the WHMCS team.

that's very kind of you to say - make the most of me while i'm here, because I won't be around forever. teary-eyes-waving-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi