Several Questions for Using WHMCS for Web-Based Apps (not web hosting)

robertb

Question

Hello WHMCS Community,

I have read every page on the WHMCS website along with countless forum posts to try to figure out if WHMCS is right for me. I'm still left with a few questions, so I'm hoping some experienced users from the community can help me out!

I am NOT a web host, but it seems WHMCS can act as a recurring billing solution for other businesses, too....

My company sells three different cloud-based applications, which for simplicity purposes we can call App AAA, App BBB and App CCC.

Each app is totally separate from the other. But, within each app, there are multiple product levels that customer's can subscribe to.

For example, App AAA has the following levels:

• Free Plan = $0
  • Starter = $10
  • Bronze = $20
  • Silver = $30
  • Gold = $40

Question 1:

Can WHMCS be setup so that if the user wants to activate App AAA it prompts them to select a specific level, which then dictates the price?

Further to that, can WHMCS enforce the restriction that a customer can only be subscribed to ONE level of App AAA? (ie. They can subscribe to "silver", but they cannot subscribe to "silver" and "gold" at the same time.)

Question 2:

If a customer activates App AAA today and then next week they activate App BBB, will WHMCS create a separate billing cycle for each app resulting in two invoices per month? Or, will WHMCS combine all of the customer's subscriptions into one invoice that is charged on the same day?

Question 3:

If a customer is subscribed to App AAA "bronze level" today, then next week they upgrade to "silver level", will WHMCS know to charge a pro-rated amount for the upgrade?

Question 4:

If a customer is currently subscribed to App AAA "gold level" and then in the middle of their billing cycle they downgrade to "bronze level", does WHMCS wait until the end of the cycle to process the downgrade or does it downgrade them right away? The same question applies to cancellations instead of downgrades.

Question 5:

For App AAA, in addition to the core subscription, I have a couple extra add-ons that can be purchased. Specifically I sell extra "message credits", which can kind of be thought of like extra RAM. The amount I charge for these extra credits is different depending on what level the customer is subscribed to. For example, at the "bronze" level, one extra message credit can be bought for $5, whereas at the "silver" level, one extra message credit can be bought for $3.

Can WHMCS handle this type of scenario where the price of an add-on is based on the main package the customer is subscribed to?

Question 6:

When a customer subscribes to App AAA "gold level", they are allowed to send up to 1,000 messages from my app. Is it possible to create a custom action hook (or default action hook) so that when a customer subscribes to this, it sends along the account ID and the value of "1000" so my app can process it accordingly?

Question 7:

My apps already have a members area. I have a link for billing that, when clicked, should bring the customer into WHMCS. I do not want to ask them for their password again. Does WHMCS have this type of custom single sign-on functionality?

Thank you very much for any insight! It is greatly appreciated! :)

5 answers to this question

Question 1:

this maybe done with some customization (module or action hook).

Question 2:

separate invoice for each billing cycle.

Question 5:

- you can creat a product category and call it "AAA"

- under this category you can add all of your packages:

- silver

- gold

- etc..

- under each product/package you can add multiple addons, configurable options, pricing (monthly, annually, etc..), and upgrade/downgrade options.

Question 6:

customized action hook can do that.