How can I actually allow Duplicate Email Address ?

gabe

On my WHMCS installation the user does not get to register, we provide an user account for his company, therefore we give him a login.

However, some users have more than one company and they wish to receive their invoices in the same e-mail, but when I try to register I get the following message:

Duplicate Email Address

How can I allow two logins to have the same e-mail?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for this if I can get it to work?! I am not quite clear on what you mean by " add a text after +" ?... I have tried this and I just get a bounce back on the email being sent to the address name+1@domain.com i.e. its just trying to send to the email name+1@ not the name@ email....

Appreciate any further clarification

Hi,

You can fix that using this tip:

Account 1 email: name@domain.com

Account 2 email: name+1@domain.com

Account 3 email: name+3@domain.com

Just add a text after + and all the accounts will have the same email working.

bump! any ideas... this really not clear to me but really need it!!!

You can't. Emails are your unique client account logins.

What 'I think' the OP meant was that you could create 'different email addresses' ? that were similar (same domain) for different accounts. I'm not sure how the OP's idea answered your question but the answer (as far as I know) is that you can't do what you are looking to do. (I don't know if you've fully thought through the consequences of what you are trying to do and the confusion it would cause, not only to yourself but also with your customers).

The only way for the OP's idea to work would be for the customer to create forwarders of the extra email addresses that would forward emails to the primary mailbox (or for them to create individual mailboxes) with the +1, +2 additions to the prefix and then have individual logins to those mailboxes to retrieve email. (ie, it doesn't answer your question at all). plus, I notice that this was the first and only post made on these forums by the OP. (hmmm).

Edited by Si

You can't. Emails are your unique client account logins.

What 'I think' the OP meant was that you could create 'different email addresses' ? that were similar (same domain) for different accounts. I'm not sure how the OP's idea answered your question but the answer (as far as I know) is that you can't do what you are looking to do. (I don't know if you've fully thought through the consequences of what you are trying to do and the confusion it would cause, not only to yourself but also with your customers).

The only way for the OP's idea to work would be for the customer to create forwarders of the extra email addresses that would forward emails to the primary mailbox (or for them to create individual mailboxes) with the +1, +2 additions to the prefix and then have individual logins to those mailboxes to retrieve email. (ie, it doesn't answer your question at all). plus, I notice that this was the first and only post made on these forums by the OP. (hmmm).

Plus addressing doesn't mean the creation of separate distinct accounts. The following would all be delivered to a single account (username@example.net):

• username@example.net
  • username+tag@example.net
  • username+tag2@example.net
  • username+tag3@example.net

Plus addressing doesn't mean the creation of separate distinct accounts. The following would all be delivered to a single account (username@example.net):

• username@example.net
  • username+tag@example.net
  • username+tag2@example.net
  • username+tag3@example.net

I've just tried this to 5 different email services cpanel hosted in the UK, another in the US, plesk (UK) etc and none of them worked. Each returned varying failure messages. (including a BT email address).

I fully understand what the OP is asking and needing to do. There is a very simple work around with this.

If the client email service has either Forwarder or email Alias service, most all email services do, with exception of Gmail, Hotmail (Outlook.com), Yahoo Mail etc. just do this.

In this example the ONE client has Three business's (or three clients he is managing) go to the email service of the client and set up three different email Aliases (in cPanel they are called Forwarders)

Lets say the main email box your client is checking is myemail@mybusiness.com

Set up the Three Aliases (Forwarders) on ANY domain, but to keep it simple we will use the same domain name here "mybusiness.com"

Alias 1: account1@mybusiness.com Forwards to --> myemail@mybusiness.com

Alias 2: account2@mybusiness.com Forwards to --> myemail@mybusiness.com

Alias 3 account3@mybusiness.com Forwards to --> myemail@mybusiness.com

Now you have the three fully working email addresses set up in WHMCS and when WHMCS sends out an email to the account holder they are routed ultimately to myemail@mybusiness.com

Of course the username of the email can be anything as long as its unique, doesnt have to be "account1", "account2" etc.

Hope that helps.

• 5 weeks later...
Account email address has to be unique per customer.

Are you seriously saying they have multiple businesses yet dont have an email address for each ?

We have the real situation where we have separate businesses in WHMCS (all owned by the same group company, as it happens) where they invoice through/via the same person or company. So it's not that the separate business don't have different email addresses, but their common invoicing person or company only has one.

We have the real situation where we have separate businesses in WHMCS (all owned by the same group company, as it happens) where they invoice through/via the same person or company. So it's not that the separate business don't have different email addresses, but their common invoicing person or company only has one.

Just add the common invoicing person as a contact on each account, and make them the billing contact.

Just add the common invoicing person as a contact on each account, and make them the billing contact.

We have a big annoying challenge with this...

Our cloud accounting software is http://www.xero.com, and very good it is too.

We're working (painfully slowly, as resources allow) towards syncing the two:

https://www.edgehosting.co.uk/whmcs-xero-addon/

In the first instance this means pushing contact records out of WHMCS and into Xero. But the sync addon will only push the primary contact record from WHMCS into Xero. And seeing as the most important thing to Xero is "who do I invoice?" therefore we have no choice but to make the primary contact record the invoicing contact record in WHMCS.

Rock <> Hard Place