Change text to prevent transfer confusion

durangod

Hi,

I had a customer complain that he did not realize i had a domain transfer fee. Well i dont.. But were he got the confusing text was after you select xfer domain from whmcs it shows this text.

Congratulations, we can transfer sitename.com to us for just $12.00 USD.

I understand what that means but some people might not so i wanted to share what i changed the text to read. If you have a shorter version or something else that works please share.

Changed text to:

Congratulations, we can transfer sitename.com to us for just $12.00 USD. This is not a transfer fee, our registrar requires a minimum of 1 year registration of your domain. Any registration time that you have remaining with your old registrar will be added to this. <br /> Example: old registrar 3 years + 1 year here = 4 years

Question, i have some custom (NEW) lang keys that are for special mods, will the overrides work for those as well.

I guess what i mean is once i get an update does it just look for overrides to existing keys or does it grab new key values from the override file as well?

Hi,

I had a customer complain that he did not realize i had a domain transfer fee. Well i dont.. But were he got the confusing text was after you select xfer domain from whmcs it shows this text.

"Congratulations, we can transfer sitename.com to us for just $12.00 USD."

I understand what that means but some people might not so i wanted to share what i changed the text to read. If you have a shorter version or something else that works please share.

Changed text to:

"Congratulations, we can transfer sitename.com to us for just $12.00 USD. This is not a transfer fee, our registrar requires a minimum of 1 year registration of your domain. Any registration time that you have remaining with your old registrar will be added to this. <br /> Example: old registrar 3 years + 1 year here = 4 years"

What happens when your customer chooses a TLD that doesn't add on extra years and doesn't charge? ie UK domains.

I dont have that issue because all of my TLD's that i offer have a minimum of 1 year. I also limit my business to US and CA clients. Althought i still offer the .uk simply incase one of my existing clients needs that option. I was originally going to base it on US, CA, and Uk but then i felt if i did UK clients then i would have to do other countries as well and so i just decided to keep it US and CA.

Are you saying that .uk TLD's do not carry over reg periods to the new registrar? I did not know that, if so then thats a rip off.

oh ok, i dont think i can do .uk i have .co.uk but i dont think i can even sell .uk from opensrs as i thought that .uk was only available inside the UK and not sold worldwide from registrars, is that correct?

What i have so far is com biz net org us info name co.uk ca tv mobi pw ws xxx that covers most of the good sellers right?

oh ok, i dont think i can do .uk i have .co.uk but i dont think i can even sell .uk from opensrs as i thought that .uk was only available inside the UK and not sold worldwide from registrars, is that correct?

no, there are no residency restrictions on .uk domains - and OpenSRS do offer them.

When I say .uk (I mean .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk etc). The point I was making was with different TLD's your language file change will not work. As penguin said, if a customer orders a .uk domain transfer, they are free but there is no extension to the registration period. Your language text will have to include caveats for different TLD's unless there is some way of using an <if> statement to display the correct information?

Just thinking outloud here and pointing out some of the limitations and why sometimes saying less is better than saying more and that WHMCS 'out of the box' has to cope with more than what we see alone in our own environment.

I did a test xfer, just input any co.uk i could find from the net since it will never process. And it came up with this text..

Congratulations, we can transfer xxxxxx.co.uk to us for just $18.00 and also showed my custom text.

so i looked at my price plan and have included the screen shot below at my price plan. So im wondering if i am doing something wrong with my price plan.

see below image..

coukprice.jpg

Update: so i looked that the opensrs pricing and its $8.00/one year $6.50/year for 2 or more years (Free No renewal on xfers)

so i think what i must have done is just went with the min of two years on this one rather than mess with 1 year. Im not sure why i did that, it was when i first set this up so i dont remember why i did that.

Edited by durangod

Thanks so thats why i did that lol... appreciate that info.. It has now been changed to

couksample.jpg

but now i see after this change that i need to change transfer from -1.00 to 0.00 because if it is -1.00 it does not show up as a xfer option on the order page...

ok so that is fixed and i fixed my mistake of -24.00 too.. and now the text on a co.uk xfer shows up as

Congratulations, we can transfer pcadvisor.co.uk to us for just $0.00 USD. This is not a transfer fee, our registrar requires a minimum of 1 year registration of your domain. Any registration time that you have remaining with your old registrar will be added to this.

Example: old registrar 3 years + 1 year here = 4 years

so now i just need to work on the if statement or just change my text to say "if the amount is not $0.00, the registrar may require 1 year min..

Edited by durangod

ok here is what i did, its untested but it should work i think..

i will need to first make a custom lang key for the if statement

the default lang key is carttransferpossible which is just this part..

Congratulations, we can transfer pcadvisor.co.uk to us for just $0.00 USD.

so i will make a custom version of that and store it in my overrides lang folder

carttransferpossiblecustom which will be

Congratulations, we can transfer pcadvisor.co.uk to us for just $0.00 USD. This is not a transfer fee, our registrar requires a minimum of 1 year registration of your domain. Any registration time that you have remaining with your old registrar will be added to this. Example: old registrar 3 years + 1 year here = 4 years

and then inside of templates/orderforms/comparison/domainoptions.tpl

i will change this

<div class="domainavailable">{$LANG.carttransferpossible|sprintf2:$domain:$transferprice}</div>

to this,

<!-- changed and added if statement -->

{if !strstr($transferprice,'0.00' )}

<!-- use custom version -->

<div class="domainavailable">{$LANG.carttransferpossiblecustom|sprintf2:$domain:$transferprice}</div>

{else}

<!-- use default version -->

<div class="domainavailable">{$LANG.carttransferpossible|sprintf2:$domain:$transferprice}</div>

{/if}

so lets hope this works.

Yes this seems to work i had to change the gt 0 to a string search because $transferprice is not an int value. So what i did is i used a smarty function to search the string for the value of 0.00 and if not found then it means i run the custom lang version because there is a fee. However if 0.00 is found then it runs the default lang text because because there is no fee.

I will update if i find a better way... What do you all think of this ?

Edited by durangod

whoooo hooooo hot dang it works great... :)

aahh! that feeling of thinking that some coding *should* work in WHMCS, but yet still being surprised when it does... i've been there! :lol:

thanks for posting the code - i'm probably going to add this to my setup... i've had two thoughts about this - one last night and one today after seeing your updated code, so i'll start with todays idea first.

the bad news is that your code would fail if you had a transfer fee for another tld (e.g .com) that was 10.00, 20.00 etc - i've just tested to confirm this.

the good news is that I can think of two ways around this - either add the currency symbol to the search (£, $, € etc)... and if you use multiple currencies, you would need to include them all.

{if !strstr($transferprice,'$0.00' )}

... or check to see if the domain being transferred is a .uk domain...

{if !strstr($domain,'.uk' )}

... or if you offer other tlds that are "No change to reg period" on transfer (having checked, there are more than I thought!), you would need to expand the if statement...

{if !strstr($domain,'.uk') and !strstr($domain,'.pw')}

the second point is a little more trivial, but you could replace the price of 0.00 in your default message with "FREE!".

so you could just change the overrides...

$_LANG['carttransferpossible'] = "Congratulations, we can transfer %s to us for FREE!";

you could then probably also change the code below by not passing the transfer price (as it won't be used if you are replacing it with "FREE"), but I don't think there's any practical reason to do this bit!

<div class="domainavailable">{$LANG.carttransferpossible|sprintf2:$domain}</div>
Edited by brian!

:idea:ahhaaaaaa dang i did not think of if was the larger amount but still had the trailing 0.00, for me in my case im thinking the $ options would work best. But all your options are very valid and appreciated for sharing.

I also really like the Free option in changing the text. I think for me the isolation of .uk search might be a bit limted. But could very well work for many others...

thanks again for sharing and seeing what i did not see... nice job :!: and another one for that :!:

so this is what i have now..

<!-- changed and added if statement -->
{if !strstr($transferprice,'$0.00' )}
 <!-- use custom version -->
  <div class="domainavailable">{$LANG.carttransferpossiblecustom|sprintf2:$domain:$transferprice}</div>
 {else}
      <!-- use default version -->
            <!-- new code  took out transfer price because i changed the lang text to read free -->
              <div class="domainavailable">{$LANG.carttransferpossible|sprintf2:$domain}</div>

<!-- old code
       -->

{/if}

<!-- end of change -->