• 4 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so stopping them is not wise.

Most spammers and fraudsters use free email accounts, so stopping them is actually very wise, despite your unsupported assertion. Unless you don't care about supporting spammers or fraud!

On the other hand, in all fairness, gmail is not really a "free" email account provider in that sense, as it's less common for spammers/baddies to use it. I wouldn't consider use of gmail as a red flag.

Most spammers and fraudsters use free email accounts, so stopping them is actually very wise, despite your unsupported assertion. Unless you don't care about supporting spammers or fraud!

On the other hand, in all fairness, gmail is not really a "free" email account provider in that sense, as it's less common for spammers/baddies to use it. I wouldn't consider use of gmail as a red flag.

True, but this differs from company to company. If you offer free hosting, or very very cheap hosting then spammers & fraudsters tend to target you easier than someone who doesn't. So it's also a matter of what you offer. And, the really determined spammers will use a normal email address, even if it's stolen, just to get in

We have struggled with this one for years. Been in the business for 9 years so just to give some food for thought to those who aren't in the business as long:

We were getting hit by fraud orders (sometimes 6 a day) and it was taking up A LOT of man hours, and some costs in chargebacks when some got through. We employed IP blocking, telephone screening, etc etc, and still the fraud orders continued. We now place a complete block on free email providers hotmail, gmail, googlemail, yahoo etc, in fact the list provided here.

Now, Fraud orders = nil.

What about our bottom line though?

Well, we've just had our best month ever in the 9+ year history of our company. (global credit crunch included)

Customers understand when we explain why and seem happy to differentiate themselves from fraudsters.

Hope this helps

Si

Very useful, thanks.

However, I won't be using it. Most people nowadays have free email accounts and actually prefer to use them when signing up for most sites, besides, I haven't had any problems with people using free email accounts yet anyway. I would prefer not to restrict people from using free email accounts.

• 3 weeks later...

I have followed the instructions in the download and receive the following error when trying to install the plug-in. Could anyone tell me what I should do next?

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://www.mywebsite.com:2082/3rdparty/phpMyAdmin/import.php might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

Below is the original error message

Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.

• 2 weeks later...
I had this addon a while back, but then I uninstalled it. Is it really a good idea to ban so many email domains, especially ones like hotmail, yahoo and gmail? What is the logic behind banning these, maybe I am just unaware. Thank you.

usually when you install an add-on, you do so for a reason. ie to solve an existing problem. Why did you install this in the first place?

If you aren't having a problem with fraud orders, you won't appreciate the value. As soon as you do start having fraud issues - 90%+ of which originate from hotmail/yahoo addresses etc, then you'll appreciate the add-on.

;)

The use of this add-on will always come down to personal preference and choice. We can afford to be choosy about who we want as customers and most people who use us have access to 'proper' email addys (ie domain or ISP based emails). If they want to use google, gmail or yahoo after they sign up, that's not a problem. However, we insist if we are going to be up-front with customers about who we are, that they at least be up front with us at sign up, (and if they have nothing to hide it won't be an issue), considering the fact that we are the ones carrying the financial risk.

Fraudsters ALWAYS use free emails providers. PERIOD. (My experience).

If they won't/aren't prepared to differentiate themselves from fraudsters at signup point, and understand why we ask that they do that. It's adios I'm afraid. There's plenty of other hosting companies they can go to. Our loss I guess. :-)

Si

Edited by Si

• 1 month later...

I have a 'send email failed' error and I have it for a client that already exist and using an email account setup on his hosting account. Also I have a client at BT Open Reach and I can't send him emails to his @openreach.co.uk account.

Does anyone have any ideas as this is now a very frustrating issue and I need to resolve this?

All the best,

Lloyd Codrington.

• 2 months later...

You forgot temporary inbox sites :)

INSERT INTO tblbannedemails (domain) VALUES ('trashmail.net');
INSERT INTO tblbannedemails (domain) VALUES ('temporaryinbox.com');

BTW. I just removed Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo since most clients sign up using those.

BTW. I just removed Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo since most clients sign up using those.

For what I understand this mod must be used for avoid fraud because most people use Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo for do that...so if you remove this 3 big provider on the list using this mod don't make a lot sens..

Right now for me I don't have again run my business so I don't plan to restrict user to subscribe/buy a product using free email...If later I see I get fraud problem I will implement it...

For what I understand this mod must be used for avoid fraud because most people use Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo for do that...so if you remove this 3 big provider on the list using this mod don't make a lot sens..

Even if I had a fraud problem, I would be hesitant to block email like yahoo, hotmail or gmail (especially gmail). I have several customers who are signed up using these free emails.. they are good people and always pay their bills. They are the type of customers that had no other email address when signing up, and if I was to reject their order based simply on their email address, I would have lost their business not to mention making them frustrated. I don't want to risk losing business by blocking popular free email domains like these.

Edited by apollo1

Even if I had a fraud problem, I would be hesitant to block email like yahoo, hotmail or gmail (especially gmail). I have several customers who are signed up using these free emails.. they are good people and always pay their bills. They are the type of customers that had no other email address when signing up, and if I was to reject their order based simply on their email address, I would have lost their business not to mention making them frustrated. I don't want to risk losing business by blocking popular free email domains like these.

Yes sure I understand...but Matt say:

The banned email list will stop the user from ever signing up with an email on one of the domains on the list. Until they signup and checkout, the fraud check isn't run. Doesn't affect orders from existing clients with free emails - only new signups.

Matt