Free Module: Paypal No fees !

10+4% (payed by customer) = 14 we receive a payment in paypal

14 -4% (charged by paypal ) = 10 we receive this funds.

This is what you meant ?

Its percentage based, and that doesnt make sense.

$10 + 4% = $10.40

$10.40 - 4% = $9.98

This obviously adds up over time, and with larger invoices.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

you can choose whether to add the module as TAX, or simply recharge the invoice amount with a percentage

This is what you meant ?

Tax or defining something as tax is illegal, tax is how our government and other governments make money. You cannot make up your own tax. I don't know specifically but you could face serious fines or prison time for drawing funds as "tax" without the intention of reserving those funds for the government.

I dont think , customer can select other gateway if disagree.

You are correct, they click the X on their browser ta and go somewhere else.

I have seen this countless times on WHT and other forums of people leaving due to this very thing.

10+4% (payed by customer) = 14 we receive a payment in paypal

14 -4% (charged by paypal ) = 10 we receive this funds.

Ok first of all PayPal fees are not 4% They are in the 2.9 percent range + 30 cents for an normal user. If you plan to charge for processing fees above the actually cost, now you are in more trouble.

10 + 4% is not 14. It is 10.40

14 - 4% is not 10. It is 13.44

You will also have to pay the 30 cents or whatever the regular fee schedule in your country is.

Here is a good PayPal Calculator. http://ppcalc.com/

The more you raise your "tax" the more PayPal takes from you.

YOU are not a merchant or a gateway provider, you are not a direct processor for any bank. YOU do not have the right to charge for a transaction fee.

If you would like to spend the money to become a payment provider then you are entitled.

Edited by tripler

lol

Tax or defining something as tax is illegal, tax is how our government and other governments make money. You cannot make up your own tax. I don't know specifically but you could face serious fines or prison time for drawing funds as "tax" without the intention of reserving those funds for the government.

You are correct, they click the X on their browser ta and go somewhere else.

I have seen this countless times on WHT and other forums of people leaving due to this very thing.

Ok first of all PayPal fees are not 4% They are in the 2.9 percent range + 30 cents for an normal user. If you plan to charge for processing fees above the actually cost, now you are in more trouble.

10 + 4% is not 14. It is 10.40

14 - 4% is not 10. It is 13.44

You will also have to pay the 30 cents or whatever the regular fee schedule in your country is.

Here is a good PayPal Calculator. http://ppcalc.com/

The more you raise your "tax" the more PayPal takes from you.

YOU are not a merchant or a gateway provider, you are not a direct processor for any bank. YOU do not have the right to charge for a transaction fee.

If you would like to spend the money to become a payment provider then you are entitled.

you have no idea of business have you. Any retailer can charge a processing fee/low order fee or whatever they want to call it on any specific payment method.

in the UK PP charge 3.4% +20p so 4% will cover these costs

When you walk into a hole in the wall 7-11 the sign says minimum 5$ not buy anything + X%

When you go into a municipality or government and they take checks or cash... guess why? They dont want to pay a fee because of governmental accounting.

When you go to certain gas stations that list the price of gas lower if you pay cash.. Guess why? You got it! You dont see gas stations saying its X per gallon + x%

And yes I have a good idea of business, and I can also calculate percentages... thanks

When you walk into a hole in the wall 7-11 the sign says minimum 5$ not buy anything + X%

When you go into a municipality or government and they take checks or cash... guess why? They dont want to pay a fee because of governmental accounting.

When you go to certain gas stations that list the price of gas lower if you pay cash.. Guess why? You got it! You dont see gas stations saying its X per gallon + x%

And yes I have a good idea of business, and I can also calculate percentages... thanks

The examples you have stated are cash sales and cheque sales, which are totally different to CC and DC sales.

In the UK 99.99% of retailers no longer accept cheques. so retailers do have min. requirements if payijng by card, but some now will charge a fee for using cards no matter how much you spend and as anything else you can chose to pay by card and pay the fee or pay another method and not pay the fee.

should i inform PP they are wrong and must contact tripler before they give out such statements as they gave me.

Simply, even if I am totally wrong on some accounts I don't understand how you cant fathom that adding a fee on top of a total checkout just adds to your cost of fees.

This would also reflect on you come tax time in regards to both income and increased expense.

I have reached out to both my business accountant and attorney via email as I am interested in the potential implications if any... ill be sure to let you know =)

Just do what resellerclub does.. When you "add funds" to your account they reduce it by the paypal fee they are charged..

So use the credit aspect of whmcs instead.

I don't think it is wise to charge the customer the fee.. but I dont run your business and I don't expect you to run mine.. do what you wish :)

Adam

And how ENOM and Resellerclub does it ?

Because they're charging a "convenience fee" for paying online rather than offline, and it's not "gateway" dependant (i.e. they charge for them all) - personally I see it as it's just another * to show lower pricing - same as GD quoting the domain fees then adding their iCANN charges on afterwards

Just my 2 cents here,

I personally think charging the fee to a customer is a bad Idea, but to each their own

One thing that needs to be pointed out here is that what you were sent was from paypal.UK where passing this fee is allowed, this is still not "Allowed" in the US ( not sure about other countries )

make sure to check the correct rules for your country before using this module

I don't understand how you cant fathom that adding a fee on top of a total checkout just adds to your cost of fees.

)

this is simple if you take a payment of £1 through paypal you will pay the paypal fees on the £1. if you take a payment if £1 + 4% (£1.04) then you will pay paypal fees on the £1.04. this is simple maths

I too was under the impression that splitting out the PayPal fee was against their Terms and Condtions; I used to bang on about it, whenever I noticed this

However, I suspect that was more to do with eBay UK, and when eBay acquired PayPal this requirement was removed

The next issue is the transparency of Transaction handling fees, and it is still NOT permitted to do this within the UK

However, I have been checking and provided you use only specific phrases (such as handling fee, admin fee, etc) then you are permitted to do so

If you specifically use a phrase that includes "credit card" or "debit card" fee, then this is no longer permitted

As has been highlighted in the media in the UK, such phrases are highly despised by customers and such that OFT has continued to pursue this matter

The ASA has taken action against some companies that continue to use the "card processing" phrases

However I cannot find anything specifically that would not permit this in the UK

Personally, this a cost that should be accounted for in the pricing structure

No matter what online payment method you use there will be a fee, and even if the customer sends you an offline payment method (cash, cheque, Direct Debit, etc) those too will have fees/costs

I too was under the impression that splitting out the PayPal fee was against their Terms and Condtions;

this is how i thought it was until i got the below from paypal

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding the fees charged to process a

payment.

PayPal accounts are charged a fee when receiving a payment for a sale.

The standard rate to accept money is 3.4% + 20p and we also offer a

competitive merchant rate.

PayPal was originally designed as a service for individuals - people who

might need to collect money for a group gift or transfer funds between

friends. While we will always continue to provide this service for all

users, there are also real costs associated with providing our service -

particularly costs associated with processing credit card payments.

Visa, MasterCard and American Express charge us for every transaction we

process, and we need to pass this fee on to sellers to cover our costs.

If you wish to charge your customers extra to cover these fees that is

up to you as a business. But you will be charged the fee on the amount

you receive into your account. So if you charge your customers an extra

3%, when you receive that payment into your account you will be charged

3.4% +20p on the total cost you receive.

You can apply for a lower rate if you are eligible by following these

steps.

You are eligible for our Merchant Rate if you have a PayPal Business or

PayPal Premier account. You must also have received at least £1,500 GBP

in payments in your PayPal account within the last month.

Here’s how to apply for the Merchant Rate:

Go to http://www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.

Click ‘Fees’ at the bottom of the page.

Click ‘1.4% to 3.4% + £0.20 GBP’ under ‘Get paid.’

Click 'Are you eligible for lower rates?' near the bottom of the page.

Click ‘Apply now’ and complete the Merchant Rate application.

Read the User Agreement, and then check the box to indicate that you’ve

read and accept the agreement.

Click ‘Submit.’

If you’re approved for the Merchant Rate, we automatically adjust your

fees at the beginning of each month. The adjustment is based on your

payment volume for the previous month.

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,

Farrah

PayPal

Copyright © 1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved

I know the UK authorities are not happy if you were to call it a processing fee, but their is nothing stopping you from doing this as long as all charges are made clear to the consumer before they actually made the purchase.

if you go to most UK retail stores and look at the signage usually on the door where it states which cards ithey accepts it will tell you their that the processing fee is added to the goods, so in effect if you are paying cash you are actually paying a CC/DC fee within the goods price even though you are not using this method

I downloaded this module

I had terrible problems trying to translate (the untranslated text) from Spanish to English

Oddly, when I set Spanish some text was in English, and when set to English some text was in Spanish?!?

Followed the instructions

However, this field doesn't make sense :

Merchant account ID See README.txt tutorial to how to get this data

There is NOTHING within the README.txt file that advises how to complete this step

ENGLISH

Instructions:

1-Upload paypalnofees.php to /{yourwhmcsdirectory}/modules/gateways/

2-Goes to Setup -> Payments -> Gateways

3-Setup with your details. Thats all.

So went to my PayPal account, no such field found there either...

Applying this module is easy enough, whether it actually works is another question!

What I did notice at NO point does it state to the customer that an additional fee or tax will be applied

Under the normal invoice the total was £18

Under the PayPal No Fee the total was still £18

edit :

Found my Merchant account ID, took me long enough!

Edited by m8internet

I downloaded this module

I had terrible problems trying to translate (the untranslated text) from Spanish to English

Oddly, when I set Spanish some text was in English, and when set to English some text was in Spanish?!?

Followed the instructions

However, this field doesn't make sense :

Merchant account ID See README.txt tutorial to how to get this data

There is NOTHING within the README.txt file that advises how to complete this step

So went to my PayPal account, no such field found there either...

Applying this module is easy enough, whether it actually works is another question!

What I did notice at NO point does it state to the customer that an additional fee or tax will be applied

Under the normal invoice the total was £18

Under the PayPal No Fee the total was still £18

yes i had the same issue with the merchant account fee. he told me what to do in a ticket

thank , we correct now README.txt

The only data you will need is your Merchant account ID.

How to get it :

Enter to your paypal account

Go to Profile -> More options

Here is your ”Merchant account ID”

you can find this info here http://www.argentina--software.com.ar/index.php/2012/04/09/nuevo-modulo-gratis-whmcs-paypal-sin-impuestos/?lang=en

but we found that if a clients was invoiced for £4 in paypal they would be charged $4 + whatever fee you applied

the OPs response to fixing this was

> installed this and it askes clients to pay in USD when my default currency is

> GBP

In paid version 19 $ you can select your currency to use..

so we desiced that the free mod was useless and just removed this, which in effect messed up all our WHMCS and it took a support ticket with WHMCS to sort this out.

Edited by easyhosting

I've inspected the base code (wanted to make sure there wasn't back communication to the provider)

I noticed the default currency is USD

This is easily changed by simply removing or editing this

So if the invoice is £18

Surely PayPal would convert this into USD (lets say $30) and then add the 4%

The customer can then decide whethe they want to pay $31.20 or convert it into £18.72

The disadvantage with $31.20 is that PayPal then use their currency conversion rate, and so receive £18.72 (as there is no additional handling fee applied by PayPal, unlike a bank)

Quite clumsy and not worth paying any extra for...

One use I can see for this is where my customers want to pay in USD, rather than GBP, as I only offer GBP

As I suspected this module is really aimed at those in the US, where the adding of fees is not permitted

Agreed, if you are in the UK there is no need for this module...

Edited by m8internet

I've inspected the base code (wanted to make sure there wasn't back communication to the provider)

I noticed the default currency is USD

This is easily changed by simply removing or editing this

So if the invoice is £18

Surely PayPal would convert this into USD (lets say $30) and then add the 4%

As I suspected this module is really aimed at those in the US, where the adding of fees is not permitted

Agreed, if you are in the UK there is no need for this module...

thats what i thought it would convert, but it does not all it does is change the £ to $ so paypal will charge the amount in USD and not GBP

in the Uk it is more common to have the fees included in the price, but their is nothing stopping you from adding the fees to the price as long as you are clear about this

There is a line missing in the free version

As above, this is only of use when using USD and the author needs to make this clearer...

This could quite easily be overlooked when using other currencies, with £18 becoming $18 plus 4%, with no currency conversion at PayPal (that is where it would need to be applied)

You could however quite easily amend this, but it needs knowledge of base64

There is a line missing in the free version

As above, this is only of use when using USD and the author needs to make this clearer...

This could quite easily be overlooked when using other currencies, with £18 becoming $18 plus 4%, with no currency conversion at PayPal (that is where it would need to be applied)

You could however quite easily amend this, but it needs knowledge of base64

he says the ability to change currency is available in the paid version for $19, but you need to ask the OP for this version as its not available from his site

Edited by easyhosting

Exactly, anyone not using USD (so that would mean just about everyone else) would mean having to pay for this (ironically in USD)

Is it worth paying $8 for?

No, as you simply amend the code received...

exactly and as i am no coder so no idea what to change or add so as it was free i have not lost anything

exactly and as i am no coder so no idea what to change or add so as it was free i have not lost anything

eeek...

A host that doesn't do code?!?

Not even HTML, php, MySQL?

I don't write code anymore, but I have a working knowledge

I only recently had to start on basecode64; hate it

Seems pointless as all you do is copy / paste / decode / edit / encode / copy / paste

A working knowledge of HTML seems pointless as well now though, all too much "copy / paste this code"

Anyway, back to this script

I had to deactivate it after confirming the £20.00 became $20.80

That is POINTLESS

The next issue I thought about...

Say you do actually buy the currency option

The same issue will still exist

It only allows ONE currency

Yes, fine if you only use GBP, £20.00 then becomes £20.80

However if the customer then changes to USD, the script will then export this as GBP

That won't work either...

I did firstly think that using one for each currency might be required, but the client could siimply realise this and pay LESS...

eeek...

A host that doesn't do code?!?

Not even HTML, php, MySQL?

what i mean i am not a professional coder. yes i know my way around HTML,PHP etc. and can build a basic website round these.

yes even the paid version has 1 currency, which we have our site set with GBP (default), USD and Euro as we have clients who use these currencies, so the script would be pointless as you state.

Edited by easyhosting