Resource Abuse Monitor

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your to-do list looks pretty interesting, I'll be watching :)

v1.0.1 has been released with the cron task changes; users need only create one cron job now, the others are called by WHMCS daily. I'm hoping to have all of the phrasing done by tonight, depending upon the rest of my work load today, and then on to the other things in that list.

v1.0.1 has been released with the cron task changes; users need only create one cron job now, the others are called by WHMCS daily. I'm hoping to have all of the phrasing done by tonight, depending upon the rest of my work load today, and then on to the other things in that list.

Since I just bought this last night and installed 1.0.0 to test, it seems like dev is pretty rapid right now. Are there upgrade docs, or should I hold off on live install while you dev?

Since I just bought this last night and installed 1.0.0 to test, it seems like dev is pretty rapid right now. Are there upgrade docs, or should I hold off on live install while you dev?

Please submit support requests via our Web site as I may not always get the message here. As for upgrades, you only have to overwrite the old files with the new. You don't lose any configuration settings or anything like that.

The change log indicates which files were added/modified/removed so you know exactly which file(s) were updated. We could wait to release updates further apart, but if it's not an update that will affect stability or anything like that, we would rather make the minor update available for everyone to make use of. It's your choice to decide if you want to replace the few files that were modified or not, given the changes indicated within the change log; namely, whether or not the changes would benefit you at this time.

Any updates that would possibly affect stability or have possible negative affects on the other hand, would be more rigorously tested prior to their release. This module will be under constant development as requests are made and we continue on with our present to-do list. However, it is stable and ready for general use as-is.

Edited by GGWH-James

Im wondering how this works as far as a reseller or a root user of a cpanel server goes?

we have clients who are setup as a "super reseller" for lack of a better word where they are the only reseller on a server, and of course theres vps clients as well

how does this handle and report to people with this sort of setup as opposed to individual clients?

Im wondering how this works as far as a reseller or a root user of a cpanel server goes?

we have clients who are setup as a "super reseller" for lack of a better word where they are the only reseller on a server, and of course theres vps clients as well

how does this handle and report to people with this sort of setup as opposed to individual clients?

Please submit any pre-sales inquiries here, via our Web site.

To answer your question though, the firewall monitors the server as a whole; that's a must on a shared server. You can set the firewall to monitor either all users on the server or just cPanel-specific users. You can exclude certain users as well. Read up on ConfigServer Security & Firewall for further information with respect to that. Simply put, it makes no difference what type of client they are to you; as long as they have an account on the server, they can be monitored by CSF. This module will in turn process and act upon alerts for any account that's attached to a client within WHMCS.

If your setup is that resellers are clients in your WHMCS, but not their clients, the module will only take action upon your resellers individual accounts. In order for it to take action upon your resellers clients (the accounts that they've resold), they would also need to be running WHMCS and have this module installed to their WHMCS installation. For both modules to be able to process alerts from CSF/LFD, you would need to create separate monitor e-mail accounts for each to process and set a single forwarder to deliver the alerts to both accounts.

This setup probably sounds more difficult than it actually is. However, if you're still unsure as to how to set it up, you can order the installation addon for each individual license and we'll do it for you.

You shouldn't need something like this for your VPS users as whatever virtualizer you're using should handle their resource usage.

Edited by GGWH-James

thanks for your quick response...

Unfortunately i dont think it will suit our needs as we purely do managed and virtual whm installs and would have wanted this sort of function to report on the resellers clients or the root user of the servers clients to them, not just their own site :(

perhaps something for the future?

thanks for your quick response...

Unfortunately i dont think it will suit our needs as we purely do managed and virtual whm installs and would have wanted this sort of function to report on the resellers clients or the root user of the servers clients to them, not just their own site :(

perhaps something for the future?

You can, the module simply needs to be installed in each WHMCS individually.

__EDIT__

I read that wrong the first time; I read WHM as WHMCS. :$

Being a WHMCS module, it collects account information from the WHMCS database. So if the user's not in a WHMCS database, it won't report within WHMCS about them as, technically, they don't exist; not within WHMCS anyhow. CSF/LFD will monitor all accounts on the server, regardless of whether they're associated within WHMCS or not, but the module will ignore those specific alerts though as it wouldn't be able to associate them with a WHMCS account.

Edited by GGWH-James

Currently, at v1.0.8 of this module and have started work on the inode side of things.

I'm debating, whether to code it as part of this module or create a separate product altogether and have them both check for each others existence. Once both are completed and working together, they would definitely be worth a bit more than the current pricing; especially since I'm not limiting the number of servers with either, only the WHMCS installations. If you had a thousand servers in your network, you could monitor them all with it; provided that the client accounts on each were associated with a WHMCS client that is.

For the sake of simplicity and completeness though, they will most likely be coded as one complete product/module. Those who hold active licenses at the time the inode inclusive version is released will obviously retain their original pricing, whereas any purchased after its release will be subject to whatever new pricing may be put in place at that time. I'm not enforcing version restrictions (i.e. v1.x.x, v2.x.x, v3.x.x, etc.) for licensing, only per product.

Edited by GGWH-James

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.0.1 has now been released. Those currently using our abuse monitoring package have had nothing but good things to say thus far.

Knowledgebase articles regarding the integration of the cPanel stats into your own custom theme will be put in-place over the next few days. Included with our package is a version of the x3 theme with stats and inode restrictions already integrated; ready-to-use. You can just upload the theme ball and use our theme if you don't use a custom theme of your own.

In addition to the standard, non-expiring, 94% off of the 1st month of a Leased license, we're currently offering 25% off of an Owned license; expires after 10 uses and may only be used once per client.

Edited by GGWH-James

Version 2.0.1 has now been released. Those currently using our abuse monitoring package have had nothing but good things to say thus far.

Knowledgebase articles regarding the integration of the cPanel stats into your own custom theme will be put in-place over the next few days. Included with our package is a version of the x3 theme with stats and inode restrictions already integrated; ready-to-use. You can just upload the theme ball and use our theme if you don't use a custom theme of your own.

In addition to the standard, non-expiring, 94% off of the 1st month of a Leased license, we're currently offering 25% off of an Owned license; expires after 10 uses and may only be used once per client.

I must say, it's looking pretty good, just what I have been waiting for, I will probably order it in the next few days or so.

Just a question though:

If someone's account hit the CPU or memory limits set? What would happen? Would the system kill the processes or suspend the cPanel account?

And how does the inodes system work? I can see from the screenshots provided that it looks like it would prevent any backups from being generated, is there anything else that would happen if a user hit the inodes limit? e.g. suspension, etc.

Also are there any warnings sent out when you start to use up the allocated amounts, so they are aware that they need to lower their usage?

I must say, it's looking pretty good, just what I have been waiting for, I will probably order it in the next few days or so.

Just a question though:

If someone's account hit the CPU or memory limits set? What would happen? Would the system kill the processes or suspend the cPanel account?

And how does the inodes system work? I can see from the screenshots provided that it looks like it would prevent any backups from being generated, is there anything else that would happen if a user hit the inodes limit? e.g. suspension, etc.

Also are there any warnings sent out when you start to use up the allocated amounts, so they are aware that they need to lower their usage?

At present, the CPU and memory limits are informational only and cannot be actioned automatically by the monitoring system. However, it is on the to-do list for the next release. With that said, it can be made so that excessive processes are killed as-is though. For example, if you define a limit of 25 processes at any one time and the user has 26 running, it can be killed if set to do so. It can also be set to kill processes which exceed a memory per process limit as well. Now that these things are being monitored, we can start integrating support for automatic actions based upon them.

Currently, only alerts from CSF/LFD can be automatically actioned by the WHMCS module. However, as said, this will be expanded now that we've got the monitoring support in-place for other stats. Yes, at the moment, backups are the only thing which get restricted due to excessive inodes. However, this will be an actionable abuse just the same as the CSF/LFD alerts with a future release; hopefully, the next release.

Warnings are sent out, yes. The warning thresholds can be configured within the WHMCS addon modules admin interface.

Edited by GGWH-James

ok thanks Jamroar.

I think for now, I'll keep watching until the automatic action systems are available.

One final question: I trust it would still work fine if the WHMCS installation was installed on a separate reseller hosted off network? (this is so my clients can contact us & unblock themselves from our main server)

Only you would just configure the WHMCS module & put the relevant files on the servers you wish to use the monitor system on?

You can monitor every server within your network with this one package. CSF/LFD and the WHM plugin must be installed on each server, but the WHMCS addon module only needs to be installed to your WHMCS installation.

As long as they're all configured to report to the same monitor mailbox, monitor an unlimited number of servers. However, for what should be obvious reasons, the WHMCS addon module cannot action accounts which are not associated with a WHMCS client account.

v2.0.2 is currently being developed and tested locally. We should have it ready for release before the day's over.

v2.0.2

In-progress

•  
    Summary:
    • Added a new cron task to monitor total CPU usage and total memory usage.
    • Renamed our included cPanel theme to "realfly".

[*]

File Changes:

• cPanel/WHM:

•  
        Added:
        • /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/gg_abuse_monitor/gg_abuse_monitor__cron_02.php

[*]

Modified:

• /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/cgi/gg_abuse_monitor/index.php

[*]WHMCS:

•  
        Modified:
        • gg_abuse_monitor__cron.php
        • modules/admin/gg_abuse_monitor/gg_abuse_monitor.php

The new stats monitoring that was enabled will now generate alerts which are counted toward the alert thresholds set within the WHMCS admin interface for warnings and/or suspensions. The alerts are viewable by both admin and client, just the same as any other alert.

Edited by GGWH-James

Want to mention I got some great support last night from these folks. Very friendly and very proficient. Found and fixed probs very quickly. It's a very nice addon.

That being said... anyone that has this addon. Care to share what they feel good config points are? Are the default figures a good starting point or too lenient? I was thinking along the lines of 10% for cpu load and memory usage. The number inodes before backup is not allowed would be problematic for most of my clients.

Just curious what anyone else is using...

-Roger

Want to mention I got some great support last night from these folks. Very friendly and very proficient. Found and fixed probs very quickly. It's a very nice addon.

Thanks for the kind words, Roger. We always try to help where we can.

The number inodes before backup is not allowed would be problematic for most of my clients.

Either of the inode limits can be set unlimited if you like by specifying either "-1" or "unlimited" for one or both of them.