Community Supported Knowledgebase v2

tsiedsma

Don't do this. I don't want to see any posts like this in this thread. The KB only works if people contribute, please download the plugin and contribute some articles if you download some.

I disagree, then don't lock up what should be a freely given item by anyone in this forum!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TJ,

Just so you know, I have talked to others on the WHMCS forum and found they TOO have the same issues with your Locked-Up Knowledgebase.

NO ACCESS!

I'll just go back to this forum and start posting knowledgebase file as I did before.

This is a real pain in the rear for us. We still don't understand why you got in the way of progress anyway with this pain, cant get access module.

Thanks for answering our "lack of understanding" questions that you cant keep answering anymore.

Latter

The knowledgebase isn't locked down, I don't even know what you are referring to. You download the plugin, install it in WHMCS. You load the module page and enter a couple of pieces of information and you have full access. Version 1.0.2 fixed all the problems people were having. The only restriction is that the only access to the KB is via WHMCS.

I disagree, then don't lock up what should be a freely given item by anyone in this forum!

Again, nothing is locked up. It is free information to any WHMCS user.

And this is mainly why KB#2 is failing just like KB#1 did.

Write your own. Invest the time and effort in your own business and stop relying on the easy way out.

My 2 cents.

Obviously this is an option for anyone. I didn't make this mod because I want other people's KB Articles, I made it to help new users of WHMCS. I know how hard it is to think of articles to provide your users. This way we can all update the KB to allow newbies with a usable resource. This can in turn benefit everyone. The idea here is that no one person is in control of the data. Anyone can contribute and download at anytime without the requirement of someone moderating the data or granting access.

Download the plugin, run it in your WHMCS modules and enjoy. It is free and open source.

Don't do this. I don't want to see any posts like this in this thread. The KB only works if people contribute, please download the plugin and contribute some articles if you download some.

I ask this to see if it was worth my while contributing - why should I waste my time if there are only a few KB articles? Downloading the module and adding it takes time.

If there was some kind of count on your website and the titles of the KB article (and perhaps even a snipet) then one would easily know if they could add something. If it is closed (which this is, since you need to signup to view the information, and you kinda refused to answer my question) then more people will be in the same boat as me. Even if the whole article was viewable, you could always put advertising around it, Google Ads or even ads for your own hosting service, so you could make revenue from it too as well as making it the "number 1" place to go for webhosting KB articles.

Looking at your own website, I don't really see many KB articles, yet alone anything of interest. Since this is your baby (so to speak) I would have thought you'd be showing everything that was there already - though I could be wrong.

But to be honest, if people really want to get all these KB articles for free, what is to stop me from going to other websites (by a simple Google search) and copying all their KB articles? I could just go to the websites of users who said they will help on this forum and take some community created from them.

At the end of the day, the more open this is, the better it will be - just think of Firefox, if that wasn't open source, would it be anywhere as good as it is today? Would everyone still be using Internet Explorer?

At the end of the day, the easier it is for people to see what they want, and to add things - the more open response you'll get and the better this will become.... I wonder if this project may be better suited on WHMCS itself, then come pre-installed with a KB database.

Edited by mrJ

Well, except for the person that controls that plugin and code and site.

Who was that again? ;)

The plugin is open source, the data has to be hosted somewhere and I provide that. The comparison was with the original thread that required the one person entering the data manually.

With 4.2.1 multi-language knowledgebase, this module still working?

Please test it and let me know.

I ask this to see if it was worth my while contributing - why should I waste my time if there are only a few KB articles? Downloading the module and adding it takes time.

If there was some kind of count on your website and the titles of the KB article (and perhaps even a snipet) then one would easily know if they could add something. If it is closed (which this is, since you need to signup to view the information, and you kinda refused to answer my question) then more people will be in the same boat as me.

Looking at your own website, I don't really see many KB articles, yet alone anything of interest. Since this is your baby (so to speak) I would have thought you'd be showing everything that was there already - though I could be wrong.

But to be honest, if people really want to get all these KB articles for free, what is to stop me from going to other websites (by a simple Google search) and copying all their KB articles? I could just go to the websites of users who said they will help on this forum and take some community created from them.

At the end of the day, the more open this is, the better it will be - just think of Firefox, if that wasn't open source, would it be anywhere as good as it is today? Would everyone still be using Internet Explorer?

Don't waste your time if you don't want to, copy other peoples work without their permission if thats the type of thing you like to do.

As for the content in my knowledgebase, I only have information that applies to my customers. Plus, my content is not what is available here. I made a tool FOR FREE and shared it with the community to make it easy to share knowledgebase articles with other users. Use it or don't use it. I don't care. I've made my contribution, the rest is up to you guys.

If you have suggestions for improving the functionality, post them in this thread, but keep the complaining out, it isn't productive and I don't want to hear them.

At the end of the day, the easier it is for people to see what they want, and to add things - the more open response you'll get and the better this will become.... I wonder if this project may be better suited on WHMCS itself, then come pre-installed with a KB database.

Install the plugin and open it in WHMCS Addon Modules. You enter your name and WHMCS Forum username and hit submit. This then allows you to view all articles and submit right from WHMCS. It is super easy and works great. Just try it.

Sorry if I seem a little irritated, but I am. I worked hard on this plugin to make something people can use to benefit each other and I feel like my work is unappreciated. I had the best intentions when developing this plugin and just wanted to help out. I hope people can find it useful but it won't work unless a lot of people use it and contribute.

Per requests earlier in the thread I did remove all requirements for contributing before being allowed access. Also, in version 1.0.2, I removed the registration requirement and now all you have to do is put in your name and forum username for it to work.

Help me make the plugin better for the community, that's what this is all about.

I understand you've worked hard on this, but it's based on a flawed premise, much like the previous one.

You're relying on people to fill the KB, but these people want a free KB, not to write one, which involves work. If they wanted to write one, they simply would. The benefits of writing a unique set is beyond measure, and some of my articles hit #1 in Google for related terms. When I'm monitoring visitors, the bulk of SE hits are to those articles. They often then click through to see more about the services...

Can you see the point?

<opinion>

Work ethics have changed (some might suggest "vanished"). Newer people that are providing hosting haven't had the same growing pains as those of us that have been in it for 10 years or more, with having inferior billing apps, less available tools to run and maintain servers and no pre-built knowledge bases. There's no investment of time, no earning the end result. It's all "buy a domain, buy a reseller account, rent WHMCS, set up $1/month plans, sit back...I'm a host!".

I've seen it day after day, on forum after forum, where someone has an issue and when pointed to where to find the answer they get upset and angry until someone spoon feeds them the exact steps. No investment.

And that is why this project is also doomed to failure, IMHO. Lots of takers when you offer it free, but when they have to contribute...they move on.

</opinion>

Though people could always add KB articles that they have already put together and sharing them.

The idea behind this is good, though as bear said above, some people just want something for nothing (they always outweigh the number of contributors) - it would be nice if this could work, it could potentially work (though as I thought before, if it were more open and anyone could add to it - not just a WHMCS user - then it has more potential) .... just don't bite anyone's head off if they only ask how many KB articles there were.....

I understand you've worked hard on this, but it's based on a flawed premise, much like the previous one.

You're relying on people to fill the KB, but these people want a free KB, not to write one, which involves work. If they wanted to write one, they simply would. The benefits of writing a unique set is beyond measure, and some of my articles hit #1 in Google for related terms. When I'm monitoring visitors, the bulk of SE hits are to those articles. They often then click through to see more about the services...

Can you see the point?

<opinion>

Work ethics have changed (some might suggest "vanished"). Newer people that are providing hosting haven't had the same growing pains as those of us that have been in it for 10 years or more, with having inferior billing apps, less available tools to run and maintain servers and no pre-built knowledge bases. There's no investment of time, no earning the end result. It's all "buy a domain, buy a reseller account, rent WHMCS, set up $1/month plans, sit back...I'm a host!".

I've seen it day after day, on forum after forum, where someone has an issue and when pointed to where to find the answer they get upset and angry until someone spoon feeds them the exact steps. No investment.

And that is why this project is also doomed to failure, IMHO. Lots of takers when you offer it free, but when they have to contribute...they move on.

</opinion>

Very well put. It was a good idea, but I see how it is a doomed project. I guess I'll leave it as is if people want to use it but i'm not going to contribute anymore of my time to improving it unless it actually starts to get used.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to post an update and thank the users who have contributed and made this project work. There are 70 or so articles with new contributions fairly regularly. Please download and give this a try, share what you have done and benefit from what others have done!

• 2 months later...
I just wanted to post an update and thank the users who have contributed and made this project work. There are 70 or so articles with new contributions fairly regularly. Please download and give this a try, share what you have done and benefit from what others have done!

What is the current status of this project? Is the project still active, being supported, and development still in progress? What are number of articles available?

After reading the whole thread it seems all the commotion has stopped along with post. This kind of leaves one in the dark.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...