Free Account with Free Domain

blymp

Hello everyone!

Does anybody knows how to offer a free account with a free domain registration?

WHMCS doesn't offer the option to enable a free domain with a free account, just with other account types.

I know that I can create a promotion/discount code but I just don't want to offer a free account that the client needs to enter a code.

I've seen that I could create a hook that analyzes the extension (TLD) of the domains that I want to offer free and it would insert the promotion automatically, but I have no clue how to do it. Anybody knows?

--

The support recomendation:

The only thing I could suggest for this would be to use a custom hook. In that hook in the preshoppingcartcheckout function, you could examine what domain has been ordered and if it ends .BR set a promotion code in the cart that gives a 100% recurring discount for the domain.

--

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I found another solution too, I included the promotion code in the following line:

<form method="post" action="{$smarty.server.PHP_SELF}?a=add&pid={$pid}&promocode=registro-br" name="domainchoose" target="act_wnd" onsubmit="document.getElementById('loadinggraphic').style.display='block'">

on the file configureproductdomain.tpl from the orderforms!

so it forces to load the promotion code, and works only with the settings of the promotion code previously set.

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that.

The 3 emails that the client received is evidence enough. He doesn't need to get an annoying $0 every single month for a free service which doesn't cost anything as well.

Free or not, this is where I cancel my subscribtion. And you may not care (seeing how diplimatic you force your way of thinking onto your clients), but I could have been your next biggest client ever. The next host who doesn't have these stupid rules in place will gladly accept my business and my $5000 monthly contribution (as an example).

I have had clients before who did something like this, and by no pissing them off on the first day (maybe they came to us cause the previous host did the same as you?) we kept them and they do generate a lot of business. One of them ended up taking 17 dedicated servers

Best of luck with that as a defence when the IRS come to call ...

The 3 emails that the client received is evidence enough. He doesn't need to get an annoying $0 every single month for a free service which doesn't cost anything as well.

If the billing cycle is *free* then there wont be a *monthly* invoice will there ... :P

Why is it expected? What, exactly, is the purpose of a $0 invoices? Why spam the client with unwanted, and redundant info?

A$0 invoice is redundant and should never even be produced.

Exactly, is that hard at some point in the code to insert something like <IF invoice = 0> don't generate </IF> :)

IRS or not, it should be up to the system owner how to use his system, since WHMCS it is being used in many countries with different laws. So me and my clients don't really care about 0,00 invoice as said before is irrelevant.

0 in this case means free, free doesn't need a receipt sent by email, just the record on the Client Area is fine!

Anyways I think this thing is set already and whatever...

Free or not, this is where I cancel my subscribtion. And you may not care (seeing how diplimatic you force your way of thinking onto your clients), but I could have been your next biggest client ever. The next host who doesn't have these stupid rules in place will gladly accept my business and my $5000 monthly contribution (as an example).

I have had clients before who did something like this, and by no pissing them off on the first day (maybe they came to us cause the previous host did the same as you?) we kept them and they do generate a lot of business. One of them ended up taking 17 dedicated servers

I agree with othellotech, if an invoice is for $0,$10,$100 it has to be generated as it is a product sold and for business records and IRS or HMRC purposes all invoices must be recorded and accounted for

You do know the invoice sent can be edited? You can write something like "with us you saved more money this month, Your logo keeps your company name in their brain etc.

Use it as a marketing tool.

I have met many clients that were with another host when I first contacted them, most could not tell me who they hosted with or where their domain names were registered.... I bet a monthly thank you for being a XXXYZ hosting customer letter would have changed this.

A simple whois got me the info, but really, they cant refer friends if they forget who you are....