WHMCS for Multiple Domains?

TheW

Question

Can WHMCS be used to manage for multiple sites?

Say I own company1.com, company2.com and company3.com, and the parent company is "parentcompany.com" Is possible to use WHMCS, installed on "parentcompany.com" to manage the billing/invoicing, etc. for all three "company" domains?

Or do I need a separate WHMCS install for each individual "company" domain?

Thanks.

25 answers to this question

Can WHMCS be used to manage for multiple sites?

Say I own company1.com, company2.com and company3.com, and the parent company is "parentcompany.com" Is possible to use WHMCS, installed on "parentcompany.com" to manage the billing/invoicing, etc. for all three "company" domains?

Or do I need a separate WHMCS install for each individual "company" domain?

Thanks.

The simple answer is you will need individual licences for each domain you want to run the WHMCS software on.

If you are okay with customers for the child companies using the parent companies domain for billing and being billed by a single business then you can set up WHMCS with just the one licence and even configure separate templates for each brand. In this example all customer from companyX.com must browse to parentcompany.com.

Otherwise you'll probably need multiple licences and multiple installs.

How about adding something like this to your .htaccess file:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^alt-hosting.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://real-hosting.com/$1?systpl=althosting [QSA,L,R=301]

This should allow the alt-hosting.com URL to be redirected to the real-hosting.com site, but with the althosting template being loaded... everything else should be the same.

I, too, would like the ability to run multiple companies from within a single WHMCS install. The redirects provided by robb3369 suffice for changing the look, but when visitors click on "Order" and view a list of the products they can see all of the products available within WHMCS. I would like to filter which products are displayed based on which template the visitor is using.

If the custom fields were available within the products.tpl template, you could create an Admin Only custom field for each product and then only display those products which have a custom field equal to the template.

Since this is not an option, I'm using some custom mods to filter the results. I'll be happy to share if anyone's interested, but they're rather quick 'n' dirty.

Is there another way to restrict which products are shown based on template? I couldn't find one directly within WHMCS.

Along the same lines, it would be nice to be able to have "Server Groups". This was probably the one nice thing that ModernBill had going for it. I could add servers to various groups with various fill limits and configure shared hosting to go to one group and resellers to go to another, with the group automatically rolling over to the next server after the fill limit is hit. With these options in WHMCS, one could also configure clients from company1 to one group of servers and clients from company2 to get setup on another group.

Though, I'm sure there is a lot more required to adapt WHMCS for multiple domains. If anyone has any further suggestions for what changes may need to be done, I'd appreciate the direction. Right now, I'm just kind of poking around the client side pages looking for what does and doesn't work on the different domains and fixing as I go.

While we would love this feature also it starts to get very complex very quickly:

- You need to have a way to show which products belong to which company (and therefore show up on which order form)

- You need to be able to use the same payment gateway multiple times (i.e. each brand may have it's own merchant account)

- All the reporting needs to be redone

This would just be a huge change to WHMCS IMHO

While we would love this feature also it starts to get very complex very quickly:

- You need to have a way to show which products belong to which company (and therefore show up on which order form)

- You need to be able to use the same payment gateway multiple times (i.e. each brand may have it's own merchant account)

- All the reporting needs to be redone

This would just be a huge change to WHMCS IMHO

Yes, I need too... somebody solved this?

My problem is this...

I have various sites (in diferent domains) with different hosting plans. Some more cheap with less services and some more expensive with more services.

My company and my payment processor are the same and under the same name, because all belongs to the same company .

When somebody click in a plan on cheapesthostingplansfrommycompany.com and go to WHMCS, he can see the plans on this domain, but the visitor can see also the plans on expensivehostingplansfrommycompany.com , and this is not serious in business image.

After review the templates, I don't know If I can to use a condition based on the referer field for show the appropiate products in function of the domain that call the WHMCS.

Any help?

FDAH.net

The other issue with separate whmcs for each domain is staggered billing and support issues. One would like these at one location ie within one whmcs.

What I am trying is to have whmcs set up on generic site and have separate theme / set of skins for each of my domain also using code in .htaccess to rewrite url, and email redirection from each domain to generic site. Have not figured out how to hide generic sites email address in support and billing replies as yet.

In fact I have not figured out anywhere in forum as well as help document as to how to use different set of skins for each stream, but I assume it can be done.

The point is if one is to spend time in doing all this, who will run the business.

So may be if we are to use whmcs, reconciling to license for each domain may be better.

I too would really like more control over who sees what. I have multiple company brands (separate websites, company names, different prices) all are billed through the parent company name using WHMCS.

1) I'd like to create separate order forms for each company that shows the 4 or 5 hosting plans for that company. Is this possible?

2) I'd like to send out welcome letters with instructions for the specific company this person signed up with. (I could do this based on the name of the product the person ordered *if the custom email variables actually were documented and worked* but I can't get them to work at all. I don't think I'm alone in this )

Just some suggestions. Here's to hoping.

Arf

Yes, I'm interested. Can you post here or send me directly?

FDAH.net

Admittedly, I don't work with Smarty templates much so there may be a better way to do this. But here's how I get my product forms to only display the products associated with each company.

First, you'll need to have each template setup and the appropriate redirects in place as robb3369 mentioned.

Then, in products.tpl adapt and add this code to the top:

{php}

$template = $this->_tpl_vars['template'];

if($template == 'company1')
{
 $validpids[1] = array('1','2','3');
 $validpids[2] = array('4','5');
 $validpids[3] = array('6','7','8');
}
else if($template == 'company2')
{
 $validpids[1] = array('9','10');
 $validpids[2] = array('11','12');
}

$gid = $this->_tpl_vars['gid'];
$pids = $validpids[$gid];
$this->assign('pids',$pids);

{/php}

The index into validpids is the gid for each group of products you sell. The array for that gid is the pids of each product for which that company sells. i.e. company1 sells only products with pids 1, 2, and 3 for group 1 and company2 sells products 9 and 10 for group 1 etc..

You're basically manually telling the products.tpl template which products to display for which site templates.

Now, change this (around line 25 of products.tpl):

{foreach key=num item=product from=$products}
<div class="cartbox" align="center">

to this:

{foreach key=num item=product from=$products}
{if in_array($product.pid, $pids)}
<div class="cartbox" align="center">

and add the closing {/if} tag above the {/foreach} around line 55:

{/if}
{/foreach}

As I said, it's quick and dirty and you have to update your products.tpl anytime you add in new products, but it separates the products out so they only display on the appropriate templates. You still have to worry about the other points ffeingol mentioned.

This has been a long-term issue for us as we operate a number of brands.

We can use templates and order forms to pretty nicely mask the signup procedure but there's no way to change the FROM address on the system e-mails for example.

We're not trying to get out of buying multiple licences - it's just a nuisance managing multiple installations.

WHMCS is *so* close to working in the way we need it ... just needs a little more.

Simple as this:

in configuration.php add

$systpl = 'templatename';

However, doing so will force whmcs to use this template even if you specify one in the url, from what i've experienced so far anyway.

Edited by Hutts
Can't Spell :)

the answer is no, it's not the template or smarty... thats the easy part.. it's all the back-end that needs the work. This is something that only WHMCS will be able to do, and it's a BIG job... Maybe Matt or one of the staff will come on to say just if they are even thinking about it, I say I doubt it as only 10% might need it... I'd like to have it myself for later down the road, but it's a lot of work to get this one up and running...

ok my first reply on this forum.... and sorry for bumping a very old post.

we have tried this by getting two whmcs sites reading the same database but as stated above we ran into a lot of issues fast.

we tried to get the site B to read another table for tblconfiguration but all hopes ended soon due to the encryption.

the method we tried after was to sync 2 databases apart from a few rows ie config, billing, emails ect ect but this too is a head ache. and we would have entered the data in for the un synced rows...

we have spent a lot of money trying to get this to work but always end in issues, we out of money now and trying to still solve this

im trying to find a hook that syncs between 2 installs of whmcs any help on this be great