IP Monitor Admin Addon

Matt

• WHMCS CEO

I developed an IP monitoring addon for my own use to monitor various servers & their ports. It has proved very useful for me so I am now offering it as a free addon for you to use with WHMCS!

It allows you to monitor as many IP and port combinations as you like and sends email notifications when a service is down, and then again when it comes back up. The emails are sent as short plain text and so it can be used with an email-to-SMS service from your phone provider.

It relies on the server your WHMCS is installed on being online for the checking to function.

This is not a client area addon and is not intended for client use.

Details can be found @ http://wiki.whmcs.com/Contribution:IP_Monitor

Hope you find it useful!

Matt

Nice work Matt. My version just didn't quite cut the mustard, so I'm glad you made your version public.

The only issue I had with it was the "DELETE" image that you had.

For whatever reason, in my current version (3.6.1) the "/admin/images/icons/delete.png" file doesn't exist. Was that something added in the 3.6.2 version?

Other than that, the script works flawlessly. Nice work!

Only other item is that I'd like to be able to change the wording that goes out on the notice. Since I'd slap this into an SMS, all the "-------" are just wasted characters. Much rather see "Status: DOWN" and "Status: UP" rather than a long winded sentence.

• 2 weeks later...

My cron for this is generating a headers already sent error.

<br />
<b>Warning</b>: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent in <b>/home/dbadmin/public_html/thanks/modules/admin/ip_monitor/../../../dbconnect.php</b> on line <b>0</b><br />

Since I just uploaded the files and didn't edit them, i was a little surprised. Anyone else have this issue?

• 2 months later...

Matt,

We want to add the option to send an sms when the service is down. However we do need some additional options to do so. Here (NL) most of us use Mollie to send SMS messages.

Can you please check documentation here: http://mollie.nl/geavanceerd/sms/http/en/

and see if you can add options to get this running ?

If wanted I am willing to help and provide our company login for testing purposes

Kind regards,

Erik

• 5 weeks later...
It would be great if this script would double check a ip/port X amount of times before confirming the service is down. Or does it already do that?

It will check the port at regular intervals depending on how often you set the cron job to run. If when it checks and the port is unavailable it will fail.

I would rather it tell me as soon as the port has failed so that it can be rectified quickly instead of waiting for a customer complaint.

Mind you that if you are checking the same server as it is installed on and it fails you won't be notified anyway. It would work well if you teamed up with someone else so they check yours and you check there's.

We would also like to change the email template that it sends, and adjust where the email is sent depending on which server goes offline. We have over 200 servers at various locations and would like the email to be dispatched to different emails depending on the server that goes offline.

• WHMCS CEO
and adjust where the email is sent depending on which server goes offline

Can already do that - you can set which email address is notified for each IP that fails

If you want customisations, of course as always, you can open a ticket to discuss.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Matt

Nice addon.

I have suggestions:

1 - Create a field to exclude ports - Without this, I have to insert global ports on every server because one of then will ignore 1 port.

2 - Double check port before send the email (or other routine that will prevent false positives)

Im having a problem with this script, I have it setup to check the default port on ever server as 80 then have used the addittional ports to list other ports on other servers, reason being I have several other services on other boxes, then i specified an addittional notification e-mail, it doesn;t seem to be sending the addittional notification emails it will for the defaul ports but not for the addittional.

Am I doing something wrong? Cron output shows nothing wrong