Big thanks for Maxmind

bear

Just a note to say thanks for incorporating Maxmind anti fraud into WHMCS. Several times now it's spotted sketchy orders and simply cancelled the thing before it became a time waster of refunds and so on. Quite an improvement from the previous system(s) I was using.

Just today had one that claimed they lived in Ohio (US), had a French email and an African IP. Never got to the payment gateway. Beauty, that. :D

Just wondering what package you guys are running with maxmind, I'm old modernbill user and we are in the process of moving to Whmcs really excited to get things running we are still using fraud guardian which worked great and I'm sure it's compareable.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm old modernbill user and we are in the process of moving to Whmcs

Your working life is about to become immeasurably easier, less stressful and more enjoyable. You really have made the best business decision possible :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say guys, sorry to burst your bubbles, but MaxMind is a total pain in the backside, and really really annoys all existing customers.

It tries to verify EVERY SINGLE ORDER ever placed, regardless of existing customer or not. So, how many times do you need to screen the same customer for fraud?

Also, its very easy to bypass it simply with a pay as you go mobile and a credit card that might not be yours, and the telephone verifications are a joke because we have a ton of customers with 0845 and 0870 company numbers and when they have placed orders, the invoice has been cancelled before they can even pay for it as it "Over-react's" to something that doesnt fit an exact dimension.

there really is NO TOLERANCE for anything human like incorrect phone numbers, phone numbers that are non-standard etc.

If you do a little bit of checking yourself manually, you can screen out orders far better, and then never have to screen a customer ever again once you know they are genuine.

Things like checking their phone number matches the card address, checking the order IP matches location of address and ISP provider captured by WHMCS and actually telephoning the customer yourself to say hello and speak to the card holder all combined with a few other things will ensure a 100% anti-fraud success.

So, sorry to bring all the praise to a downer, but, while it is knowingly saving you from some fraud, think about all the genuine lost business that it is also costing you, then ask yourself "Is it really free, or are we paying for this in more ways than 1?"

We experimented with telephone verification and maxmind but found it to be a pain in the backside.

Now the straight forward fraud scoring is a different matter, once set at a level for your business it works a treat.

This year alone it has stopped 100's of fraudulent orders and only actually got 1 wrong!

It has saved us a fortune in free domain costs alone.

Paul

Thats the problem with a lot of these automated anti-fraud systems, they just dont have, and will never have that human touch, that margin of "Judgement" based on analysing "all" the facts in front of them, like:

> Has this customer already been screened (VERY important)

> If customer has given a non-geographical number, contact them and ask for the real number so it can be verified against the address given.

> Is the number given, a mobile number, non-geo number or a landline.

In the last 8 years we have never ever used any of these automated fraud systems for anything longer than a day or two due to the complaints from customers calling up asking things like:

> Your system said it will call me with a pin number, but that was hours ago, I've got to go out now, when will it call?

> Your system has cancelled my order but I have several accounts with you already, what did I do wrong?

Also, with this maxmind, as happened to us yesturday when we switched it on for a few tests, a customer just happened to register 2 domain names at the same time we were testing, and it cancelled his order, marked the invoice cancelled, yet it left the 2 domain names under his "My domain names"

So, WHMCS, why is it that when Maxmind cancels an order, why does it leave the products in the customers account if it wont let them order the prducts in the first place? We can see what was ordered in the cancelled invoice, but this just now leaves us with more manual cleaning up to do.

Not exactly automation saving you time or money is it...

By the way, I'm not here for endless complaining, I'm just highlighting the flaws that currently exist, based on experiences with several other billing systems

Switch it on and try it, then let us know what happens to you...

What might happen if you put in a pay as you go mobile phone number thats not registered to anybody, or a non-geo 0870/0845 number?

Or, in our case yesturday, customer phone's up several hours after ordering wondering when will he get his verification call, only for us to check the order and see it's already been cancelled! (Existing customer with long established good record, lots of accounts with us and normal landline number)

Try it out with variations and see what happens.

I read this thread and thought, WOW this is really something and purchased the standard Fraud detection.

We have a problem though whenever a customer orders the Fraud detection through WHMCS seems to time out and we get this Error

Curl Error connect() timed out!

We submitted a ticket and Matt said we needed to open some ports and whatnot and said that he doesn't believe that many users use Godaddy for their main website. I thought I might toss it out there. Is anyone on Godaddy?

We host our main website on Godaddy Enterprise shared hosting service.

Has anyone else had this problem that can shine a little more light on it? We would love to use Maxmind

I read this thread and thought, WOW this is really something and purchased the standard Fraud detection.

We have a problem though whenever a customer orders the Fraud detection through WHMCS seems to time out and we get this Error

Curl Error connect() timed out!

We submitted a ticket and Matt said we needed to open some ports and whatnot and said that he doesn't believe that many users use Godaddy for their main website. I thought I might toss it out there. Is anyone on Godaddy?

Has anyone else had this problem that can shine a little more light on it? We would love to use Maxmind

I got this error only once - I use a VPS from zipservers.com

In my case I believe it is just a small network timeout in the minute of placing the order either on my side or on maxmind side.

however. I have great success with maxmind. screened various orders being placed from high level fraud countries using US credit cards.

got ZERO charge backs since I activated maxmind.

• 3 weeks later...
I

Most companies would host their main page on their own servers, not some shared bogged down, and unreliable host.

There's no such thing as Godaddy "Enterprise" shared hosting.

I would rate Godaddy's web hosting at decent at best, but I would really never trust my data, especially client data with such a host - that's probably why almost no one uses them.

• 3 weeks later...
Most companies would host their main page on their own servers, not some shared bogged down, and unreliable host.

There's no such thing as Godaddy "Enterprise" shared hosting.

I would rate Godaddy's web hosting at decent at best, but I would really never trust my data, especially client data with such a host - that's probably why almost no one uses them.

Thanks for your sarcasm. This still does not answer our question does anyone else use godaddy? With maxmind it seems that it will go through about once every 2 order. Kind of like a lag effect

Actually, it's common practice for some to keep the hosts site on a different server from thier customers, in case the production server goes down. This offers a way to get in touch when things aren't working. I wouldn't suggest cheap shared, but a different server/network is a valid aproach.

• 1 month later...