NordVPN is actually CHEAPER to buy from their own site

tkalfaoglu

I just noticed that the new WHMCS update allows us to sell NordVPN..

Well, I also noticed that we are to pay $5/month and charge more to the customer.

However, if you go to their site, you can get the same thing for far lower -- with free 3 months!

WTF comes to mind.. Why/how would we sell this over the retail price of the thing?

12 hours ago, tkalfaoglu said:

I just noticed that the new WHMCS update allows us to sell NordVPN..

Well, I also noticed that we are to pay $5/month and charge more to the customer.

However, if you go to their site, you can get the same thing for far lower -- with free 3 months!

WTF comes to mind.. Why/how would we sell this over the retail price of the thing?

Yes but they need to signup 2-year plan and monthly is $12.99 see screenshot

NordVPN.png

On 3/27/2023 at 2:10 PM, Anita Fitch said:

However, in general, it is not uncommon for resellers to mark up the price of a product or service they are offering in order to make a profit.

There could be several reasons why WHMCS is charging more for NordVPN than the retail price on the NordVPN website. For example, WHMCS may be offering additional services or features that are not included in the retail price, or they may be providing a higher level of support or customization.

It is also possible that the higher price is simply to cover the costs of integrating NordVPN into the WHMCS platform and providing ongoing support and maintenance.

Ultimately, whether or not it makes sense to purchase NordVPN through WHMCS will depend on your individual needs and priorities. It may be worth comparing the features and pricing of NordVPN from different sources to determine which option is the most cost-effective and meets your specific requirements. 

What a generic high-level reply! Would be nice if you would have said

Here are the extra features that WHMCS will provide with NordVN ......

Here are WHMCS reseller banned by law to buy NordVPN who will be able to buy through WHMCS and are not bothered about the price!...

etc...

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @tkalfaoglu,

I'm pleased to hear you're interested in our new NordVPN offering which offers competitive standard pricing with minimal commitment.

The Standard monthly plan price on nordvpn.com is $12.99/month.

Through MarketConnect your cost is as low as $4.50/month. This enables you to sell at the RRP of $8.99 which is a significant discount below the direct pricing.

The Standard annual plan price on nordvpn.com is $124.35/year (or $68.85/year with the current promotion).

Through MarketConnect your cost is as low as $42.00/year. This enables you to sell at the RRP of $59.88 which is a significant discount below the direct pricing.

Of course you are welcome to set your own selling price at the margin you're most comfortable with.

The actual WTF is that there's no SSO so customers can't access their accounts and apps from within your client area. Also, there's no White Labelling which means you're spending money marketing someone else's product, and your customers can always leave you and go direct to Nord at any time. I am looking for a product I can white label, and which my customers can access and use from inside the client area.

• 5 weeks later...

I find it deeply questionable that there seems to have been no research done on what a VPN is and what it actually offers people. Instead the announcement pushes the same false advertisement these companies use to push a product based on fear and lack of understanding. VPNs have their uses, but are extremely limited and come with large caveats attached that should absolutely be something potential customers need to know.

Privacy is one of the biggest parts of it, yet routing a network through a VPN means they will be able to log all traffic going through it. What websites are visited, what connections are open and what is downloaded. Despite their advertising claiming no logs are kept, that "fact" has been proven to not always be true and even if no logs are kept, that doesn't mean no data is analyzed. After all they gotta monitor if you are overusing their service.

Security is a completely false claim. Connections to https are encrypted from browser to server, adding a VPN in the mix does nothing for security. While a VPN can have additional firewalls setup to prevent inbound or even outbound connections to potentially malicious actors it does nothing for overall security. With ssl being easy and free now even scammers will be able to create a secure connection and fetch your login credentials just the same. Pushing it as a security is, in my eyes, false advertising and illegal.

Better performance. I seriously saw some of them saying using a VPN and encrypted traffic will increase performance over public wifi. While compression is part of encryption the actual reduction in data is not significant if it doesn't actually add more data being sent in the process of establishing a connection in the first place. Encryption, additional that is, also takes processing time so it will drain your battery faster as a result. In fact VPNs often block or restrict certain protocols actually making it worse to use certain things on the internet, udp traffic, icmp or other non tcp http stuff.

I find it deeply concerning how the advertising language of these companies is taken at face value and nothing seems to be questioned. End result will be people finding their data stolen when a VPN does in fact log things and gets breached. Especially Nord pushing their products heavily when there is little to no benefit just on peoples' fears over their data privacy and security is morally wrong. VPNs really only provide ways to circumvent geolocks and that might be something against the terms of whatever company has been geolocking you, so you might even find your account being terminated if they find out or worse even get yourself in legal trouble over it.

I'm not going to start selling this stuff and I'd much prefer if the templates and other things would not contain any hints towards Nordvpn or other vpn things unless I actually do, because seo is going to parse it regardless.

• WHMCS Support Manager
On 3/30/2023 at 4:57 PM, Mandalorian said:

The actual WTF is that there's no SSO so customers can't access their accounts and apps from within your client area. Also, there's no White Labelling which means you're spending money marketing someone else's product, and your customers can always leave you and go direct to Nord at any time. I am looking for a product I can white label, and which my customers can access and use from inside the client area.

The value proposition is in reselling a VPN service with world-wide brand recognition. You don't need  to spend money or effort marketing the service as NordVPN does this for you; would you be sponsoring international sports teams or advertising on broadcast TV for your own white-labelled service? Are your clients more likely to pay for a white-labelled VPN service from you vs. one of the globally recognised brands?

The upsell path is that your clients see NordVPN is available from you, and due to their brand awareness, choose to buy through you alongside their other services for convenience. Pay-TV providers are increasingly using this approach to increase their value proposition to customers by offering to bundle your Netflix/Disney+ with your pay-TV package; client churn is reduced and you get a margin with zero setup and maintenance.

Reselling is a new channel for NordVPN, meaning their API is evolving. If SSO becomes available in future then we'll be able to add that in an update.

On 4/30/2023 at 4:44 PM, Tampa said:

I'm not going to start selling this stuff and I'd much prefer if the templates and other things would not contain any hints towards Nordvpn or other vpn things unless I actually do, because seo is going to parse it regardless.

As with all MarketConnect services, the landing page and links aren't displayed until activated by an admin, and of course they are customisable once activated.