Remove Declined Credit Cards

davet

How does everyone deal with this problem...

A customer creates an order and tries to pay with a credit card which is declined.

Then daily when the cron job runs it keeps declining the card. When I go to the customer profile it shows there is no card on file, but the cron still tries to process the card daily... up until I either mark the account as fraud or cancel.

My merchant account charges me a transaction fee every time the card is declined until I cancel the account or mark as fraud. So basically I'm getting charged this transaction fee daily until i cancel or mark as fraud.

I'd like the account to stay as Pending, but i don't want the credit card processed anymore since it just keeps getting declined.

Also how does WHMCS deal with an established customer who places a card on file which gets declined? Does it keep getting declined daily until they remove the card?

My other billing system deals with it in this way....

If a card on file is declined 3 times it removes the card on file.

Is WHMCS setup in this way? Is there an option for it?

I shouldn't have to do this manually for every card that gets declined. It would be VERY helpful if after 3 declines it automatically removed the credit card from the payment options for the invoice.

I have been asking for such a feature for months. No luck yet.

• WHMCS Developer

I'm assuming (should I) that it is tblGatewaylog.

you could write a script that runs after your payment cron (like 1 hour or something) that checks the date (this month) the data (would contain the same hash??) the result (same for a decline) could be parsed and counted.

Then once one client gets to 3, you could set the script to set their payment method to "mailin" or whatever and notify you.

I don't use a CC payment gateway ATM, so I wouldn't be able to do a "proper" test and script.. but I am sure it *could* be done.

• 3 months later...
I'm assuming (should I) that it is tblGatewaylog.

you could write a script that runs after your payment cron (like 1 hour or something) that checks the date (this month) the data (would contain the same hash??) the result (same for a decline) could be parsed and counted.

Then once one client gets to 3, you could set the script to set their payment method to "mailin" or whatever and notify you.

I don't use a CC payment gateway ATM, so I wouldn't be able to do a "proper" test and script.. but I am sure it *could* be done.

Write our own script? This capability should be written into WHMCS. Currently if a card is declined it keeps getting processed until the customer removes the card or we remove the card. We get charge $0.30 per transaction which adds up. It would be helpful if the card was removed from their account after the 3rd sequential decline.