Tons of spam inactive clients

ScrltOTara

I saw something about a client in WHMCS and when I looked at the client, I had never seen them before!  I turned off "hide inactive" in the client list and there are dozens of inactive "spam" clients.  How are people able to create an account and make themselves inactive so they can't be seen?  I assume this has to do with the fraud orders that have been more and more numerous lately.

I would bet you have Automation settings -> Client Status Update -> "Change client status based on active/inactive products" or "Change client status based on active/inactive products and not logged in for longer than 3 months" set and you just never noticed the inactive ones until now.   Disabling registration without ordering prevents this behavior or at least they have to go through order processing and thus fraud checking.