Domain registration issue (domain not available after order)

Hello,

I'm using v8.0.5 of Whmcs and had an issue last night where a client placed an order for a .space domain and it was accepted by Whmcs and i'm assuming showed available when the client checked it but the registration failed with the following message:

Client *** has paid for the registration of domain ****.space and the automated registration attempt has failed with the following error: Domain ****.space already registered

When I now check that domain with the domain search it just shows: 'Domains must begin with a letter or a number and be between and characters in length' (pricing is setup correctly) but another whois lookup tool shows it as 'This domain has been reserved by the registry, and is not available for registration.' (confirmed this with our registrar)

Is this normal or a bug and whmcs should have caught that it was unavailable? Any help would be appreciated to avoid  future issues?

Thanks 

Update: Just check again on our site using Whmcs as the lookup provider and it again shows it as: Congratulations! ****.space is available!

Edited by Faizal1

On 20/07/2021 at 15:53, Faizal1 said:

Is this normal or a bug and whmcs should have caught that it was unavailable? Any help would be appreciated to avoid  future issues?

might depend on your lookup settings and whether it's a premium domain or not - also, maybe the whois server was giving incorrect responses, or the relevant lookup API... or your dist.whois.json is outdated.

one way to see if it's premium is to go to the enom site and search for it - if it's premium, it should tell you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 8:53 PM, Faizal1 said:

Hello,

I'm using v8.0.5 of Whmcs and had an issue last night where a client placed an order for a .space domain and it was accepted by Whmcs and i'm assuming showed available when the client checked it but the registration failed with the following message:

Client *** has paid for the registration of domain ****.space and the automated registration attempt has failed with the following error: Domain ****.space already registered

When I now check that domain with the domain search it just shows: 'Domains must begin with a letter or a number and be between and characters in length' (pricing is setup correctly) but another whois lookup tool shows it as 'This domain has been reserved by the registry, and is not available for registration.' (confirmed this with our registrar)

Thanks 

Update: Just check again on our site using Whmcs as the lookup provider and it again shows it as: Congratulations! ****.space is available!

I found same issue & can see WHMCS Namespring & Standard lookup not able to detect any premium domain that why it's showing as available. It's must be a bug of WHMCS or their API limitation they must need to fix it. Because any "Domain Registrar" whois lookup working fine & they are showing which one is premium & which one is regular.

Related to this thread imho.

Whois lookup is in general restricted. Registrars are directly connected to the registry provider related to the respective TLD and can therefore provide accurate availability checks including premium domains. Whois Lookup is based on public available whois data and is therefore not 100% reliable, slow and cannot cover premiums. Whois Servers could even be buggy.

The best idea is to use a registrar as lookup provider. If you need premium domains covered, then use one of those that support premium domains like HEXONET (use their ispapi module), enom, resellerclub ...

Best

Kai

Edited by PapaKai