"Guest" tickets not seeing contact added

Only just switched away from third party desks, and have an issue with the "guest" designation in tickets. 
I have a user that was not in the system yet as a contact, etc., and the first time they showed up as a "guest". They were added as a contact to the company, but today a new ticket came in from the person (same email that was added previously), and it shows them as a guest again. Double checked all of it, name, email both correct.

Is that some sort of "sticky" label that won't change for those added after the first one? I see no mention anywhere of that. 
I'd ask support, but it's too hot here to submit, wait a lot, then be asked for admin access to "have a look". 

Edited by bear

15 hours ago, bear said:

Is that some sort of "sticky" label that won't change for those added after the first one? I see no mention anywhere of that. 

https://docs.whmcs.com/Support_Tickets#Ticket_Reply_Badges

• Authorized User indicates a user who is associated with the account but is not the account owner.
  • Registered User indicates a user who can log in to the WHMCS Client Area but who is not associated with the account and is not the account owner. (This was External User in WHMCS 8.1 and earlier.)
  • Guest indicates an email address that is not associated with any account, user, or contact in WHMCS.
  • Owner indicates the user who is the account owner.
  • Operator indicates a WHMCS admin user.
  • Sub-account indicates an address in the account's list of contacts.

I would have thought with the second ticket, they should have been marked as a sub-account.... possibly it's one of the 100+ bugs supposedly fixed in v8.2..... I assume you're still using v8.1.3 ?

16 hours ago, bear said:

I'd ask support, but it's too hot here to submit, wait a lot, then be asked for admin access to "have a look". 

are you stuck in that heatwave where its 46 degrees or something.... I think i'd be in a pool and not looking at WHMCS! ☀️

Still on 8.1.3. As for the bug being fixed, I won't hold my breath, to be honest. 
Not in the triple digit heat, but upper 90's F, and incredibly humid. I may unpack all old electronic boxed to make a silica gel desiccant  bandolier...

Asked support.
The very first reply was to request full admin access to "have a look". When I declined, they asked me to clarify the conditions I clearly clarified in the ticket opener. They said they'd try it. 

This morning? 
"We could not reproduce it and no one else has reported it, so..."

Unless I allow full access (they have enough, thanks), I'm on my own. Glad everyone isn't being forced to pay more to have better support. 
Oh wait...

1 hour ago, bear said:

Asked support.
The very first reply was to request full admin access to "have a look". When I declined, they asked me to clarify the conditions I clearly clarified in the ticket opener. They said they'd try it. 

This morning? 

Unless I allow full access (they have enough, thanks), I'm on my own. Glad everyone isn't being forced to pay more to have better support. 
Oh wait...

Just ask tomorrow, When the magical "premium" support starts! 😛 I'm curious as to how it's being implented if I'm honest! Have they been holding back all this time ready for their time to shine? Or are the staff being let go in favour of people capable? Or is it just an awful attempt to disguise a money grab? 

Exciting times ahead! Personally I'm looking forward to getting answers to all my questions! I have been compiling a list in anticipation, of which 134 questions about different aspects of whmcs I'm really curious about currently reside - I shall dedicate my spare time to asking them in the time I remain a WHMCS user! If I'm forced to pay more for support, then I will absolutely get my monies worth! I do hope people here stop wasting their time doing the job of whmcs now they will have a fully funded support dept! We can discuss more important things, Like which owned addon is next for the chopping block, Or guessing which company is allowing them affiliate monies for the next release! Truly exciting times! 😉 

Fair point to them, I tested with a dummy account and a contact and it flipped back and forth properly when I removed, etc. Testing something now, a theory that it's been caused by the same email/person being a contact on 2 different accounts with the same email, and at the same org. That's the only condition I haven't tried. More later. 

3 hours ago, bear said:

Asked support.
The very first reply was to request full admin access to "have a look".

we've been here far too long once we can reach the stage of accurately predicting WHMCS responses to situations.

3 hours ago, bear said:

When I declined, they asked me to clarify the conditions I clearly clarified in the ticket opener. They said they'd try it. 

This morning? 

ok, I just tried this on both v8.1.3 and v8.2 and I can reproduce it the same on both - i'm seeing *exactly* what I think you're seeing.

just to double check I got the steps correct...

1. create a ticket using an email address not assigned to the database.... result = marked as guest.
  2. create contact using the name & email address used in above ticket.
  3. repeat step 1 - result the same.. still marked as a guest.

sER9T1l.png

even if I make Christine a Client/User with the same email address and create a ticket, she's still marked as a guest... so it's not doing a client/user/contact search of the db when a ticket is created - I assume it's working off the user being logged in or not... if I login as Christine and make a ticket, then she's an authorised user...

Zyvxyge.png

though she is in reality an owner, so I would have thought she should be marked as such...

evBmgxc.png

how the hell a sub-account/contact can login in v8, when they no longer can - only users/admins login... I have absolutely no idea.

i'd be tempted to mark this as another partially thought-through, badly implemented, poorly documented feature... aka, it's a mess.... or in British parlance, a complete Horlicks!

I've found the cause, and since I don't see it documented, I believe it's a bug. This person was listed as a contact in more than one account, using the same email address. Apparently the system doesn't know what to do with that, and marks them as guest instead of trying to associate services and so on. No warning it's in use and this may happen, either. 

To reproduce:
Account A: add user as contact. Name is irrelevant, but the email is important.
Account B: add the same user, with the same email.
Send test email to the desk, it's marked as guest. Remove one of the users and send a new one, it marks it as a sub account. 

To clarify as per your question, Brian, an existing ticket never changes. I think once it owns the badge that's that and it's not checked for updates.

Edited by bear

Guess what?
It's normal and not a bug, according to support. Rather than warn the admin a duplicate exists that will break things, so they can reach out or fix it, or disallow the user entering a new one with an existing email, it simply fails to connect to any account at all.

They will add it to the docs, though, so we have that going for us. 👍

1 hour ago, bear said:

I've found the cause, and since I don't see it documented, I believe it's a bug. This person was listed as a contact in more than one account, using the same email address.

how would that impact the test I did when the contact is only assigned to one user ?

1 hour ago, bear said:

Send test email to the desk, it's marked as guest. Remove one of the users and send a new one, it marks it as a sub account. 

you opening on the website or piping.... if piping, that's not something I use or have tested to any real degree.

1 hour ago, bear said:

To clarify as per your question, Brian, an existing ticket never changes.

to a certain extent, I don't mind that - you could in theory have the same email address used in a client / user and contact and trying to determine which to use could be an issue.

1 hour ago, bear said:

I think once it owns the badge that's that and it's not checked for updates.

I don't mind that either - the alternative could be updating multiple ticket records after a change.

38 minutes ago, bear said:

Guess what?
It's normal and not a bug, according to support.

or to translate for the normal user, it's a feature! *hurrah*

40 minutes ago, bear said:

They will add it to the docs, though, so we have that going for us. 👍

I bet they didn't give you an ETA. 🙂

you could fix (aka reassign the rank) the badge in the client area if you had to with a hook... actually, you could nuke them entirely with CSS if you had to as I wouldn't expect a user to care in the slightest whether they were an Owner, Sub-Account, Authorised User or whatever rank shown.