mmhospedagem.com.br steals code from others developers

string

I don't usually create threads like this since this probably happens often and is not worth discussing, but the audacity I just experienced is grandious. I was analyzing a problem of a customer who bought a module. His WHMCS was behaving quite strangely. I quickly realized that the problem must be caused by another plugin and so I started to search.

After a short time I found out that the problem is caused by the plugin API Whatsapp from the "developer" mmhospedagem.com.br. So I looked to see what it was doing - the source code was not encrypted - and realized that the module was using code from one of our modules. Our module is encrypted, so they decrypted it and took parts of it.

Now the bizarre thing - they didn't even rename the function names or the MySQL table. They just copied the code 1:1. Probably the module is also otherwise thrown together from code from Stackoverflow 😄

But it goes even bolder. So I looked to see if mmhospedagem once bought the module in question (it's called "Auto Login From Mails") and yes, he did. After the purchase he opened a PayPal dispute and wanted his money back. Well, he lost the case, if I remember correctly.

I don't really know what the thread is supposed to accomplish, I guess I just had to share what I have experienced. If another developer sees the thread here and gets an order from these people, well, your property is in danger i would say 🤦‍♂️

Edited by string

A similar thing happened to me many years ago, but I got revenge and I always do. You can take advantage of their limited coding skills to reverse their hack attempts. It's super funny as few days later they start crying for help on sites like webhostingtalk, lowendtalk, stackoverflow and sometimes even here 🤭

7 hours ago, string said:

After the purchase he opened a PayPal dispute and wanted his money back. Well, he lost the case, if I remember correctly.

Same here 🤪😞 Exact the same action. Worst than all, he rated my product with 1 star at Marketplace. This is what I replied to him "You paid at 20 March 2021 at 17:07:23 GMT+2 . You issue the dispute at PayPal at: 20 March 2021 at 17:36:34 GMT+2. So in just 29 minutes, how is possible to have download the file, you've read the installation instructions, you upload and install it, and finally you found that is not working? Are you the new version of Super Mario, or as I think, just a "smarty" person who think that other people are idiots? Pity that you're also a "developer" as I seen in your site"

And of course he won the claim. He got the code to use as he wants (only a few parts are encoded), and also got his money back.

Don't know if there is a way to open a dispute to PayPal, all together.

6 hours ago, Kian said:

A similar thing happened to me many years ago, but I got revenge and I always do. You can take advantage of their limited coding skills to reverse their hack attempts. It's super funny as few days later they start crying for help on sites like webhostingtalk, lowendtalk, stackoverflow and sometimes even here 🤭

A dozen of Likes and my congratulations. They can understand only this "tongue".

8 hours ago, WHMUp said:

And of course he won the claim. He got the code to use as he wants (only a few parts are encoded), and also got his money back.

You can win 100% of PayPal disputes by saying that your product is a software/service (no shipping involved) hence it's not refundable / covered by PayPal """protection""". In case you still lose the dispute (some PayPal staff members are lazy and don't read all messages), call PayPal by phone and they'll refund your money back.

Here is the thing. PayPal doesn't care about tickets or how lame is the end-user. Don't waste your time attaching screenshots and describing what happened. You only need to say that you are not selling a physical product but a digital one therefore:

• Items not received 🖕 You don't ship a software
  • Item not as described 🖕 Your website surely has many screenshots, descriptions and maybe even a demo
  • Unauthorized transaction 🖕 You can show PayPal full client details and IP

PayPal """protection""" doesn't cover digital products and services. As for me, as soon as I win the dispute I also move the customer to a group that is not allowed to submit tickets or contact requests. The reason is pretty simple. I don't want to waste my time with such people.

8 hours ago, WHMUp said:

A dozen of Likes and my congratulations. They can understand only this "tongue".

Just give them a beatutiful sleep(rand(5,10)) and enjoy the show 🤭

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 10:29 PM, string said:

I guess I just had to share what I have experienced.

I have no issue with our clients who have paid-for modules repurposing / learning-from / expanding what they've paid for - every coder has to start somewhere - although redistributing our code as their own is a licence violation.

Sadly we've had instances of people reselling our modules - doubly annoying when the end-user then starts contacting us for support 😞