Domain Contact Verification email not working

Good morning community,

I'm running WHMCS 8.0, however i'm facing a weird issue:

Each time a client register a new domain (I'm registering domains with Resellerclub) the new order is proccessed as supposed but, the email for verification (mandatory) never arrives to the end customer; all the other emails arrive fine (New account creation, new order placed, new hosting package access info, order paid and so on)...just the eamil asking end customer for verifiying registrar's info is not arriving.

It means that, after some days Resellerclub suspends the domain due the verification is mandatory, If i enter the end customer's client area and under the domains i click over the button "Resend Verification Email" i got the error "Resend Verification Email
An issue was encountered while resending the notification email. Please contact support."

To be clear, what's not working is the feature described here:  https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Contact_Verification

Checking on the Modules Log i found:

REQUEST:

Array
(
    [auth-userid] => ******
    [api-key] => ********************************
    [domain-name] => edited-for-security.net
    [order-id] => edited-for-security
    [posteddata] => auth-userid=******&api-key=********************************&domain-name=tatinom.net&order-id=95933841
)

RESPONSE:

Array
(
    [status] => ERROR
    [message] => Invalid Request. Action Not pending Authorization
)

Of course i contacted resellerclub but they said is a problem related to whmcs.

What can i do to fix this issue?, please help.

Thanks in advance

error-verification-domain-edited.JPG

21 hours ago, vpsuniverse said:

What can i do to fix this issue?, please help.

your best bet might be to open a ticket directly with support.

Did you personalize the email settings (FROM) in Resellerclub to use your domain name?

If yes, check if you have SPF/DMARC policies enabled in your domain name, or they are correct. If the policy is too restricted, Resellerclub will not be able to send that email using yourdomain.com address because they are actually just faking that address. They don't actually have access to your email server as such spam filters and other email servers will reject that email automatically as being forged.

Result? Nobody will receive that email because its not actually coming from your email server, but somewhere else.

Hello Brian, really thanks for your suggestion.

I did it, after opening a ticket directly to support i got:

Looks like this issue is related to a current bug, it is currently in development queue and will be released in a future version. The reference number is MODULE-6859

The problem is that i can not wait for any possible further update (no ETA for this update), after contacting resellerclub directly i got:

Based on the screenshot you have shared, it seems that WHMCS is hitting the incorrect API endpoint to send the RAA verification email.

For resending the RAA verification email, you need to make an API call to this endpoint: test.httpapi.com/api/domains/raa/resend-verification.xml. More details are provided here: https://manage.resellerclub.com/kb/node/2010

The one provided in the screenshot is for sending the IRTP verification email, which is triggered during a contact modification whenever a material change in the registrant's details (such as name, email address or company name) is detected. Please try running the API call provided above to resend the RAA verification email to the registrant.

Now my problem is: I know what the problem is (thanks to the answer from resellerclub) but, i have no idea which file to edit on my WHMCS in order to trigger the right endpoint.. Any idea or suggestion please?

On 3/24/2021 at 8:58 AM, vpsuniverse said:

Thanks yggdrasil,

The problem isn't the client getting the email; the problem is that WHMCS never trigger resellerclub in order to send the email, WHMCS returns an API error.

You need to configure all the settings here:

ResellerClub - WHMCS Documentation

Based on the RC reply, it seems to me that something is misconfigured or wrong in your WHMCS settings. If this was a bug in WHMCS, since many users use that module, you would see complaints all over this community.

Now, if you are 100% sure all your ResellerClub API module settings are correct, I'm not completely discarding that it could be a WHMCS software issue. This could be true if you are running the latest version or a very old one. If that is the case, there is nothing anyone can do to help you but WHMCS since the modules are encoded and nobody can fix or change the code.

First, check that documentation link and make sure your settings are correct, triple check. If they are, your only option is opening a support ticket with WHMCS.

What WHMCS are you running by the way? Because Resellerclub did change their API before. Also, at least on my side, the verification email is alread automatically send by Resellerclub when you register a new customer. There is no need to trigger it from WHMCS side, its already done automatically when registering the domain.

Edited by yggdrasil

On 24/03/2021 at 12:56, vpsuniverse said:

The problem is that i can not wait for any possible further update (no ETA for this update)

the lack of an ETA is sadly common - to be fair, the support person replying to the ticket will likely have little idea of the ETA themselves.... chances are that it's either going to be hotfixed (unlikely - but means it could be posted at any time without warning), or more likely it's going to have to wait until v8.2 (assuming there isn't a v8.1.4 maintenance release) - if it's being held back for the beta, and even if the public beta testing started tomorrow, I wouldn't expect it to go GA until May.... whereas much like a hotfix, a maintenance release can be issued at any time with no prior warning.

none of which gets you any further forward - the solution could appear in the next 5 minutes, or it could be months away.

On 24/03/2021 at 12:56, vpsuniverse said:

Now my problem is: I know what the problem is (thanks to the answer from resellerclub) but, i have no idea which file to edit on my WHMCS in order to trigger the right endpoint.. Any idea or suggestion please?

it might be worth contacting Marco @imaticon from ResellerClubMods (the developer of the ResellerClub Tools addon module)... I don't think the Tools addon covers this issue, but he'll be very familiar with the RC API.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, hi Brian!

Yeah, upgraded to 8.1.4 -- and the Email Verification saga continues (since 7.1 if i remember).

@vpsuniverse -- I can't help but think that the way the verification email is triggered in WHMCS generally may be your issue.

On a new client account, the first Email Verification email goes out just fine for me.  Then followed by a Welcome email, and both the reset password and the password has been reset emails also go out when requested.  All good there.

But changing the email address subsequently, either in the ClientArea OR in Admin, does not issue the Email Verification again.    This is despite the log clearly showing that the email has been changed.   Nothing triggers.

Can't imagine why, goes out first time like a charm.    Basically, one the email is verified once, there is ZERO chance to send another. 

I've done the voodoo things like ticking and unticking the Verify Email box in Settings.   No clues.   All other system and custom emails just fine, no smarty issues either that I can tell.

Also, on changing email address for the account in either place, the "Resend Email" button does not appear anywhere. 

We would really like to have the security -- am I missing something?

Thanks,

David

20 hours ago, HancoEuropa said:

Yeah, upgraded to 8.1.4

impressive - as I think the latest version is still v8.1.3 🙂

22 hours ago, HancoEuropa said:

But changing the email address subsequently, either in the ClientArea OR in Admin, does not issue the Email Verification again.    This is despite the log clearly showing that the email has been changed.   Nothing triggers.

I think the real test would be to see what happens when using a default template, e.g Six or 21... using Six in the client area, i'm not seeing the issue.... it's not sending when the email is changed in teh admin area, but that might well be intended behaviour.

23 hours ago, HancoEuropa said:

Also, on changing email address for the account in either place, the "Resend Email" button does not appear anywhere. 

that definitely implies template to me.... is your custom WordPress theme and/or Bridge up to date ?

16 hours ago, brian! said:

I think the real test would be to see what happens when using a default template, e.g Six or 21... using Six in the client area, i'm not seeing the issue.... it's not sending when the email is changed in teh admin area, but that might well be intended behaviour.

I did switch to six, and also set six in the WHMCS-Bridge in WP -- zero change in behaviour.   

16 hours ago, brian! said:
On 17/04/2021 at 6:37 PM, HancoEuropa said:

that definitely implies template to me.... is your custom WordPress theme and/or Bridge up to date ?

Point is that the "Verify Email  / Resend Email" button in clientarea DOES appear just fine for new, unverified account.   Same for Admin area -- Resend Email Verification button appears perfectly -- again, only the FIRST time.    So template capable of showing it at least.    Just that template is not being fed the right $vars or something second time around. 

Once verified, never again. 

I might need to do a clients table update with a hook on clientarea update when email changed, to reset $clients->email_verified to zero.    Trick is storing previous value to compare on profile update.

And yes, 8.1.3 -- had a buddyboss app release number of 1.0.4 in my head i think.

Thanks so much, your insights are always helpful Brian!

David

Well, this was not what I'd expected 🙃

Thank you for contacting WHMCS Support about your email verification question.

After discussing this issue with my colleagues I can confirm that this is normal. Since the upgrade of version 8.0, The system is designed in such a way that the email on the profile tab in the client area is an account email address and does not need verifying, and changing this email address will not trigger the verification action.

Should you wish to change and verify a customer's email address you can do this by visiting the Users tab on the client page and clicking "manage" for the individual client. Changing the client email address here will then trigger a new verification email to be sent.

This is because the user information is what is logged in with and can be verified. An account could have an email address not associated with any user however, still used to receive email updates from the system.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

• 1 month later...

Colleague noted last week this also is not happening on the new client registration form during the check-out process.   Colleague is in sales and gets nervous when e-mails are not verified. 

Might try to find a dreaded Marketplace plug-in or something ...

• 2 weeks later...