How to become a module developer?

ramf

Hi,
How are you all?

I'm using WHMCS for a very long time (since 2012) - during this time I learned a lot about WHMCS.
I'm very good at QA - and I've found and reported lots of bugs over the years.
I never learned QA - but I'm very methodical and analytical person.

I had some experience over the years with paying for custom developments of modules by several vendors, such as modulesgarden and whmcsservices, But although I appreciate the efforts and enjoy using the modules they created for me, in most cases the service level was not to my expectation and the costs was way higher than I can pay.  
I know and appreciate the fact that such custom developments cost money and that it's really hard work -  so I'm not complaining. 

Also since the feature requests are very very slow way to push thing though (if it's a way at all) - I thinks it's time for me to try and start doing stuff on my own - I want to learn how to create modules that will connect WHMCS to other platforms (such as moodle, my autoresponder system etc) , I want to be able to change the look of my WHMCS, I want to change some aspects of WHMCS and to create modules that will help change WHMCS so it will be more suited to my business.

I guess I need to learn lots of things in order to do so - PHP, HTML, CSS, MySql, javascript etc.

And this is where I need your help and advise...

1. Since I'm less than newbie - What should I learn and in what order to learn it?

2. Where should I learn it? codecademy? udemy? Coursera? Please note that I prefer a structured step by step course.

3. Can you please recommend specific courses I should take?

I know it's time consuming and it's not an easy rode to take - but I want to do it and hopefully can do it so in the end I will be able to create modules by myself.

Can someone please help me figure out the road I should take in order to succeed?  

Regards,
Ram

• 2 weeks later...

regards #1.  HTML then CSS.   Javascript then PHP ( most of your module code will be PHP).  MYSQL at some point in tandem with PHP I guess.

regards #2,3  I really can't say, I've been removed from this for too long.  I have heard from others that they really found codeacademny really useful.

Regarding module development a good place to start is with existing modules. 

Edited by jimlongo

Hi, @jimlongo and @pRieStaKos

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

I will try to use codecademy to learn HTML then CSS then Javascript and in the end PHP and MYSQL.
I guess that along the way I'll learn about Smarty, Bootstrap and Laravel (Laravel sound very interesting).

@jimlongo - can you please explain what did you mean there: 

3 hours ago, jimlongo said:

Regarding module development a good place to start is with existing modules. 

Any way If you can think of something else that can help me in my path to become a module developer - I'll really appreciate it. 

Thanks!!

• 2 years later...