OpenSRS registrar sync for domains

JonTheWong

Is anyone still interested in pulling data from OpenSRS?

I've been with them years now and always hated how they provided me with an excel sheet for all their domains and decided to write some code to pull all their data and push it to WHMCS.

I've tackled this project twice, trying to merge all their tables and data in excel to find that not all of it was uniform and spent days dealing with regex to filter out broken data.

With WHMCS in version 7.10.0, it offers the ability to update domains programmatically, and I figured why not tackle this project ..again.

As of right now, I'm able to check all 550+ domains for a price, get their grace periods, redemption periods, whois privacy and EPP requirements,

I've done the math for stripe/cc gateway fees and added a feature for markup. So when it posts to WHMCS it will be the selling price and not your reseller price.

## Current limitations

Price is based on the minimum year. If the domain supports 1 to 10, we take the lowest number in this case 1. Some domains require 2 years. So we take 2.

No checking for domain requirements; some have delays in registration, and some have special requirements. AKA. .aero requires an ID and password from the registry. 

No support for "Registry Premiums."

Requires a currency code of USD, this will be the base value entered, WHMCS should update the price based on these entries.

## What I'm asking the community

Do you, as an OpenSRS reseller, have any requirements? What would you like to see added?

I'm finishing up the logic for OpenSRS and will finish the WHMCS side of things next week.

Figured I'd post about it and see if I missed something that might be useful.

## Comments
For me, this is a significant win in managing my domains without having to update each entry manually. It allows me to push a portfolio of over 500 choices.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Openers is expensive, their control panel is buggy, WHMCS module is out of date, support service is horrible...

I'm managing with them few dozens of domains (were few thousands years ago), and I hope to be able in a short time to dismiss any business with them.

So, given my experience, why are you looking for a way to do business with them? What's the plus you can see in them and that I don't know?

3 hours ago, Remitur said:

Openers is expensive, their control panel is buggy, WHMCS module is out of date, support service is horrible...

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

3 hours ago, Remitur said:

I'm managing with them few dozens of domains (were few thousands years ago), and I hope to be able in a short time to dismiss any business with them.

yep - i'm down to just two of mine now - they're only still there because they don't expire until 2025 and so there's little point in moving them.

$12 for a .com ? if you spend $100k a year with them, the price drops to $9 - I could probably name a handful of registrars where you could get cheaper pricing than that without having to commit to such spends.

they can be useful if you need to deal with register a specific obscure ccTLD in a limited way, but for day-to-day domains, as Remitur says, they are expensive.