SEO friendly URLS

jeebee123

5 minutes ago, jeebee123 said:

Thats very bad for SEO, and also not user-friendly.

This is absolutely false.

Search engines don't give a damn about what file extension you use. It could be .phtml, .php, .html, .asp or nothing at all. Ranking-wise it will be the same exact thing. Same goes for IDs in URL like "/news/10/welcome". Some "SEO experts" keep saying that this is bad 😒 The reality is that search engines still don't care about the "10".

As if it wasn't enough, people keep having this weird fetish for SEO friendly URLs as if they're made of pure gold capable of ranking you 1st on Google. SEO friendly URLs are a MINOR ranking factor. "Minor" not "Most important". That being said, I don't see how file extension and/or ID in the URL can be "very bad" considering that SEO URL are still a minor ranking factor. There are a lot other things where WHMCS should be improved from an SEO perspective and frankly SEO URLs are the least important.

8 minutes ago, Kian said:

This is absolutely false.

Search engines don't give a damn about what file extension you use. It could be .phtml, .php, .html, .asp or nothing at all. Ranking-wise it will be the same exact thing. Same goes for IDs in URL like "/news/10/welcome". Some "SEO experts" keep saying that this is bad 😒 The reality is that search engines still don't care about the "10".

As if it wasn't enough, people keep having this weird fetish for SEO friendly URLs as if they're made of pure gold capable of ranking you 1st on Google. SEO friendly URLs are a MINOR ranking factor. "Minor" not "Most important". That being said, I don't see how file extension and/or ID in the URL can be "very bad" considering that SEO URL are still a minor ranking factor. There are a lot other things where WHMCS should be improved from an SEO perspective and frankly SEO URLs are the least important.

Believe me. I've seen many cases that moving on from a domain.com/pagename.php to a full domain.com/pagename URL did affect the organic search results in a way that it is worth for switching.

Then still... MINOR is very important in SEO. Because there are many MINOR things you can do for SEO, but if you don't do them at all, you gues..

Thereby.. if a customer clicks on the register domain page and shares the link, you get domain.com/cart.php?a=add&domain=register

C'mmon man, thats not professional at all. At least, if we compare it to our competitors.

Edited by jeebee123

Proof or it didn't happen. SEO is not exact science. I don't see any reliable source that proves that removing file extension lead to significant benefit in rankings. And if you've seen a slight improvement maybe there was some "Hosting day" or "Cloud fest" somewhere on the planet leading to more impressions and clicks. I mean if I compare the CTR of every monday during the last 16 months, I can't find two records that look exactly the same.

As for the rest, the to-do list of WHMCS for SEO is very long. Why should we start with the change that leads to minor (I'd say laughable) results?

Edited by Kian

3 minutes ago, Kian said:

Proof or it didn't happen. SEO is not exact science. I don't see any reliable source that proves that removing file extension lead to significant benefit in rankings. And if you've seen a slight improvement maybe there was some "Hosting day" or "Cloud fest" somewhere on the planet leading to more impressions and clicks. I mean if I compare the CTR of every monday during the last 16 months, I can't find two records that look exactly the same.

Okay. This is a disucssion we had in 2007. All my search results are topics from 2007 or 2008. It is rediculous that WHMCS doesn't have pretty links (yet) customers can share.

It's not professional.

"Hey, on what page can I transfer my domain?"

"Oh, easy. You can transfer your domain on domain.com/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer "

2 hours ago, jeebee123 said:

Okay. This is a disucssion we had in 2007. All my search results are topics from 2007 or 2008. It is rediculous that WHMCS doesn't have pretty links (yet) customers can share.

It's not professional.

"Oh, easy. You can transfer your domain on domain.com/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer "

There is nothing stopping you from creating a redirect page manually or with web server rules such as:

example.com/transfer

Which you then automatically redirect to:

domain.com/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer

Kian is right.

Nice URL's have no effect on SEO today. In fact, SEO is nothing but gimmicks and snake oil. You don't get better ranking based on how your URL looks, if that were the case, it would be extremely easy to cheat Google. I see horrible URL's get better results than sites with exceptionally clean URL's, the fact is that Google and other search engine give almost no priority to how your URL looks in 2020. Yes, it has some SEO effect, but it adds like 0.01 points from 100. Its more an easy navigation and visually reason people want this. Most people make a huge fuzz about this but if they knew how negligible effect it has on your site indexing, they would not even bother with this. Also, what makes you think your site will rank higher when thousands of other WHMCS sites would have the same URL structure as yours? It's not as it will be unique to your site, all people using WHMCS would have the same looking URL's which means Google would give them even less ranking because whatever WHMCS implements it will be boxed and you will not be able to change or customize them.

2 hours ago, jeebee123 said:

This is the exact reason it needs to be implemented. Try putting that link in an email or social media post or get on the phone and spell it all out. The alternative is to say 'click here, then click here, etc' to someone. It's all about convenience to the customer.

I know that the chance of ranking for an order form page or domain lookup page is very low.

2 hours ago, yggdrasil said:

There is nothing stopping you from creating a redirect page manually or with web server rules such as:

example.com/transfer

Which you then automatically redirect to:

domain.com/cart.php?a=add&domain=transfer

Kian is right.

Nice URL's have no effect on SEO today. In fact, SEO is nothing but gimmicks and snake oil. You don't get better ranking based on how your URL looks, if that were the case, it would be extremely easy to cheat Google. I see horrible URL's get better results than sites with exceptionally clean URL's, the fact is that Google and other search engine give almost no priority to how your URL looks in 2020. Yes, it has some SEO effect, but it adds like 0.01 points from 100. Its more an easy navigation and visually reason people want this. Most people make a huge fuzz about this but if they knew how negligible effect it has on your site indexing, they would not even bother with this. Also, what makes you think your site will rank higher when thousands of other WHMCS sites would have the same URL structure as yours? It's not as it will be unique to your site, all people using WHMCS would have the same looking URL's which means Google would give them even less ranking because whatever WHMCS implements it will be boxed and you will not be able to change or customize them.

This is not true..

Your URL structure does affect rankings in Google.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/technical-seo/url-structure/

It's not just the ranking, but also it just looks bad. A redirect, common. It's 2020.

We were talking about SEO and not user-experience. Of course /hosting is better than /cart.php?gid=1 for usability but from an SEO perspective the improvement is laughable.

58 minutes ago, jeebee123 said:

- page titles
- page description
- opengraph

Exactly. And there are MANY more things on the list but I won't name any. It's not rocket science 😛 but it requires a lot of work.

14 hours ago, EvolveWebHosting said:

This is the exact reason it needs to be implemented. Try putting that link in an email or social media post or get on the phone and spell it all out. The alternative is to say 'click here, then click here, etc' to someone. It's all about convenience to the customer.

I know that the chance of ranking for an order form page or domain lookup page is very low.

See my reply above, that is easily solvable. Just create short URL's that redirect to the long ones and use those in emails, phone, or print.

12 hours ago, jeebee123 said:

This is not true..

Your URL structure does affect rankings in Google.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/technical-seo/url-structure/

It's not just the ranking, but also it just looks bad. A redirect, common. It's 2020.

What part is not true? You linked to a site selling SEO services...

The URL structure has some weight for Google but as I said it's so tiny its almost irrelevant. Just by changing the URL's in your site will not increase your search engine results even in one position. Let me make one example, your page loading speed has more influence than URL's yet people make their pages heavy and don't care. Errors in your code will also give it negativity score and Google also consider quality...I could mention hundreds of different things a search engine considers, all of them more important than URL's.

People think SEO is about how links look and link backs. There is more to it.

The ranking benefit is tiny.