Client Status Update - The Same Client, Every Day

I'm using WHMCS 7.10.1.

Every day since I've upgraded to 7.10, I've received the cron daily email showing all tasks completed successfully. The email always includes "Client Status Update 1 Completed." If I go into Utilities -> System -> Automation Status, it, too, shows that cron is running successfully.  If I click the detail for the single Client Status Update, it's always the same client. Every day. I've checked his account and it is active, with a valid credit card on file.  He has one product and one domain, both show they are active and not due for renewal until 5/13/2020 and 01/03/2021, respectively.  I don't see any errors in the Activity Log.

It seems like whatever flag is set to tell WHMCS that it needs to update this particular client is stuck, unless there is some reason for repeating the status update daily that I'm unaware of. I tried manually setting the client's status to "active," but it made no difference.

This doesn't seem to be doing any harm, but it is annoying. Is there a way to fix it?

20 hours ago, linux4me said:

It seems like whatever flag is set to tell WHMCS that it needs to update this particular client is stuck, unless there is some reason for repeating the status update daily that I'm unaware of. I tried manually setting the client's status to "active," but it made no difference.

have you got the Client Status Update feature enabled in the Automation Settings (bottom of the page) ?  disabling that should prevent this client's status from being updated by the cron... though from what you describe, I don't think it should be changing the status.

2 hours ago, brian! said:

have you got the Client Status Update feature enabled in the Automation Settings (bottom of the page) ?  disabling that should prevent this client's status from being updated by the cron... though from what you describe, I don't think it should be changing the status.

I do have Client Status Update set to "Change client status based on active/inactive products," which is what I want it to be doing; however, it seems to think it needs to update that particular client every day though there is no need, as you say. Both his product and his domain are active, and that hasn't changed in some time.

19 hours ago, linux4me said:

I do have Client Status Update set to "Change client status based on active/inactive products," which is what I want it to be doing; however, it seems to think it needs to update that particular client every day though there is no need, as you say. Both his product and his domain are active, and that hasn't changed in some time.

there is no third-party module active that could be causing this ?

i'd still be tempted to disable CSU for a day (e.g before the daily cron runs) to see if it is the cause of the issue.

44 minutes ago, brian! said:

there is no third-party module active that could be causing this ?

i'd still be tempted to disable CSU for a day (e.g before the daily cron runs) to see if it is the cause of the issue.

The only modules I have active are Stripe and eNom, and no third-party modules.

I disabled CSU today, and I'll see what happens tomorrow and post back.

12 hours ago, WHMCS ChrisD said:

Just making sure @linux4me the products are set to active, not transferred away, terminated, cancelled or similar?  Are any other clients getting changes?

Hi @WHMCS ChrisD Yes, the product and domain this client has are both active, not transferred, terminated, or canceled. No other clients have had recent changes.

Disabling CSU yesterday prevented any client status updates from being listed in today's Cron Activity email, and Automation Status shows "0" for Client Status Updates.

I re-enabled "Change client status based on active/inactive products" today, and I'll see what happens with CSU tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, linux4me said:

Disabling CSU yesterday prevented any client status updates from being listed in today's Cron Activity email, and Automation Status shows "0" for Client Status Updates.

that at least indicates that its something the core program is doing - confirmation will occur tomorrow if WHMCS changes the status again.

14 hours ago, linux4me said:

It will be interesting to see what happens. I'll let you know tomorrow.

which CSU setting are you using - the second for active/inactive products, or the third which also requires them to login every 3 months ?

7 hours ago, brian! said:

which CSU setting are you using - the second for active/inactive products, or the third which also requires them to login every 3 months ?

I'm using the second one, "Change client status based on active/inactive products."

I re-enabled it yesterday, and today the CSU is back to showing "1" for that same client. It seems like there's got to be a flag set in the database somewhere that wasn't updated at some point.

6 minutes ago, brian! said:

it's probably failing the SQL queries to determine if they're active for some reason.... I don't support there is a product addon with the product that isn't active ?

That's a good thought, but no, that particular client has no add-ons at all listed.

I enabled SQL debugging to see if I can catch any failed queries tomorrow when the CSU executes. Today, the activity log still shows "Automated Task: Starting Client Status Update" and no error messages.

17 hours ago, linux4me said:

I enabled SQL debugging to see if I can catch any failed queries tomorrow when the CSU executes. Today, the activity log still shows "Automated Task: Starting Client Status Update" and no error messages.

it's not that the queries will be causing errors (they shouldn't be) or failing - it's just that one of them is giving a result that doesn't tally with what you're seeing (e.g true when you think it should be false).

3 hours ago, brian! said:

it's not that the queries will be causing errors (they shouldn't be) or failing - it's just that one of them is giving a result that doesn't tally with what you're seeing (e.g true when you think it should be false).

Oh, I see what you're saying. You're right, there are no SQL errors--or any others--in the error logs this morning.

I looked through the database tables, and I wasn't able to find where this is coming from. I was hoping for a simple flag in the product or clients tables, but I didn't see one.

1 hour ago, linux4me said:

I looked through the database tables, and I wasn't able to find where this is coming from. I was hoping for a simple flag in the product or clients tables, but I didn't see one.

it would be running queries on multiple tables, probably hosting,domains and addons and checking if there are any active - for some reason, it's not finding what you're seeing.... I could hazard an educated guess at what those queries will be, but I suspect only Support could tell you definitively.

• WHMCS Technical Analyst II

Hello @linux4me,

I reported an issue to our development team the other day, which was to resolve an issue in 7.10, where the AutoClientStatusSync cron task was not updating clients to Active status where it should be. It sounds like the issue you are having could relate to this, the case for this issue is CORE-14548. 

If you want to open a ticket and PM me the ID, I’d be happy to review this for you with the view to gathering some data from your database regarding the client that is affected and see if it does relate to that case, or whether the results being seen are unexpected and go from there.

15 hours ago, linux4me said:

I get my WHMCS license through my hosting company, so I don't believe I can submit a ticket directly to WHMCS, can I?

you can get support via the Reseller Support path (the second option) - no need to login...

5 hours ago, brian! said:

you can get support via the Reseller Support path (the second option) - no need to login...

I didn't realize I could do that. I've opened a ticket and PM'd you with the ID. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...