Adding a menu item under "Logs"?

namhost

I created my own module whereby admins must be able to enable to module and configure it, but not necessarily other staff. So I left most of the config on the page where you enable the module. And only the parts that staff should see is on the page actual module page. However, I also want a page where logs can be viewed. But I also only want admins to see this. So adding it on the module page itself won't work, as staff can see that. Instead, I'm thinking I can just add a menu item on Utilities --> Logs --> My Log.  Does anyone know how to add a page to this menu? is it possible? 

4 hours ago, namhost said:

But I also only want admins to see this. So adding it on the module page itself won't work, as staff can see that.

The easiest way would be to simply check which role the admin has and then show the log page or not.

4 hours ago, namhost said:

I'm thinking I can just add a menu item on Utilities --> Logs --> My Log.  Does anyone know how to add a page to this menu? is it possible? 

You can add the menu entry over javascript, or edit the admin template. As far i know, there is no other way to add a menu entry.
I would use javascript as it will not require changes on WHMCS updates.

personally, I think i'd just edit the menu.tpl template - assuming there's no need for a fourth maintenance release, it's possible v7.8.3 will be the last GA release of this year next week.

I would hope they're not going to run straight into another beta period, so then you're into the realms of v7.9 or v8 betas early next year... and if it's v8, who knows what changes will occur in terms of admin / client templates... so they'd be no guarantees that any JS solution would work in the next version.

Edited by brian!

56 minutes ago, brian! said:

and if it's v8, who knows what changes will occur in terms of admin / client templates... so they'd be no guarantees that any JS solution would work in the next version.

Sometimes looks like v8 could has several changes 😣 and all we have been done could no longer serves. Normally when WHMCS announces news comming update I get happy, considering new improvements are coming, new future, etc, etc...

I am using WHMCS for almost 3 years (7.3 I guess), and did not see big changes on ADMIN or CLIENT AREA, it all look same during all that time...six still the same, admin blend still same... Why we should expect WHMCS to make changes in future version... I guess you are trying to say usually on changes like v5 v6 v7 v8 could has more changes comparing to vx.1 vx.2 etc. Anyway I did not see how WHMCS looks like on v5 v6...if anyone has print would like to see it.

I have customize my front end template to be my own...so I should be afraid since it uses template from 7.8.2 ? when V8 comes it could cause me issues? or need to do all customization's again or even start from scratch?

Edited by zitu4life

9 minutes ago, zitu4life said:

am using WHMCS for almost 3 years (7.3 I guess), and did not see big changes on ADMIN or CLIENT AREA, it all look same during all that time...six still the same, admin blend still same...

i've been using Blend since 2013, and apart from a CSS menu styling change last year I think, there's very little difference in terms of it's look - homepage widgets have visually changed a little I suppose, and can now be moved - but Lara could do that years ago.

12 minutes ago, zitu4life said:

Why we should expect WHMCS to make changes in future version...

I think it's more in hope than expectation.

17 minutes ago, zitu4life said:

I guess you are trying to say usually on changes like v5 v6 v7 v8 could has more changes comparing to vx.1 vx.2 etc.

in WHMCS eyes, they're both considered major updates - and anything can be added to a major update, but rarely are radically new features launched in a minor (maintenance) update.

my hope has always been that v8 would be something that would make me go "wow".... my fear is that it's just going to be v7.8 + hosting renewal on demand and the odd feature that no user has asked for and will be compulsory... time will tell.

32 minutes ago, zitu4life said:

Anyway I did not see how WHMCS looks like on v5 v6...if anyone has print would like to see it.

v6 would be fairly similar to v7, as that introduced the "Six" template back in 2015 (4+ years ago)...

JpftCWa.png

as you can see from the screenshots below, it was very different to what came before in v5...

86B1dEA.png

q0cqLWw.png

44 minutes ago, zitu4life said:

I have customize my front end template to be my own...so I should be afraid since it uses template from 7.8.2 ?

afraid? no; aware that there will definitely be changes that could impact your current template, yes.... golden rule is to test, test, test... and test again, before updating.

45 minutes ago, zitu4life said:

when V8 comes it could cause me issues?

absolutely, yes - and if it doesn't, then it's not much of an update on WHMCS' part.

46 minutes ago, zitu4life said:

or need to do all customization's again or even start from scratch? 

a definitive answer to that, nobody can give you - because nobody, and I assume WHMCS themselves would be included in that camp, will *know* what is going to be in the next release, or how exactly they're going to do it.

there are no guarantees that any solution (hook, Smarty or CSS) that i've posted previously will work 100% in a new release... it probably will, but it depends how radical WHMCS intend to be with an update... the point being that every customisation you add to WHMCS, makes updating more involved and complicated.

if you go out and buy a commercial theme today, again there is no guarantee that it will work with a new major release.. in fact, almost certainly it won't work 100% - which is why i've always said, when anyone asks, when choosing a template, try to ensure (as best you can) that the developers are going to be around for a while - because the theme needs to be kept updated, and if the developer disappears, then it's down to you to fix those issues (or pay someone to do it for you).

personally, I would hope that one of new features in v8 will be a new orderform template - because standard_cart (and the comparison/slider) templates are almost as old as Six and lack features that new orderform templates should definitely have... i'd also expect Boxes & Modern to be finally removed.

Wow, now I see changes, Appreciate that! now I realized how WHMCS has grow since beginning. I think V8 will be like as v7.8+ because looks like WHMCS are working very hard on v7.8 due some sensitive improvements that they decide to bring all together in 7.8, due to that, I think they will take some break and only comes with few things. they also are working on project managements improvements that has lot of future requests, they also are working on new iphone and android app from scratch...actually I guess they promise new cellphone app this year...lot of work...

Yes, I decide to go across and use a front-end template from marketplace not encrypted so even if developer disappear I still have options to hire others to fix it, but I am learning everyday...perhaps in next 2 3 years I could be able to learn better how to customize client area to look like basic front-end, so I will be my own backup developer, anyway I do not have problem on hire people for doing job I can not do alone, others people already usually hire me or my company for things they do not know hot to do too...So it is fair enough 😊