Changing Price of ID Protection

wizzy420

No worries.

Incidentally, if you think $5 is expensive for it, you should talk to Enom resellers who are charged $7 so we couldn't afford to reduce it to $5.

I know others provide it FOC, but Enom resellers like myself pay more than your steep $5 :roll:

Well, I posted to general discussion asking what people are finding customers happy with paying, but it got deleted as a double post, even though the topic was different from my question here.

So I'll restate the question that was in my other post.

Do people find that customers are happy paying $5 for ID Protection? Or do you sell more with a lower price, like $2.99 a year?

Of course you are going to sell more at a lower price!

It would mean that we lost $4 for every sale though.

I guess that's the question. If people happily pay $5, and 90%+ sign up, then I'm happy charging $5. If 10% of people sign up at $5, but 90% at $2.99, I would rather charge $2.99.

Ss eNom charges $7, but as far as DirectI goes, the page says "Free WHOIS Privacy Protection on All Domains"

Is this different from ID Protection ??

scurrell,

I think his question is a genuine one if (as I suspect) he is able to obtain ID Protection free of charge.

Sell 10 @ $2.99 or 6 @ $5 - that's what Steve wants to know.

Thats his scale, whats yours?

Sell 10 @ $7.99 or 4 @ $19.99 ?

Si

(previous post from wizzy420 overlapped)

Well, it's more like I would rather sell 10 @ 2.99 ($29) than 2 @ $5 ($10) :)

But, if everyone here says "hey, no probs selling at $5 (or $7)" then I would rather

sell 10 @ $5 ($50)

Though I would be happy selling for less and getting the same overall income, if it meant more people could have it. I might not benefit in that case, but it would be better for the world in general.

My thoughts? Its only a matter of time before the market makes ID Protection an inclusive option in the price of domain names. Why optional?

Some customers will want transparency in who owns domain names and it known publicly, while most others won't.

We currently charge a handsome price for it.....almost $20 per year, and get it. But we've already priced our domains to absorb the cost so that we can move to offering it free of charge when the time comes.

Si

IMHO "id protection" is just another * by the registries to make money.

The whole point of whois is to be able to determine the owner of a domain, you have a domain, then you have your "ownership" of it in the public domain in exactly the same way as with land etc.

What the registries *really* shoudl be doing is dealing with the issues of data-mining of the whois information and coming down hard on the sleaze-balls that do it.

IMHO "id protection" is just another * by the registries to make money.

The whole point of whois is to be able to determine the owner of a domain, you have a domain, then you have your "ownership" of it in the public domain in exactly the same way as with land etc.

What the registries *really* shoudl be doing is dealing with the issues of data-mining of the whois information and coming down hard on the sleaze-balls that do it.

Agreed 100%! I have always felt it was wrong to hide the ownership of a domain and that it's sole invention was for another income avenue for registrars.

As a side note, when I choose to do business with someone, one of the things I look for is publicly available contact info, both on the site and on the domain registration. If one or the other is obscured, they go to the bottom of my list, no exceptions.

Absolutely.

I've seen hosts do it (Aplus for one), other registrars (DROA, Netsol and others) and those with SEO strategies or "offshore development" to sell. Getting these to stop would be great.

And the thing about DirectI is their "protection" is really scary looking:

Administrative Contact:

PrivacyProtect.org

Domain Admin (contact@privacyprotect.org)

P.O. Box 97

All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org

Moergestel

null,5066 ZH

NL

Tel. +45.36946676

I look at that and all sorts of alarms start going off. Out of country. What the heck is "Moergestel, null,5006 ZH NL"

+45 country code?

Well, I'm not asking, but if I were just being a random person, looking up whois to figure out if someone is for real, I would see that and *really* be thinking twice and then three times.

Privacy Protect really is a bit of a *, after all with the Yellow Pages online it's pretty straight forward to find most people's addresses anyway!

Simply by typing an American phone number into Google you can find their name, address and a map to their house! There's really no point, and we literally only have a handful of customers who go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

For those saying, what's the point of privacy protection, you gotta be kidding! :)

The point is to stop our customers receiving paper (physical) mail from sleazeballs trying to steal their domain names by getting them to fill out and return bogus invoices. Real customers get these all the time, and they're convincing enough that a small percentage of customers fill them out and return them without thinking!

For those saying, what's the point of privacy protection, you gotta be kidding! :)

The point is to stop our customers receiving paper (physical) mail from sleazeballs trying to steal their domain names by getting them to fill out and return bogus invoices. Real customers get these all the time, and they're convincing enough that a small percentage of customers fill them out and return them without thinking!

I think most can see the point of it (or at least having the choice). What is annoying is that the registrars charge more than the price of registering a domain for it.

I think most can see the point of it (or at least having the choice). What is annoying is that the registrars charge more than the price of registering a domain for it.
There were 3 posts above questioning the point of it all ... while I can see their point (something like, for instance: "real businesses shouldn't need to be anonymous"), it just doesn't apply to all businesses. For instance, the women's shelter; or the blog domain for the movie critic who wishes to remain anonymous.

The point is to stop our customers receiving paper (physical) mail from sleazeballs trying to steal their domain names by getting them to fill out and return bogus invoices

As soon as these scumbags realise that under ICANN rules the regsitrars have to provide the real details in a readable format to ICANN who make it available to other registrars, they'll just pay the $40k, join ICANN and access all the "privacy protected" registrants anyway - so its a delaying tactic rather than a fix - a real solution would be capital punishiment for the manglement of Domain regsitry of America :D