How badly will moving my WHMCS install affect its operation? (I want to change the url from mysite/hosting to hosting.mysite)

Hosting is mainly a side thing for my business as my primary focus is on creative media.

My top level domain has remained open for me to have a front for my creative services, while I link the whmcs section to hosted customers via mysite/hosting. 

I originally installed WHMCS in a /hosting folder and have run it this way ever since, however, I would prefer to change the domain to hosting.mysite(.com) but I'm afraid of how much of the site would be disrupted in terms of all its automation features, from invoices, to automatic payments, to the emails. 

If I'm keeping the install on the same cpanel account and same domain, but simply moving it from a /hosting (public html folder) to a root sub domain, is it as simple as doing so then updating the url in the general  admin settings? or will it destroy the reoccurring payment tokens and automated emails/invoices?

Thanks for your help!

A few though to consider when changing:

• Cron job needs to be updated to the new location
  • WHMCS license needs to be reissued
  • Any licensed modules need to be reissued
  • Paypal IPN needs to be updated if used
  • Redirect from /hosting to sub domain should be setup
  • Any custom items that give absolute paths like the custom folders
  • Templates that have hard coded URLs need to be updated

That should cover most items.  The major thing is the cron job path as without that automation will stop. 

The change should not affect payment tokens and email templates will use the system url setting once you update that. 

Lastly don't forget to create an .htaccess rule to redirect 301 all visitors from page X (old domain) to page Y (new one) otherwise you will disappear from Search Engines for a while losing all indexed pages. In case you use a sitemap don't forget to update links and to use the new path on Google Console, Bing Webmaster Tools etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 8:07 PM, steven99 said:

A few though to consider when changing:

• Cron job needs to be updated to the new location
  • WHMCS license needs to be reissued
  • Any licensed modules need to be reissued
  • Paypal IPN needs to be updated if used
  • Redirect from /hosting to sub domain should be setup
  • Any custom items that give absolute paths like the custom folders
  • Templates that have hard coded URLs need to be updated

That should cover most items.  The major thing is the cron job path as without that automation will stop. 

The change should not affect payment tokens and email templates will use the system url setting once you update that. 

On 6/26/2019 at 12:13 AM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

@masterolive Moving WHMCS is pretty straight forward most of the steps have been mentioned by Steven99 and we have a guide at https://docs.whmcs.com/Licensing#Moving_WHMCS

On 6/26/2019 at 11:45 AM, Kian said:

Lastly don't forget to create an .htaccess rule to redirect 301 all visitors from page X (old domain) to page Y (new one) otherwise you will disappear from Search Engines for a while losing all indexed pages. In case you use a sitemap don't forget to update links and to use the new path on Google Console, Bing Webmaster Tools etc.

Thank you all for the help, I was able to get assistance from my host and they re-issued the licenses for me. 

The only problem now (and I feel sick to my stomach) is none of my stripe invoices are being automatically billed, I'm not sure if that is anything that I can fix on my end, or if I have to email my clients and ask them all to manually pay, I checked the stripe settings and didn't see anything about utilizing a url. (but Paypal billing continues to work )

EDIT: I was able to attempt capture the invoices for stripe. Will this settle the issue or will it still have to be manually paid by the client?

Edited by masterolive

18 hours ago, masterolive said:

EDIT: I was able to attempt capture the invoices for stripe. Will this settle the issue or will it still have to be manually paid by the client?

If you are able to do manual capture via the invoice page, then you do not need the client to do anything.  And if you are able to capture, then it should be automatically doing so.  Check the billing menu -> gatway log for any errors during the daily batch.  If it doesn't work, check your automation settings, including crons. 

On 7/14/2019 at 10:57 PM, WHMCS ChrisD said:

@masterolive PayPal has an IPN however Stripe does not, what is the domain for your website?

Sorry I missed this, the domain is hosting.masterolive.com

On 7/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, steven99 said:

If you are able to do manual capture via the invoice page, then you do not need the client to do anything.  And if you are able to capture, then it should be automatically doing so.  Check the billing menu -> gatway log for any errors during the daily batch.  If it doesn't work, check your automation settings, including crons. 

There where no gateway errors, in fact there where only successful logs, mostly things that clients have manually done during this months time period such as adding a new domain e.t.c., it just seems like the auto billing was left behind and did not attempt to execute at all.

So it seemd to me your right about it being the cron, so I've updated the cron command in the new cpanel where the installation was moved. Unfortunately I could not access the site via Putty to do a force run, and since I have it secured outside of public HTML, I cant run a browser version, so I've set the cron to run within the next hour and this will be my test to see if it resolves everything on its own, so I've left a few unpaid invoices instead of manually capturing them. I'm hoping to get a nice email of the chron report and everything.

Edited by masterolive