Edit Domain Name Registration Fields

Hi all,

I've been searching for this question/answer for a while but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? 

Essentially I need to add some extra information in the .AU domain registration fields as my customers are becoming confused when entering their Registrant Name and Registrant ID fields. So I need to know which file to edit so I can add some instructions.

Eg

where it says Registrant Name I would like to add in brackets (Your Name/Business/Company) and
where it says Registrant ID I would like to add in brackets (Your matching ABN/ACN/Business Number)

This way they are clear as to what to enter in these fields.

I thank any/all in advance with any assistance you can offer.

cheers

james

1 hour ago, WHMCS ChrisD said:

Hey @DISKMANJAMES These are Additional Domain Feilds https://docs.whmcs.com/Additional_Domain_Fields#What_are_additional_domain_fields? you could use the steps outlined in this doc and customise them to add the additional text 

Thanks @WHMCS ChrisD I appreciate your response. I don't need to add any extra fields, I just want to add a bit more info to the text area in the current fields. I do remember ages ago editing a file which had these fields within. But it just escapes me which one it was. 

Are you able to shed any light on this further? 

cheers
James

@WHMCS ChrisD

Ok so I've created the new file: /resources/domains/additionalfields.php

And added the customisations I need, and deleted the lines that I don't want to customise (see attachment).. and I've uploaded the file to the path as shown.

However when the Domains Configuration page loads up with a .AU domain name to register, the customisations I have made are not showing up.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I believe i've followed the instructions properly, but I am not 100% sure.

Again, thanks in advance for any assistance.

cheers
James

additionalfields.png

@WHMCS ChrisD

Apologies, it does actually load in the Domains Configuration page. But it's not looking right.

Now the additional fields are loading below the regular fields. 

I thought I need to also delete these regular fields from the dist.additionalfields.php file, but instructions are to NOT edit this file.

I just need the extra information inserted next to their relevant fields, such as : 

Your Business or Official Name
Your ABN, ACN or Business Number

thanks
James

additionalfields.jpg

Hi James,

6 hours ago, DISKMANJAMES said:

Apologies, it does actually load in the Domains Configuration page. But it's not looking right.

Now the additional fields are loading below the regular fields. 

there are two solutions to this - they'd all work, but it's a case of you choosing which is the simplest for your circumstances...

Option 1 - Language Overrides...

if all you want to do is change the text shown, you should be able to use Language Overrides to change the shown text...

<?php

$_LANG['autldregname'] = "Registrant Name (Your Business or Official Name)";
$_LANG['autldregid'] = "Registrant Name (Your ABN, ACN or Business Number)";

xJqViqA.png

• the downside to this method is that you should do it for each language your site uses - for any language that you didn't add an equivalent override file for, they would just see the original text, e.g Registrant Name / Registrant ID etc...
  • the upside is that after looking at your site, it only seems to be using English - so if that's the case, you should only need to create/edit the /lang/overrides/english.php file - job done. 🙂

Option 2 - Additional Domain Fields...

this is basically the page that Chris gave you, but effectively what you would have to do in your case is copy the entire .AU block to the new additionalfields.php file twice, on the first block edit each field with "Remove" => true, and then edit the second block with your text changes - otherwise, and as you have seen, it will consider your fields to be new and add them below the default ones... and if you just removed the fields you want to change, it will show your edited fields at the bottom, not where they currently are.

in your circumstances, I think this is far too much hassle and would have implications if WHMCS ever changed the content of those fields in the future... so Option 1 is better.