best backup and recover solution for whcms

You don't need anything WHMCS specific. Basically any backup file solution will work as long as you copy the files and make some integrity checks. The database is a bit more tricky, since if you have transactions going on while doing a dump you might lose them, a hot backup would be required for those scenarios. Simple solution, dump database, but for heavy traffic sites I would suggest any solution that support MySQL databases backup on the fly. By the way, the build in backup solution in WHMCS is more or less worthless because its very limited in terms of size. It just dumps your DB.

If data is what you care, the critical part to protect with WHMCS is your database, as for files, its easy and you most likely already have a local copy on your computer. What ever backup solution you implement, make sure to validate copies from time time because a backup is not really useful if you are not checking for integrity. You don't want to find out your backup files are corrupted or don't work once the disaster hits and you need them urgently. If you are serious about data protection you should have 3 copies. You don't have a real backup unless you have 3 different copies on different places that are not connected to each other.

15 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

You don't need anything WHMCS specific. Basically any backup file solution will work as long as you copy the files and make some integrity checks. The database is a bit more tricky, since if you have transactions going on while doing a dump you might lose them, a hot backup would be required for those scenarios. Simple solution, dump database, but for heavy traffic sites I would suggest any solution that support MySQL databases backup on the fly. By the way, the build in backup solution in WHMCS is more or less worthless because its very limited in terms of size. It just dumps your DB.

If data is what you care, the critical part to protect with WHMCS is your database, as for files, its easy and you most likely already have a local copy on your computer. What ever backup solution you implement, make sure to validate copies from time time because a backup is not really useful if you are not checking for integrity. You don't want to find out your backup files are corrupted or don't work once the disaster hits and you need them urgently. If you are serious about data protection you should have 3 copies. You don't have a real backup unless you have 3 different copies on different places that are not connected to each other.

thank you very much that is the real information and true 

3 different places 

thank you very much

regards

Peter

On 23/04/2019 at 1:12 PM, ppeter said:

hi!

what is the best backup and recover solution for whcms!

I saw here

https://www.whmcs.com/whats-new/

this solution

http://codeguard.com

but are there other ones?

and is it possible to backup 

mysql

and 

webspace 

separatly

thx

Peter

Hi Ppeter

For my installation I use a cron job to backup the installation and another cron job for the database.

If you use Softaculous for your clients you could use this also as a backup feature although this adds the database into the backup too.

This is what i use in terms of CRON jobs

This is to backup the Public_HTML folder into a directory in your home directory into a folder called backup. the file will appear as 25042019-public_html.zip

zip -r backup/"$(date '+\%d\%m\%Y')-public_html.zip" public_html

The Database is as follows but there may be a better way of doing this. This will be the same format at above but will be an sql file.

mysqldump -u DB-USERNAME -DB-PASSWORD DB-NAME > backup/$(date +\%d\%m\%Y)-whmcs-db.sql