Transactions and Invoices Paid Records

Hi everyone!

Hope you're doing great today. I just want to ask for your kind guidance about a few in regards to managing WHMCS account especially the part of how Invoicing and Transaction List records are related to each other. I mean for example when a client orders a service/product to me, should I need to submit a transaction record per order to submit the fees associated for it or something else? I see some invoices were paid but aren't recorded to the transaction list, particularly the ones those are paid through Account Funds.

Please enlighten me. Thanks further. 🙂

The transactions list / transactions in general are to record the payment transaction and its details such as the ID.  So any transaction that passes through a payment gateway for example should be recorded.  Since you mentioned account funds, I am guessing you mean the add funds option where someone can add $10 for example to their account for future invoices?   If so, that first transaction will be recorded in the transactions list.  However, the applying of credit to an invoice would not be recorded in the transactions list as the funds transaction was already recorded.  The credit being applied to the invoice is noticed in the invoice's own transactions list.   Also, adding those credit being applied transactions  would make the monthly transactions report more than what actually came in. 

Basically think of the transactions as a record of funds going in and out (refunds for example) of WHMCS. 

Like Steven said credit usage doesn't count as transaction and usually this is a big source of problem in WHMCS 😀 Joking apart there are ways that allows you to treat credit as transaction but it's hard and boring to achieve. Also don't forget that sometimes WHMCS loves to delete invoice items (domain renewals) so you could end up with Paid invoices with no balance at all.

Thanks for the idea everyone. Another thing. How do you manage an add fund transaction with offline payment? Should I use the transaction listing or the add funds invoice thru the client's summary info.? And what about order from clients that have an available funds on their account? Should I use the Add Order functionality or transaction?

One more thing. Scenario is that I have a client who would like to pay for a monthly term but I only offer my product for annual payments. When I use the Add Orfer functionility, it is safe to choose the monthly recurring payments. Will l don't get a problem with this idea?

Edited by Mauwiks
error typo

On 4/20/2019 at 6:20 PM, Mauwiks said:

Thanks for the idea everyone. Another thing. How do you manage an add fund transaction with offline payment? Should I use the transaction listing or the add funds invoice thru the client's summary info.?

Like any other payment.  Use the "Add payment" tab of the invoice in question and enter the amount paid, method, and perhaps any fees you have to pay to process that payment.  If no invoice, you could use add transaction under the client's transactions list, but really it is best to have an invoice attached to a transaction. 

And what about order from clients that have an available funds on their account? Should I use the Add Order functionality or transaction?

If you are ordering for them you mean?  Then yes you would use that option and any available funds / credits on the account would be used to pay for that new order.

One more thing. Scenario is that I have a client who would like to pay for a monthly term but I only offer my product for annual payments. When I use the Add Orfer functionility, it is safe to choose the monthly recurring payments. Will l don't get a problem with this idea?

If the product does not have a monthly price set, then you need to manually set the service to monthly, set the recurring price to the monthly price, and the next monthly due date.  And then don't use the auto recalculate options as it will put 0 / no amount in the recurring field since that billing cycle isn't setup in the product. 

4 hours ago, steven99 said:

Like any other payment.  Use the "Add Payment" tab of the invoice in question and enter the amount paid, method, and perhaps any fees you have to pay to process that payment.  If no invoice, you could use add transaction under the client's transactions list, but really it is best to have an invoice attached to a transaction.

Alright but can you give an example why I should use transaction functionality aside from the docs of WHMCS?

If you are ordering for them you mean?  Then yes you would use that option and any available funds / credits on the account would be used to pay for that new order.

What option do you mean? The transaction or Add New Order (Manually)?

If the product does not have a monthly price set, then you need to manually set the service to monthly, set the recurring price to the monthly price, and the next monthly due date.  And then don't use the auto recalculate options as it will put 0 / no amount in the recurring field since that billing cycle isn't setup in the product. 

This is what I did to my recent order and what I did was to edit the products after setting it up. The amount due cannot be changed in the Order info. although I already have set changes to it and OH! I didn't know about the Auto Calculate thing. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Mauwiks said:

Alright but can you give an example why I should use transaction functionality aside from the docs of WHMCS?

Without an invoice you shouldn't, in my opinion at least, use just the add transaction options.  Transactions should be tied to an invoice.  An example of a transactions not having an invoice would be like a client sending you a check with nothing due on their account.  That would be similar to an "Add funds" action and so you could create an invoice for that, add the payment and be done.  This way you have a record of where and what that money was for. 

13 minutes ago, Mauwiks said:

What option do you mean? The transaction or Add New Order (Manually)?

Well, I meant add new order but your question isn't clear as an order and a transaction are different.  An order will usually have an invoice which then has transactions.   A transaction by it self can't do anything beyond add funds to the account's credit. 

• 3 weeks later...