WHMCS miscalculates renewals

Has someone noticed that WHMCS allows someone to renew a domain for 10 years but it then fails on the registrars API saying a domain cannot be over 10 years in period? It seems WHMCS takes the current year into account when it tries a renewal or is miscalculating the dates because if a domain expires for example in 2 months from now, WHMCS lets the person renew for 10 years, but the registrars fails because that would be 10 years and 2 months. I see this happening with more than one registrar. WHMCS should only allow for a 9 year renewal if the domain is still not expired and the customer is renewing before the expiration date.

Edited by yggdrasil

The key is that you should disable "10 years" option (or even less) for the TLDs/Registrars that work in very particular ways. I do understand that WHMCS should provide a fallback but that's how it works. Frankly some Registrar are simply crazy!

1 hour ago, Kian said:

The key is that you should disable "10 years" option (or even less) for the TLDs/Registrars that work in very particular ways. I do understand that WHMCS should provide a fallback but that's how it works. Frankly some Registrar are simply crazy!

Why would I do this? If a domain is expired, its perfectly valid to renew for the maximum amount of time, that is 10 years. This happens when a person renews a domain before the expiration date, that means for most TLD's its less than -10 years already. WHMCS makes no difference since it does not take into account the existing expiration date but the API on registrars correctly do. This has nothing to do with registrars. If a TLD only allows for a maximum of 10 years, there is nothing you can do. The API from the registrars in that case is correctly giving the error that you cannot renew a domain over 10 years.

Edited by yggdrasil

1 hour ago, steven99 said:

I have seen that in the past and just changed the years offered to be less. 

But renewing for 10 years if perfectly valid and will work fine if the person is renewing the same day it expires, its on auto renewal or its renewed when it already expired. You are now losing a year because of the bug. The bug is when users do a manual renew and there is still some time left on the domain. (not a full year).

Edited by yggdrasil