Any way to disable ID Protect if I don't want to offer it anymore?

Hello everybody.

Given that after GDPR implementation, vast majority of whois services don't publish specific information about owners of domains, it's a nonsense to continue selling ID Protect. Thus, I'm looking for a way to completely disable in my WHMCS. Is this possible? Otherwise I should charge a super expensive price for it in order to discourage people from purchasing it, not fair, right?

If not possible right now, can you consider the possibility to add a switch in the configuration to shut down the option? or at the very least let me know what string should I edit to alter its description and discoourage those useless purchases to the people.

Thanks in advance. Best regards.

Uncheck ID protect checkbox for each TLD under the WHMCS admin -> Setup Menu -> Products / Services -> Domain Pricing  .    At least that would work for new domains.  Existing domains would need to be edited in their pricing as they would still have the ID protection cost in their recurring price field.  Also, if using enom, you would need to disable the ID protect at enom for each domain or at least the auto renewal of it. 

My understanding of this is that while it's not shown in the "everyday" WHOIS database; there is still a case for ID protect to prevent details being shown in the "searchable WHOIS" (to those who have access). 

It may still be required for some customers; although they are probably shady ones at that. 

Hi Marcelo,

21 hours ago, MarceloPe said:

Given that after GDPR implementation, vast majority of whois services don't publish specific information about owners of domains, it's a nonsense to continue selling ID Protect. Thus, I'm looking for a way to completely disable in my WHMCS. Is this possible?

if a client has already paid you for the IDP service, then should you be ending it early - especially without telling, or refunding, them ?

13 hours ago, steven99 said:

Uncheck ID protect checkbox for each TLD under the WHMCS admin -> Setup Menu -> Products / Services -> Domain Pricing.  At least that would work for new domains. 

if you had a LOT of TLDs to edit, then you could do that with a SQL query - but as you seem to have 70, you can possibly do it manually by unticking the checkboxes...

UPDATE tbldomainpricing SET idprotection = 0

Existing domains would need to be edited in their pricing as they would still have the ID protection cost in their recurring price field. 

I would not advise using the Bulk Pricing Updater to do this - do it manually, or code a solution - even an SQL query could be used as you're just subtracting one amount (IDP cost in client currency) from their recurring price.

Also, if using enom, you would need to disable the ID protect at enom for each domain or at least the auto renewal of it. 

I suspect that would apply to other registrars too - whilst you could run a query to change the IDP settings in the database for each domain, it would have no effect or notification with the registrar... and so, the registrar would still have to be informed (e.g., by disabling IDP per domain).

Thank you brian!

Yes, users of ID Protect are less than 10 and they really won't notice the difference as enom already hide the whois information. I just sent a notification saying it won't be renewed as it's basically a defacto feature in the enom whois.

yep, I unticked the options manually.

Yet, I forgot to remove the ID Protect from the individual accounts, and given I deactivated it from enom, WHMCS says it cannot be deactivated, dah! so, I also run this query: UPDATE tbldomains SET idprotection =  0