PayPal subscription payment applied to the wrong customer

MartinW

Hello,

I have just had a PayPal subscription payment be applied to the wrong customer.

It was supposed to be applied to customer A, but got applied to an invoice of Customer B.

Customer A, didn't have any open invoices because the transaction and invoice dates are slightly out of kilter, this usually applies the balance to a previous invoice and creates the credit, the user then has their invoice generated and the credit is applied.

Customer B, has an overdue invoice that the payment got partly applied to, there was still an outstanding amount, this invoice has a different payment method set, but it is the oldest unpaid/overdue invoice in our system, so maybe got selected by default because it couldn't find an invoice for customer A? 

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Kind Regards,
Martin

Hi @WHMCS John

I have just checked all of our PayPal subscription customers and they all have the ID set under their product, including Customer A.

Although, customer B now has the subscription ID set too? would your module have updated this or could something have previously gone wrong? I can refer to a backup prior to the payment if needed.

Kind Regards,

Martin

• 1 month later...

Do we need to cancel all existing subscriptions and let the customers sign back up?  I just realized this was happening as I only have about 20 who even use subscriptions and noticed that payments where getting applied wrong as of the latest invoices.