Product group tag is not working in whmcs 7.6.x

ThemeMetro

Version 7 is by far the worse WHMCS release in years if you ask me. They have removed so many things that people take for granted... I find out almost every other week something not working anymore or that was removed. If this is a bug, you will be lucky if they fix this next year as we are only left 2 months to the end of 2018. Usually this is not a problem with most PHP software except WHMCS is completely encoded so you are locked out of fixing anything on your own.

Edited by yggdrasil

Just now, yggdrasil said:

Did you read that in the changelogs?

they wouldn't go into that much detail - it would be nice if the changelogs were very detailed rather than a cryptic cursory summary that often doesn't explain what changes have really been made.

it's a variable that I rarely use because you could in theory have two groups called the same name (it would be crazy to do that though), so I tend to use gid values as they will be unique and won't change.

21 minutes ago, brian! said:

they wouldn't go into that much detail - it would be nice if the changelogs were very detailed rather than a cryptic cursory summary that often doesn't explain what changes have really been made.

it's a variable that I rarely use because you could in theory have two groups called the same name (it would be crazy to do that though), so I tend to use gid values as they will be unique and won't change.

Exactly, this is why I asked. If a developer was using this on his integration, and suddenly it breaks, the logical thing for him to do would be to check the change logs, and nothing...

15 minutes ago, yggdrasil said:

Exactly, this is why I asked. If a developer was using this on his integration, and suddenly it breaks, the logical thing for him to do would be to check the change logs, and nothing...

I just checked and "Boxes" is the only default template actively still using {$productinfo.groupname} - so this change has broken that template too (in the sense that it wants to output the variable, but it now no longer exists)... I guess that can be classed as a bug, even if Boxes is a deprecated template - if they're still shipping it and they've renamed one of the variables it uses, it won't take them more than a second to change {$productinfo.groupname} to {$productinfo.group_name} in the template.

to get back to your point about the changelogs, the release notes would be a better source for this *if* the template was already using the variable - e.g if standard_cart was using {$productinfo.groupname}, then you might notice the change in the Template Changes GitHub comparison links... but it isn't, so by default nobody would know about it... it would only become apparent after a thorough testing by the template developer and working through each individual template.